CameraNewbie

speech plagiarism

Just accept what she said in the first place - end of story.

Huh? Are we supposed to accept the speech or her explanation of the plagiarism?

If you want us to accept the speech, then she could have gone out there and read the Gettysburg Address and you're saying we should all just accept that as her words? That makes no sense.

And if you want us to accept her explanation, which one to you propose we accept? There have been many, none of which are consistent with each other.

Face it. Your boy fucked up. And yes, he's your boy. Don't try to deny it, you'll just look silly.

- Dan G

What do you mean by that? Accept what she said in the speech? In which case, accept that she meant it, accept that she didn't plagiarise it, or not care whether she plagiarised it? Or accept her explanation of how the speech was written? In which case, which explanation do you accept as true and which are false?

At this point it's honestly difficult to know what your point is. It seems like you're having a different discussion to everyone else.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

yoink

ah.

2 different things.

I'm talking less about the content than the sensationalism of her 'stealing' stuff from her opponents.

I think it's fine that people on 2 different sides of a political divide can agree on (and actually be respectful of) their opponents positions on some things. And that should be what they mention, rather than trying to deny everything.

We understand exactly what you meant. Its still telling a "little white lie". That being she wrote most of it.

If she wants to come clean just admit that some idiot wrote it for me. I know now that its really from the mouth of Mrs. Obama. I agree with what she said.

But that would go against everything politics stands for. everything the Donald stands for. Deny, deny, deny, ignore, spin and coverup.

DanG

Huh? Are we supposed to accept the speech or her explanation of the plagiarism?

If you want us to accept the speech, then she could have gone out there and read the Gettysburg Address and you're saying we should all just accept that as her words? That makes no sense.

And if you want us to accept her explanation, which one to you propose we accept? There have been many, none of which are consistent with each other.

Face it. Your boy fucked up. And yes, he's your boy. Don't try to deny it, you'll just look silly.

Yeah, Coreeece had a brain fart. Its an introductory speech by a prospective first lady at the RNC convention. Not a speech from a soccer mom at the local PTA.

There is a reason why the Trump group keeps screwing up. Gets caught lying. Just as i wouldn't believe anything Hillary has to say. Lie, deny and coverup.

SkyDekker

If you believe she meant them, then what's the problem?

I mean, how could you not believe the third wife saying how loyal her husband is?

Trumpiness.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

What do you mean by that? Accept what she said in the speech? In which case, accept that she meant it, accept that she didn't plagiarise it, or not care whether she plagiarised it? Or accept her explanation of how the speech was written? In which case, which explanation do you accept as true and which are false?

At this point it's honestly difficult to know what your point is. It seems like you're having a different discussion to everyone else.

yoink said that if Melania just admitted that she didn't know about the plagiarism but still agreed with the words, that it would somehow bring about "respect and healing," lol.

I just think that statement is a load of shit. If this was about respect and healing, they wouldn't be making such a big deal over this in the first place. If they didn't believe she was sincere to begin with, why would they believe anything she says about it after the fact?
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

It's a big deal because, in speech-writing, you're supposed to use your own words, or credit who said them before you. Ever heard a speaker say something like "in the words of the great xxx," and then go on to say something flowery? That's how you do it.

It's not like it's that hard to take the thought (which is the important part), and find your own way to say it.

I don't think it was done on purpose; it wasn't that big. But yeah, it's the blank denial of what's taken as a given in the rest of the world that's the issue. Had only one of those parts come through, it might have been a smaller issue, or a non-issue. But it was two. That reduces the degree of chance. She seems like a nice lady, very socially skilled. That's a huge asset for a First Lady. But it has to come with the ability of staff to avoid gaffes like this.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Coreeece

yoink said that if Melania just admitted that she didn't know about the plagiarism but still agreed with the words, that it would somehow bring about "respect and healing," lol.

I just think that statement is a load of shit. If this was about respect and healing, they wouldn't be making such a big deal over this in the first place. If they didn't believe she was sincere to begin with, why would they believe anything she says about it after the fact?

I'll try once more then move on.

My post was less concerned with the content of the speech than a throw-away comment on the best way to tactically deal with the media latching onto the fact that she's nicked a couple of sentences from Michelle Obama.

What they did was deny everything, which just makes it a bigger story.

What she should have done was admit that it seems that she and the First Lady share some of the same opinions and that she thinks that shows hope for lessening the divide between the parties in the future, whether she really believes that or not. You see, that isn't a lie that can be fact-checked....

That would have been the better way to deal with the situation. A little bit of honesty combined with a little bullshit is much easier to swallow than just huge steaming piles of it.

not sure why this is a big deal. they look like idiots or they have a great deal of respect for the 'Obama agenda' - either way that is good news. for the opposing party.

Move on to real issues please....like turning the USA into a fearful police state, starting another war, or cutting taxes again to further increase the deficit, or banning women's rights, or eliminating voter rights, or dosmantling healthcare....you know those supposedly 'important things'

yoink

I'll try once more.

My post was less concerned with the content of the speech than a throw-away comment on the best way to tactically deal with the media latching onto the fact that she's nicked a couple of sentences from Michelle Obama.

What they did was deny everything, which just makes it a bigger story.

What she should have done was admit that it seems that she and the First Lady share some of the same opinions and that she thinks that shows hope for lessening the divide between the parties in the future, whether she really believes that or not. You see, that isn't a lie that can be fact-checked....

That would have been the better way to deal with the situation. A little bit of honesty combined with a little bullshit is much easier to swallow than just huge steaming piles of it.

I can agree that she didn't help herself, but this story had already blown up well before she gave a response. I doubt there was anything she could've said that would've made much of a difference.

If you think the majority of the left is looking to give the Trumps a benefit of a doubt in the midst of a heated election, then you're seriously deluding yourself.

It's funny tho that the people losing their minds over this are the same ones that say the right is desperate for going after Hillary and her private server - that level of hypocrisy says a lot.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

The hypocrisy of those that refuse legal evidence after years and millions of investigations resulting in their ignoring factual evidence over their own hate for a person based on emotional media bs is inexplicable to me.
If the "evidence" against her was criminal, the entire cabinet would have to be charged, going back a few administrations.

But don't let any of that sway the hatred in any way.

>yoink said that if Melania just admitted that she didn't know about the plagiarism but still agreed with
>the words, that it would somehow bring about "respect and healing," lol.

It would indeed. Some left wingers would continue to bitch (just as some right wingers are still bitching about Benghazi even after Clinton was exonerated) but the issue would fade away. "Melania denies using Obama's speech even though segments are identical" is a story (and an ongoing one, with all the changes in the story.) "Melania apologizes for inadvertently quoting Obama" isn't much of one.

Coreeece

With her university degree she should be well aware of plagiarism.

Oh, wait...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If these quotes were given to the writer directly my Melania (melana, malaina....whatever) - shouldn't she have been able to comment immediately on what happened?

Oddly, it's a bit like what Yoink said should have happened in the first place. (Acknowledge they are decent and common, if rather milquetoast and generic, comments, note the common basic goals of 1st ladies, and move on.)

Hire Yoink for PR director

Though, the writer should have finished with "never gonna tell a lie or desert you (mic' drop)'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's just unreal, it's so common to verify/test what you've written, that it's pretty much required at college or risk failing your submitted work.
Plagiarism verification sites are always utilized prior to submission.
Then tested again against them by the professor. If it doesn't pass, it appears it may not even be read before it is failed.
Wonder how that might affect a scholarship....

quade

Drumpf staffer, Meredith McIver, falls on sword.

See attached.

She appears to be a long time ghost writer for Drumpf going back to at least 2004 according to the books available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Meredith-McIver/e/B001ILKCEE/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_2

I'll bet her bank account looks great this morning.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Please don't say you're quoting me and then change something in the material.

Come on.

I'm no fan of Trump by a long shot, but I don't need to resort to childish names for him. His foolishness stands on it's own.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Please don't say you're quoting me and then change something in the material.

Come on.

I'm no fan of Trump by a long shot, but I don't need to resort to childish names for him. His foolishness stands on it's own.

Thank you.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So to update our story to date:

=========================================

She did it; everyone does it. "They all do it, plain and simple."

She didn't do it. She didn't copy any of it. "To think that she'd be cribbing Michelle Obama's words is crazy."

She only copied 7% of the speech. "93% of the speech is completely different than Michelle Obama’s speech."

She wrote the speech herself. "I wrote it with as little help as possible."

She didn't write the speech herself. "In writing her beautiful speech, Melania's team of writers took notes on her life's inspirations, and in some instances included fragments that reflected her own thinking." . . . "Whoever was the staff person who wrote this speech should be held accountable and should be fired."

She was only collaborating with someone she respected. "There was a process, certainly, of collaboration."

There was no collaboration; it was the staff's fault. "Her thoughts are her own thoughts. And I think if there was a mistake, it was at the staff level, and the staff should be held accountable.

She did it; her speechwriter didn't have those passages in there to begin with. "The draft of speech submitted by Melania's speechwriter, Matt Scully, did NOT include questionable passages."

She didn't do it; her speechwriter Meredith did and it was all her fault. "This was my mistake."

I wonder if it will end here, or if tomorrow there will be another denial that any plagarism took place.

Honestly, with the letter it ought to be over.

The media should stop focusing on that bit and move on to what the Trump kids are going to say today.

Ought to be far more entertaining.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Irony score <1000>

SMH

All it took was one speech - ONE speech - now the left s concerned about honesty again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DJL

***Drumpf staffer, Meredith McIver, falls on sword.

See attached.

She appears to be a long time ghost writer for Drumpf going back to at least 2004 according to the books available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Meredith-McIver/e/B001ILKCEE/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_2

I'll bet her bank account looks great this morning.

Ha, it took me a second to figure out what you were talking about. I have the Drumfinator https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/drumpfinator/hcimhbfpiofdihhdnofbdlhjcmjopilp?hl=en extension on my computer, courtesy of John Oliver. It changed it for me.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher