JerryBaumchen

And another one bites the dust

Preoccupation with bathrooms,

Trying to cheat at the polls,

And this too:

www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/07/28/republicans-said-kaines-pin-was-the-honduran-flag-it-was-actually-a-symbol-of-his-sons-military-service/

Is the NC Republican party totally comprised of buffoons?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

gowlerk

Cheaters never prosper.

Explain the Hillary Campaign then.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

A district court earlier this year upheld the law. But the appeals court found that the lower court erred by seeing the law's goals as partisan rather than race-based. The state's history of racial discrimination in voting, the appeals court said, "highlight(s) the manner in which race and party are inexorably linked in North Carolina. This fact constitutes a critical — perhaps the most critical — piece of historical evidence here. The district court failed to recognize this linkage, leading it to accept "politics as usual; as a justification for many of the changes in [the voting law]. But that cannot be accepted where politics as usual translates into race-based discrimination."

What a messed up message. "Partisan based voting laws are allowed, as long as minorities aren't discriminated." :S

The court is basically saying since black=Democrat, Republicans can't make voting laws favorable to their party, but Democrats can.

How about no partisan voting laws? Better yet, how about voting districts based on geographic lines, not partisan lines?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Boomerdog

Probably.
The establishment mainline mainstream RNC is out to lunch.
But I do have to ask if I may?

Are the cemeteries still voting in your part of the world?

Which article the the Constitution prohibits dead people from voting?:ph34r:

No more than any other third world country. And I live here. A lot of room temp IQs in my part of the state.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

JerryBaumchen

From the article:

The voting law imposed a voter ID requirement, cut early voting opportunities, eliminated same-day voter registration and banned out-of-precinct voting, among other provisions.

Yeah, being able to register and vote in several precincts on the same day is a good thing. Right! Certainly no liberal BS bias there.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Well the NC law was overturned. So now the following are legal practices.

1. No voter ID required.
2. No early voting allowed.
3. You can register and vote on the same day.
4. You can vote in any precinct.

You think this is a good thing and you are happy. You can't see any problems. Oh...Kay!
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Well the NC law was overturned. So now the following are legal practices.

1. No voter ID required.
2. No Early voting allowed.
3. You can register and vote on the same day.
4. You can vote in any precinct.

You think this is a good thing and you are happy. You can't see any problems. Oh...Kay!

And what problems do you see?

Seriously, how many incidents of fraudulent voting that ID would have prevented can you name? That is, an incident where a person showed up to vote and found someone else had already voted in their name?

And what's wrong with early/absentee voting? I do it on a pretty regular basis. I drive truck and am out of town on election day some times. Would you prefer to disenfranchise me?

Wisconsin has has "register and vote" on the same day for ever (really, as long as I've been voting). No problems that I have ever heard of.

To be honest, I'm not sure how "voting at a different place" would work. Here in Wisconsin, each polling place has a list of registered voters. When a person casts a vote, their name is checked off. That way, people can't vote twice.
But I would guess that there are safeguards in place. Again, can you name an incident where someone has voted in more than one place?
I do know there was some voter fraud a few years ago where a guy was registered to vote in several places. But that's a different situation.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

According to the article in the OP, the NCSC overturned the law and thus eliminated early voting in the process. I agree with you. I generally always vote early.

In the precinct where I work, our computers are not linked to the supervisor of elections office. They are programed in pairs with the registered voters.

There are 4 or 5 precincts in my county. If no ID was required a person could register and vote 4 or 5 times on election day. He could use a fictitious name each time. I see a problem.

tkhayes

oversimplification of the process. you make it sound like people just walk in - claim to be John Doe and then get to vote. There are still checks and balances in the process and what you are claiming 'could happen' does not in fact happen.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/same-day-registration.aspx

From your cited source:

How SDR Works
Proof of residency is a key requirement in all states that offer same-day registration. In a traditional (pre-Election Day) registration, election officials have time to send a non-forwardable mailing to the prospective voter in order to verify the voter's residence before processing the registration application. Because that isn't possible with SDR, the prospective voter must present proof of residency at the time of registration. A current driver's license or ID card will suffice in all states. In some states, documents such as a paycheck or utility bill with an address is acceptable for proving residence. A few states also permit an already-registered voter to vouch for the residency of an Election Day registrant.
Voter ID: All of the SDR states also require that voters who register and vote on Election Day present documentation to verify their identity. Some states require a photo ID; others accept IDs without a photo.

From the OP, voter ID no longer required.

Furthermore, the disclaimer at the beginning of your source states:

Latest Developments: in North Carolina, the 4th U.S. Court of appeals struck down that state's 2013 law that eliminated same-day registration. This change is not reflected below, pending actions state authorities may take in response to the ruling.

Therefore, this source not valid for NC.

Therefore, this source not valid for NC.

Your idea that people can vote 4 or 5 times is not actually valid either.

As I said, there are checks and balances. There will be checks and balances, and sources of fraud will and can be identified if there is fraud. That is why the rare few fraud cases actually get caught and prosecuted. http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/05/30/poll-worker-who-voted-for-obama-multiple-times-convicted-of-voting-fraud-73217

If you think that it is so easy to vote 5 times, then I suggest you go try it with a news crew as a social experiment to clearly demonstrate how flawed the system really is and as an obvious demonstration of how much fraud really could happen. I bet you do not actually get very far.

Not exactly. Proof of identity and residence always has been (and always should be) required to register to vote.

The "Voter ID" laws that are being shoved through by Republicans (in order to reduce voting among those who they don't like) are requiring ID to cast a vote on election day.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you think that it is so easy to vote 5 times, then I suggest you go try it with a news crew as a social experiment to clearly demonstrate how flawed the system really is and as an obvious demonstration of how much fraud really could happen. I bet you do not actually get very far.

I am a poll manager so I will be working on election day. FWIW, GA requires prior registration and a state approved photo ID.

So then you already are aware of the checks and balances that contradict the claims you make, even if you are in GA.

Or is your next claim that GA is in some sort of utopian voter registration bubble that no other state has managed to figure out before you came along to help?

But thanks at least for doing some civic duty.

I was merely pointing out that the OP was rejoicing because the liberal court has created a problem that now commands priority to be solved by the next election. And further, subsequent references did not address that problem.

RonD1120

I was merely pointing out that the OP was rejoicing because the liberal court has created a problem that now commands priority to be solved by the next election. And further, subsequent references did not address that problem.

You are bearing false witness.

The problem was created by GOP legislators trying to cheat.

"The court found that by 2013, African-American registration and turnout rates had reached near parity with those of whites. But weeks after the Supreme Court weakened the Voting Rights Act in Shelby County v. Holder in 2013, Republicans said they planned to enact an "omnibus" voting law. The court's ruling continued: "Before enacting that law, the legislature requested data on the use, by race, of a number of voting practices. Upon receipt of the race data, the General Assembly enacted legislation that restricted voting and registration in five different ways, all of which disproportionately affected African-Americans."