vortexring

Chuck Yeager attacks 'nasty & 'arrogant' British people

News report here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/05/british-people-are-nasty-and-arrogant-says-wwii-flying-ace-chuck/

I was quite surprised reading this, at home in the UK. Especially as it seems more normal for us to be saying such things about them.:D

I wonder what got his goat?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

My wife and I enjoyed a supper last night hosted by a British lady and included her cousin, his wife and his brother-in-law. We ate roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding, a first for me. We had a delightful time. I was taken back by their friendliness even though it was difficult to get them to laugh, mostly polite chuckles. What was even more surprising is that they are part time missionaries in Africa. We will see them again in church on Sunday.

The brother-in-law is a church musician. We will introduce him to Southern Blues Praise and Worship.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I was taken back by their friendliness even though it was difficult to get them to laugh, mostly polite chuckles.

We don't really laugh like Americans do. It's not that we don't have a sense of humor, we just display it differently. A grin and a quiet chuckle is like a big laugh for a lot of Brits.

Like any country we've got our good'uns and our assholes.

RonD1120

I was taken back by their friendliness even though it was difficult to get them to laugh, mostly polite chuckles.

Why were you 'taken aback'? What was your pre-conception?

Brits do laugh a lot. Perhaps not the first time they meet people though- it's a subdued politeness thing we have.

I'm disappointed in Yaeger's comments. I met him about 12 years ago while I was working in Oz and he was charming. I also live in a village in Cambridgeshire that housed US airmen during the war as we had a Fighter Group here. The local pub has a lovely framed letter from them many years later thanking the locals for the friendship and support they offered. I have seen nothing but kindness and gratitude towards US troops. There is one true fire way to piss a Brit who knows anything about the war off and that is the big American chest thumping and telling us you won the war for us and we should be grateful. It was a World War. We did it together.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I had the "pleasure" of meeting Chuck Yeager at Oshkosh one year. He attempted to use the podium to get people to harass his homeowners association into stopping collections on his HOA fees. He insisted everyone call him General, and he referred to the audience as minions.

The next time I saw him was on the day of Felix' jump from space when he broke the sound barrier as a passenger in a FA-18 running his mouth about how much more impressive it was than the jump.

He's egotistical human garbage.

I had the "pleasure" of meeting Chuck Yeager at Oshkosh one year. He attempted to use the podium to get people to harass his homeowners association into stopping collections on his HOA fees. He insisted everyone call him General, and he referred to the audience as minions.

The next time I saw him was on the day of Felix' jump from space when he broke the sound barrier as a passenger in a FA-18 running his mouth about how much more impressive it was than the jump.

Sounds like either a jerk or a presidential candidate for 2020.

billvon

Well, in Yeager's defense, he didn't get deferments to avoid military service.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

LOL he'd be too old by then, or dead.

billvon

>LOL he'd be too old by then, or dead.

He's the healthiest old (or dead) guy to ever run for president, you'll see. No one is healthier than him. He has tremendous health; everyone is talking about it.

:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.