billvon

unexpected consequences of climate change

One of the consequences that would be harder to see coming:
================================
Thawed Reindeer Blamed for Anthrax Outbreak in Remote Russia
Mon, 08/01/2016 - 5:07pm
Lauren Scrudato, Associate Editor
Laboratory Equipment

The Yamalo-Nenets region of Western Siberia was quarantined last week due to reports of an anthrax outbreak – the first case in the area since 1941.

More than 70 people, nearly half of which were children, were taken to a hospital in the city of Salekhard after being evacuated from the remote area. A 12-year-old boy has since died, and eight other patients have received a confirmed diagnosis of anthrax infection.

Russian authorities believe the cause of the anthrax spread is from an old reindeer carcass that was buried in permafrost about 70 years ago. A heatwave that lingered for nearly the whole month of July had temperatures rising to 90+ degrees, and exposed the reindeer to open air. The bacteria’s spores likely spread through the air to other living reindeer.

Multiple reports calculate that more than 2,000 reindeer have died from a combination of the Anthrax outbreak and the unusual heat. Efforts have been made to vaccinate thousands more animals, as well as humans, to prevent further exposure.

Those who were evacuated from the region by Russian authorities were mostly nomadic reindeer herders. The infected area is 1,250 miles northeast of Moscow.

According to Anna Popova, Russia’s chief sanitary doctor, the region had been considered formally free of the infection since 1968.

Anthrax is caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis and is spread through contact with its spores. ‘Contact’ refers to inhaling, ingesting or allowing open skin to be exposed to the spores.
==========================

Another example of your liberal desire to pick and choose winners and losers. Sure, an anthrax outbreak due to climate change is bad for reindeer and humans, but it's obviously great for anthrax spores. You alarmists always focus on the downside.

- Dan G

DanG

Another example of your liberal desire to pick and choose winners and losers. Sure, an anthrax outbreak due to climate change is bad for reindeer and humans, but it's obviously great for anthrax spores. You alarmists always focus on the downside.

Because a heatwave is climate - Gotcha.

Like I said before - Climate is not weather unless it is. Weather is not climate unless it is.
It just depends on what weather the Alarmsts want to be climate and what climate they want to be weather.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Like I said before - Climate is not weather unless it is.

Exactly. Average temperatures have NOTHING to do with climate. And melting permafrost has NOTHING to do with average temperatures.

(Unless of course there's a cold spell.)

billvon

>Like I said before - Climate is not weather unless it is.

Exactly. Average temperatures have NOTHING to do with climate. And melting permafrost has NOTHING to do with average temperatures.

So is a heatwave that lingered for the whole of july weather or is it climate?

If it is weather then your title should be "unexpected consequences of heatwaves". But it wasn't, so I guess you believe the heatwave was actually a long term temperature rise, which would then be climate change.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

speedy

***>Like I said before - Climate is not weather unless it is.

So is a heatwave that lingered for the whole of july weather or is it climate?

If it is weather then your title should be "unexpected consequences of heatwaves". But it wasn't, so I guess you believe the heatwave was actually a long term temperature rise, which would then be climate change.

Not quite.

The occurrence of prolonged heat in Siberia is weather. However the steady prolonged increase of global temperatures is climate.

As the climate continues to steadily increase temperatures the length and severity of these weather phenomenon will increase as well.

billvon

>So is a heatwave that lingered for the whole of july weather or is it climate?

A heatwave is weather.

A steady, year-over-year rise in temperatures - sufficient to melt decades-old permafrost - is climate.

Yes I agree, but in the text in your original post they did not say decades of a steady rise in temperature caused the melting. They said a lingering heatwave caused the melting. So why do you post the consequences of "climate" change and not the consequences of "weather"?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

speedy

***>So is a heatwave that lingered for the whole of july weather or is it climate?

A heatwave is weather.

A steady, year-over-year rise in temperatures - sufficient to melt decades-old permafrost - is climate.

Yes I agree, but in the text in your original post they did not say decades of a steady rise in temperature caused the melting. They said a lingering heatwave caused the melting. So why do you post the consequences of "climate" change and not the consequences of "weather"?

It doesn't have the same alarmist kick behind it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

speedy

***>So is a heatwave that lingered for the whole of july weather or is it climate?

A heatwave is weather.

Let's say we define a heat wave as three subsequent days over 30C.

Let's say average temperature in July for a particular area in the world was 26.5 degrees in 2010. Now, let's say average annual temperature increase in that area, partially related to climate change, has been 1.5C.

Now, is a July with an average temp of 32C in July 2015 with 10 consecutive days over 30C only a weather event, or could climate have some part in this discussion as well?

SkyDekker

******>So is a heatwave that lingered for the whole of july weather or is it climate?

A heatwave is weather.

Let's say we define a heat wave as three subsequent days over 30C.

Let's say average temperature in July for a particular area in the world was 26.5 degrees in 2010. Now, let's say average annual temperature increase in that area, partially related to climate change, has been 1.5C.

Now, is a July with an average temp of 32C in July 2015 with 10 consecutive days over 30C only a weather event, or could climate have some part in this discussion as well?

Words mean things.

Title of the thread vs content are at odds with each other - but that doesn't stop alarmists from trying to promote the narrative, does it?

Words mean things.

Exactly!

Title of the thread vs content are at odds with each other

My words tried to shine some light on that. But maybe you didn't get the meaning of the words. At least you understand words have meaning, so there is that...

but that doesn't stop alarmists from trying to promote the narrative, does it?

Alarmist probably spread anthrax just so they could get an article about climate change.

>Yes I agree, but in the text in your original post they did not say decades of a steady rise in
>temperature caused the melting. They said a lingering heatwave caused the melting.

It is, of course, a combination of both. The steady warming has melted decades worth of permafrost. The long heatwave this summer was the final impetus that unearthed the carcasses. Without the steady warming, this heatwave would have just melted a few inches at the top of the permafrost, which would re-freeze in the winter - as happened for decades before warming started in earnest.

If man ever determines how to control the climate, which he will not, imagine the fight to control the thermostat setting.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

If man ever determines how to control the climate, which he will not, imagine the fight to control the thermostat setting.

It'll be fine as long as it is only men who figure it out.

If women figure it out too, then we'll be in for a fight.

;)

- Dan G

DanG

It'll be fine as long as it is only men who figure it out.

If women figure it out too, then we'll be in for a fight.

;)

Right on, that is why there are lock boxes on thermostats in office buildings.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

They put lock boxes on the thermostats in my new office, but they had left the keys in them when we moved in. Some enterprising person grabbed the keys, hid them, and told everyone in the building where they were. Now we get to control the thermostat, not some secretary in another building.

- Dan G

I don't have a problem with secretaries (you assumed they were women:o) adjusting the thermostats. The problem was in a previous building where I worked only the receptionist was allowed to adjust the thermostat, and she kept it cold as fuck. She also controlled the thermostats for the whole building, even areas where she didn't go. It wasn't her fault, it was management deciding to treat their employees like children.

There are only six people in my current building. We're probably the best people to decide what the temperature should be, not the plant manager's secretary who works in a building 1/2 mile away.

- Dan G