speedy

Global warming alarmists reach new heights

speedy

"Expert" Says Rising Rapes In Sweden Due To Global Warming Not Soaring Muslim Immigration

I could not be bothered to read such drivel myself, but such articles can only harm any attempts to take AGW seriously.

So why start a new thread, when we already have a perfectly good one in the forum?

I feel compelled to repost the chart showing how quickly CO2 levels are rising in the atmosphere. This generation needs to understand what the means for future generations, and what we should do about it.

AlanS

***"Expert" Says Rising Rapes In Sweden Due To Global Warming Not Soaring Muslim Immigration

I could not be bothered to read such drivel myself, but such articles can only harm any attempts to take AGW seriously.

So why start a new thread, when we already have a perfectly good one in the forum?

I feel compelled to repost the chart showing how quickly CO2 levels are rising in the atmosphere. This generation needs to understand what the means for future generations, and what we should do about it.

A large portion of our country believes in creationism. Good luck trying to convincing them about the science of climate change.

AlanS

To understand climate change we really need to look at this graph.

http://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/

It shows the amount of CO2 in that atmosphere as recovered in air bubble in the ice sheets, and more recently (since 1950) with direct measurements from the top of Mauna Loa in Hawaii.

What we see from this data, is when the CO2 levels were around 180 ppm. The Earth was deep in the ice age, when it was in the 275 -300 ppm range we were in the the type of climate we have today. Changes happen over a very long time period, but CO2 level and temperature correlate in our climate history.

In the past to change the CO2 levels naturally by 100 ppm took 20,000 to 100,000 years, and notice that the decreases are much slower than the increases. So it is easier to increase CO2 naturally than decrease it.

Now look at the right-side of the chart, that is not a mistake that spike is between 1950 and now. We have increased CO2 levels about 100 ppm in a little over 50 years, it now stands at 403 ppm and the rate is only increasing. If we do nothing about this by 2100 we will be blow past 900 ppm. If we does something now by 2100 we might be around 600 ppm and slowing it down the rate of increase.

So if we think of the amount of the greenhouse gas CO2 in the atmosphere as a dial. We know the following from our climate history.

* 180 => ice age.
* 280 => Climate we've head past 2,000 years.
* 350 => Climate 11 degrees Fahrenheit warmer, sea level 100 feet higher. (Last time it was this high was before human existed)

* 400 => ? 2015
* 500 => ? 2045 (est)
* 600-900 => 2100 (est)

We are on track to move that dial to 900 by 2100, and it will keep rising beyond that. What will that do to the climate?

Welcome to the Anthropocene.

This is the data from CO2 measurements in Hawaii.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/full.html

This is the rate of increase. Right now we are increase CO2 at 3 ppm per year.

# year - mean - increase/yr
1960 - 316.91 0.54
1965 - 320.04 1.02
1970 - 325.68 1.06
1975 - 331.08 1.13
1980 - 338.68 1.73
1985 - 346.04 1.25
1990 - 354.35 1.19
1995 - 360.80 1.99
2000 - 369.52 1.62
2005 - 379.80 2.52
2010 - 389.85 2.42
2015 - 400.83 3.05

rushmc

Do you have another source for that? I think we've been over it a few times as to how shitty of a website that is.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Do you have another source for that? I think we've been over it a few times as to how shitty of a website that is.

I won't even click on that link. Don't care Watts there.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

Just what is the downside to higher CO2 levels and slightly higher temps? More food? More Polar bears? Fewer tornados? Fewer hurricanes? Lower heating bills? Thus far the only down sides have only resided in the imagination of the bed wetting alarmists.

Higher sea levels, floods, more, not fewer tornadoes due to more energy in the system, crop failure in the present arable areas, possibly offset by a shift to different productive areas. Mass migrations of desperate people driven off of low lying coastal areas, massive summertime deaths due to heat effects in areas of the world that can't afford air conditioning, higher and higher demand for electricity to run air conditioners, more tropical diseases as mosquitoes move into formerly temperate zones, ocean acidification causing a decrease in the photoplankton that is at the base of the food chain, general disruption of the food chain, lack of fresh water for cities due to loss of glaciers, large run away fires in woodland and grasslands, massive disruption of global economies due to shifting desperate populations no long being able to purchase anything, military conflict over the remaining arable land, all of these and more are possibilities as events unfold.

This does not take into account the possibility, not proven, but not farfetched either, that the feared "tipping point" into a runaway greenhouse gas and heating situation could arise. The amount of carbon and methane that will be released from from arctic sea beds when the ice is gone and the cooling albedo effect on the surface is gone is unknown at this time.

But don't worry, you will be dead or at least old before the worst of this occurs. When you are old and wetting your bed yourself there may or may not be someone around to change your sheets and clean you up.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

billvon

>And the EPA is in on it.

It's a CONSPIRACY! I knew it wasn't Bush who planted the nanothermite in the Twin Towers.

Court case starts next Tuesday.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Normal cycle

From NASA Earth Observatory:
===========
How is Today’s Warming Different from the Past?

Earth has experienced climate change in the past without help from humanity. We know about past climates because of evidence left in tree rings, layers of ice in glaciers, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. For example, bubbles of air in glacial ice trap tiny samples of Earth’s atmosphere, giving scientists a history of greenhouse gases that stretches back more than 800,000 years. The chemical make-up of the ice provides clues to the average global temperature.

Using this ancient evidence, scientists have built a record of Earth’s past climates, or “paleoclimates.” The paleoclimate record combined with global models shows past ice ages as well as periods even warmer than today. But the paleoclimate record also reveals that the current climatic warming is occurring much more rapidly than past warming events.

As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.

Models predict that Earth will warm between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius in the next century. When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual.
===========

Or if you prefer it in cartoon form:
http://xkcd.com/1732/

gowlerk

***Just what is the downside to higher CO2 levels and slightly higher temps? More food? More Polar bears? Fewer tornados? Fewer hurricanes? Lower heating bills? Thus far the only down sides have only resided in the imagination of the bed wetting alarmists.

Higher sea levels, floods, more, not fewer tornadoes due to more energy in the system, crop failure in the present arable areas, possibly offset by a shift to different productive areas. Mass migrations of desperate people driven off of low lying coastal areas, massive summertime deaths due to heat effects in areas of the world that can't afford air conditioning, higher and higher demand for electricity to run air conditioners, more tropical diseases as mosquitoes move into formerly temperate zones, ocean acidification causing a decrease in the photoplankton that is at the base of the food chain, general disruption of the food chain, lack of fresh water for cities due to loss of glaciers, large run away fires in woodland and grasslands, massive disruption of global economies due to shifting desperate populations no long being able to purchase anything, military conflict over the remaining arable land, all of these and more are possibilities as events unfold.

And back in the real world where I live, none of that is happening, in fact quite the opposite. Record food production, fewer tornadoes, population moving to the coast not away from it arable land growing not shrinking etc, etc, and all of this during the "Hottest Year Ever!!!" :o

And back in the real world where I live, none of that is happening, in fact quite the opposite. Record food production, fewer tornadoes, population moving to the coast not away from it arable land growing not shrinking etc, etc, and all of this during the "Hottest Year Ever!!!" Shocked

Enjoy that snapshot of your present life as long as you can. I assume you don't have children then?

gowlerk

***Seven year old daughter and a three year old son.

They'll probably forgive you one day.

The "Emotional Guilt" defence, wow.

No facts, no figures, even though the emotion was attempting to counter rough figures given.

Alarmist level - 500
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun