bigbearfng

Charlotte NC protests

billvon

>Stop pretending you have a fucking clue about a city you don't live in.

Your one warning. Cut it out.

Ah...I see the inconsistent moderation still lives on - you give him free rein to blatantly troll without a mention.

But that's ok. I came back to read Incidents after there were a couple bad events at the local DZs and did a drive by here. Unfortunately, it still has all the same faults that lead me to give up the habit last time.

It's bad form to leave mid debate, but with the horse sufficiently flogged, no such concern.

Showed, in fact. Since we're at 40 or 41 (someone just died after several months), with 3 months to go, simple math would indicate an increase now.

That isn't farcical, that is simply the numbers changing. Up until the weekend annualized numbers were trending down. An unusually violent weekend changed the numbers. Again nothing farcical. Just another one of your unsubstantiated claims.

Non simplistic math would be less clear, since murders are more common in warmer times of the year. And there's a pretty big difference between an absolute decrease and "trending down significantly."

Exactly which could easily bring down the total number of murders by end of year, considering we are entering the cooler months. Which would not support your original hypothesis, nor your magically broadened hypothesis.

The hypothesis, well supported by the long list of events, is that if criminals cannot obtain guns, that they are still more than capable of committing homicide with alternatives.

An hypothesis supported by only an increase given for knife murders. Just check your own post. Now you are broadening your hypothesis without any further supporting documentation.

You're welcome to try to write off double digit knife murders in a city of 800k as insignificant.

I didn't put a label on the knife murders. Another one of your unsubstantiated claims.

You claimed the increase in knife murders supported your hypothesis that reducing guns would follow a shift to a different murder weapon. If total murders are down, then that shift would still prove to be beneficial. If total murders go down, that is beneficial even if there are more knife murders.

It would be as comical as the rest of the claims.

Since you are the only one making claims, that is indeed true.

I'm sure he's fatigued by the constant goal post moving.

I haven't set goalposts, so I can't move them either. I asked a questions. The inferences made are yours and Skycop's.

All I have said is that from my experience the use of deadly force is set at different points along the risk continuum in different parts of the world. You and skycop have had a very hard time with that.

Ah...I see the inconsistent moderation still lives on - you give him free rein to blatantly troll without a mention.

Not sure why you would accuse me of trolling. I asked you to substantiate your claims like you asked of me. Something you haven't done I might ask.

I asked a questions.

From the comfort of your home.

This is what the ridiculousness of this conversation has led to;

http://chicagoist.com/2016/10/06/top_cop_says_beaten_officer_was_afr.php

You can be justified and right, and yet if the 24 hour news cycle comes crashing down on you, your life and career can be ruined. Just ask Darren Wilson and the detective from Charlotte.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

This is what the ridiculousness of this conversation has led to

Yes discussing police conduct in our homes is absolutely ridiculous.

Simply believing police at their word in the past is quite frankly a major part of the current distrust.

From your article:

At the same time, the Ferguson-effect—or YouTube effect—narrative has come under its own wave of backlash over the last year or so. As the Atlantic pointed out, criminologists remain skeptical of the claim, as illustrated by the fact that murder rates were on the rise prior to media attention and activist demonstrations. The U.S. Attorney General’s Office has also said “there’s no data to support it.” On the other hand, there's evidence to suggest that, given CPD's demonstrated reluctance to deliver sanctions against officers for wrongdoing in the recent past, increased media attention is a net positive.

I personally give more credence to that paragraph and the links it contains than the top cop in Chicago claiming that their officers can't do their job if they are going actions are going to be reviewed. Well, they can only be reviewed by fellow officers and we don't really ever hand out any discipline.

Basically he is arguing that his officers can't do their job if they are going to be held responsible.

The officer did the right thing. Sometimes cops have to get into altercations. The suspect was not armed and shooting him would have been wrong. There were three cops at the scene. The injured officer may have made a tactical error in her approach, but failing to kill him was not an error.

If you think otherwise I question your judgement.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

skycop

I asked a questions.

This is what the ridiculousness of this conversation has led to;

http://chicagoist.com/2016/10/06/top_cop_says_beaten_officer_was_afr.php

You can be justified and right, and yet if the 24 hour news cycle comes crashing down on you, your life and career can be ruined. Just ask Darren Wilson and the detective from Charlotte.

Oh, god forbid a police officer think twice about using lethal force! It's still illegal to assault a police officer and not every situation is solved with tactical gear and trigger pulling.

Hey look, I found a single instance in which cops didn't need to kill someone high on PCP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNTxZv8rhU

Edit: Oh, and my Youtube rolled into the next video in which again cops didn't kill someone on drugs who assaulted a police officer.

Again, I know that single instances don't prove the case but saying that you're afraid of the youtube culture is bullshit.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

gowlerk

The officer did the right thing. Sometimes cops have to get into altercations. The suspect was not armed and shooting him would have been wrong. There were three cops at the scene. The injured officer may have made a tactical error in her approach, but failing to kill him was not an error.

An unarmed Cape Buffalo vs. a .375 Holland is not exactly fair - Mbogo has the edge.

If somebody full of PCP was pounding my head on the pavement, I would be extremely grateful to anyone who calmed them down with an intracranial injection of 230 grains of lead.

After all, the chemical imbalance that results in violence has been identified as a lead deficiency.

winsor

***The officer did the right thing. Sometimes cops have to get into altercations. The suspect was not armed and shooting him would have been wrong. There were three cops at the scene. The injured officer may have made a tactical error in her approach, but failing to kill him was not an error.

If somebody full of PCP was pounding my head on the pavement, I would be extremely grateful to anyone who calmed them down with an intracranial injection of 230 grains of lead.

I'm with you 100%.