speedy

Global warming alarmists reach new heights

brenthutch

***Does it not occur to you that, "Psychotherapist and “expert on sexual criminals," Börje Svensson . . . " has nothing to do with climate science?

Didn't slow down Al Gore.

LOFL

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>http://www.cnet.com/...est-month-on-record/

July 2016 was Earth's hottest month on record

Last month was the warmest month since the late 19th century, according to data from NASA and the Japan Meteorological Agency.

Do you alarmists know no bounds? It's outrageous that you would use alarmist, inflammatory terms like "hottest" when you could just say "cold disadvantaged."

How does a PhD in astrophysics help in understanding climate change?

When a scientist makes a claim against AGW the people here are quick to say "but he is not a climate scientist!".

And wasn't that guy who claimed global warming was due to cosmic rays an astrophysicist?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

>How does a PhD in astrophysics help in understanding climate change?

Understanding science helps you understand science-intensive issues. Sort of like how a biologist is going to have more understanding of medical issues than a medieval English literature expert.

In any case, the tweet demanded that she "learn some actual SCIENCE!" which is why it was funny. An astrophysicist has learned some actual SCIENCE.

Understanding science helps you understand science-intensive issues. Sort of like how a biologist is going to have more understanding of medical issues than a medieval English literature expert.

I agree totally, thats why the comment "but he's not a climate scientist" is so annoying to me.

In any case, the tweet demanded that she "learn some actual SCIENCE!" which is why it was funny. An astrophysicist has learned some actual SCIENCE.

OK, fair comment. But it would have been better placed in "Joke of day" instead of this thread.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

speedy

I agree totally, thats why the comment "but he's not a climate scientist" is so annoying to me.

OK, fair comment. But it would have been better placed in "Joke of day" instead of this thread.

Do you understand that having a PhD in Astrophysics means you have a very good grasp of how gas, liquids and liquids behave? She studies climate on a universal scale. That's kind of like Cruz asking NASA why they're studying the Earth's atmosphere instead of only space. Earth is a pretty important part of space when it comes to our priorities.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Global warming alarmists reach new heights

Nothing is going to top the height of this global warming alarmist!
========================
Deep Space Climate Observatory (L1 point, 930,000 miles)

Say Hello to Earth's Space Weather-Fighting Robot
Inverse
July 27, 2016

Today was the first day on the job for a 1,200-pound satellite dubbed the Deep Space Climate Observatory’s — DSCOVR for short — that took over as the primary space tech that helps protect our planet from hostile space weather.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s space weather forecasts shifted to being exclusively supported by DSCOVR data instead of using data primarily from the 19-year-old Advanced Composition Explorer.

Why is this such a big deal? Space weather means a lot for the world’s electrical grids, mostly. For the uninitiated, the term refers to the movement and behavior of solar winds; coronal mass ejections from the sun; varying conditions in the magnetosphere and ionosphere; and other strange cosmic bits hurtling through the vacuum of space.. . .

Besides that, however, DSCOVR has a couple other tricks up its sleeves. Two of its instruments, operated by NASA, have to do with observing Earth from such a far distance and providing a broader view of the planet and its activity. The Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) takes photos of the full hemisphere of the sunlit side of Earth. . . .

The last instrument is the National Institute of Standards and Technology Advanced Radiometer (NISTAR), which measures the energy being reflected by the sunlit side of the sun at any given moment. Scientists use this data to track how much radiation enters and exits the Earth’s climate system — an increasingly important data point in the face of climate change.

Overall, DSCOVR is perhaps the most underrated essential space instrument used by NASA and NOAA. It’s a multitasking boss that gives us a heads up when the sun is getting a little violent, and provides us with no shortage of lunar photobombs. It’s precisely the type of thing experts and space-newbies alike can get behind.
==============

The last instrument is the National Institute of Standards and Technology Advanced Radiometer (NISTAR), which measures the energy being reflected by the sunlit side of the sun at any given moment.

Which side of the sun is the sunlit side? The inside, I suppose.

Waiting for the deniers to use this reporter's typo to show that scientists don't know what they are doing.

- Dan G

DJL

Do you understand that having a PhD in Astrophysics means you have a very good grasp of how gas, liquids and liquids behave? She studies climate on a universal scale. That's kind of like Cruz asking NASA why they're studying the Earth's atmosphere instead of only space. Earth is a pretty important part of space when it comes to our priorities.

I didn't realize there was a universal climate. Are we affecting that as well?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

speedy

You're just being petulant at this point. I'm sure you realize that the atmosphere is made up of gases, vapor, particulate matter and abides by the laws of physics. These are all things that an astrophysicist understands very well.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Here's just one example. You're welcome to peruse the entire NASA website and learn more.

Well, that's a good example of global warming alarmists reaching heights, but at only 435 miles, it certainly is not an example of "new heights."

speedy

The term "scientist" covers a lot of disciplines. Some are more closely aligned with what a "climate scientist" does than others.

For example, a micro-biologist, petrochemical engineer, or paper chemist specializing in dyes are all "scientists".

But for them to claim knowledge on climate science would be a stretch (unless they had other credentials).

OTOH, an Astrophysicist, meteorologist or oceanographer (not an ichthyologist) would have a lot of knowledge that mirrors climate science. The phrase "but they aren't a climate scientist applies a lot less to this group than the first one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DJL

You're just being petulant at this point. I'm sure you realize that the atmosphere is made up of gases, vapor, particulate matter and abides by the laws of physics. These are all things that an astrophysicist understands very well.

What makes you think I am being petulant? You said "She studies climate on a universal scale." What actually is "climate on a universal scale"?
This is what she actually does ( from NYT) :

Mack is an astrophysicist based at the University of Melbourne, Australia, whose work focuses on “finding new ways to learn about the early universe and fundamental physics using astronomical observations, probing the building blocks of nature by examining the cosmos on the largest scales,” and includes research on dark matter, black holes, cosmic strings, and the formation of the first galaxies in the Universe

I would have thought climate ends out side of our atmosphere.
That is not to say things far from our planet, the sun, cosmic rays, etc could not have an effect on our climate. However, these outside influences have been ruled out as the main cause of warming in the earths climate.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Understanding science helps you understand science-intensive issues.
**If applied within the scientific method, for sure. The problem come when livelihood and career is government-induced and science is used as a rhetorical tool rather than an investigative one. Otherwise, science is never based on a popularity vote and as long as the principles apply, challenging this popularity is a good thing.

Sort of like how a biologist is going to have more understanding of medical issues than a medieval English literature expert.
**I don't think that necessarily is true. Medicine is just as much an art as a science. The literature expert probably has several courses in modern English as well and is a fast reader. Biology doesn't even help you much with biochem.

**Astrophysics may be dealing with all basic properties, but is reasonably limited on life and ecology. Also, they still live by distances and hypothesis. From God particle to the Black hole is fine and well, but has NOTHING to do with "global warming".
Finally, how do they explain sun and temperature changes in March and Venus? I remember my residency instructor simply said: "I don't care about Mars, I don't live there"..

There is still lots of time to learn it..