StreetScooby

So, my thread has been blocked...

Elisha

The reason I can't read Ann Coulter is not the content of her arguments, it's the volume. I would have to wear earplugs to get far enough into her dissertation to find out if she has a point hidden amongst the snark.

I read her weekly column, but yeah....the snark is THICK! I call her more a bitchy cheerleader for the right. It's really not that long of a weekly column and sometimes I like it...but many times it's like she can't think of anything useful to argue about and belabors some meaningless event that no one cares or ought to care about.

I read one of her books and it was mediocre good for awhile but at least topical, but the entire last chapter was pretty much "democrats, I hates them, I hates them, I hates them.......for about 5 pages" I won't touch another book. It was worse than a Whoopie Goldberg 'comedy' skit, or Al Franken's radio show (for an analogy for the 'other' team). Just don't need that kind of vitriol from anybody on any side on any topic

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

StreetScooby

This is a conversation the country needs to have, now.

Perhaps, but do you think your post was written in a manner conducive to an environment where that conversation could take place?

You knew the moderators where going to lock or delete your thread and maybe even ban you - how then could we discuss it?

This is part of the problem - Rather than focusing on how to improve the system, we're all preoccupied with bickering over inflammatory racial issues and nothing ever gets done.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

You bring up some valid and interesting points, and I was looking forward to the discussions generated therefrom.

But you torpedoed yourself, even in the hot button topic forum.

Fats Domino said, "Ain't that a shame"
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The most likely thing we can do by having a conversation regarding the behavior of other people is sound either paternalistic or authoritarian, and piss them off. Effective, huh? Has it worked so far?

How effective has the conversation minorities have been having about majority prejudice been? Thought so.

Personally, I can only help by treating everyone, regardless of color, ethnicity, religion, gender, or political belief, as human first, politely, and assume that they have just as much right to think for themselves as I do.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

How effective has the conversation minorities have been having about majority prejudice been?

It's reminiscent of a story I once heard as a child, entitled, The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

wmw999

Personally, I can only help by treating everyone, regardless of color, ethnicity, religion, gender, or political belief, as human first, politely, and assume that they have just as much right to think for themselves as I do.

The endless cycle of poverty and crime in the inner city hasn't solved itself. It's going to take unity among the people and a bipartisan effort in order to alleviate the burden. The left has to be willing to recognize the problem and address it without shouting "racism!" - and the right is going to have to put aside their prejudice and open their pockets to help fix it.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

The left has to be willing to recognize the problem and address it without shouting "racism!" - and the right is going to have to put aside their prejudice and open their pockets to help fix it.

Rather than give credit or affix blame, perhaps aim for..."we are going to have to put aside our prejudice and open our pockets and minds to help fix it."

...all of which you also placed firmly at the feet of the left-of-centre Americans who apparently have enabled all these problems.

The essence of being American is taking responsibility for your life, IMO. If you're not doing that, then you are missing out on the fruits of being American.

can you really believe a majority of your citizens are actually capable of maintaining a civil and productive conversation on a number of sensitive emotional issues, most especially this current one?

It is time for a blunt conversation that everyone can participate in. Otherwise, when will this bullshit end? And by bullshit I mean anyone and everyone who fails to see that personal responsibility is the foundation for a civilized society.
We are all engines of karma

Unfortunately your deliberately highly inflammatory presentation makes it unlikely that any meaningful discussion of any of the points you raise will follow.

Yes, GeorgiaDon, I can appreciate how inflammatory the title is for some people. Why did I choose those words?

Last week, I'm coming out of the city, and there were 3 black teenagers walking up and down the aisle with their pants below their butt talking about n-gr this and n-gr that, as casually as they breathed. WTF?

There's a "school" in my town that houses ~300 incorrigible black juvenile delinquents from the city. For those they let out of the facility, their conversations are n-gr this and n-gr that (heard at my town's train station). And, it's clearly a source of pride with them. None of these kids have ever seen a responsible adult in their life. Literally, they are basically animals. No self discipline, no regards for others. Our local cops respond to an average of 3 calls per day at this facility. And we're not talking about simple infractions. Gang rape, riots, attacks on teachers are the norm.

Now, we have a president using words that has ended up encouraging blacks to kill cops, claiming their "grievances" are justified.

This is the "white mans" fault? Bullshit. Its time for that culture (and I use that word loosely) to step up and take care of themselves and their families in a civilized society. Giving them more money, or pandering to their sense of victimization must stop. Now.

Unlike you I don't blame that on "liberals".

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I put much of the blame on the war on drugs and other institutionalized mechanisms that end up placing a large proportion of the African-American male urban population in prison or under supervision of the judicial system

I served in a Grand Jury here a few years back (30 days of listening to cases from prosecutors that needed our assent to pursue the cases). During that 30 day period, there were lots of DWIs, homicides were all Hispanic illegal aliens, rapes were all Hispanic illegal aliens, and drug offenses were all young black men. Simple statements of fact.

One of the young black men actually came in front of us to address the charge of having 1 gram of crack that he tried to sell. This guy was in community college, clearly trying to improve his lot in life. He messed up. Yet, he was charged with a felony. I can still feel the shock of hearing that. The prosecutors ruined his life for a f'ing gram. It was the wrong thing to do. I have no idea if the prosecutor plead it down. I can only hope they did. This guy was trying to make something of his life.

If you agree this is a conversation that needs to be had, how would phrase it?

You really should already know any incendiary threads that violate the rules of the site that gets shit-canned, leaves zero tolerance for bitching about it in another thread posted on the same site.

Yes, it's an incendiary thread. But it's also a blunt question that really needs to be addressed by all parties. This shit has to stop, on both sides.

As un-pc as I pride myself to be, there are just some words in the lexicon albeit, rare that should never be used and you used one of those words. Further, you handed those not of like view the very weapon to use against you. I hope this is a lesson well learned.

And that in itself is part of the issue, IMO.

When making a point on a flashpoint subject, it is usually best to avoid verbiage that can be used to invalidate your thesis.

But it is that verbiage, and associated behaviour that needs to be addressed. Yes, this is a flash point issue. There are blacks out there that are advocating killing cops, for Christ's sake. And they are killing cops, while the president is saying they have legitimate concerns. It's insane.

Martin Luther King used the term 'negro,' and so do I.

Don't think for a moment that I use the n-gr word casually. I don't. But this shit is getting completely out of control. I grew up in Baton Rouge, and those cops were killed one mile from where I grew up. Having to call up and check on friends who are BRPD was simply too fucking much.

Perhaps, but do you think your post was written in a manner conducive to an environment where that conversation could take place?

It's the conversation this country needs to have, and it needs to have it now, IMO.

Rather than focusing on how to improve the system, we're all preoccupied with bickering over inflammatory racial issues and nothing ever gets done.

Hey, it's not my word, it's how some blacks refer to themselves.

StreetScooby

When making a point on a flashpoint subject, it is usually best to avoid verbiage that can be used to invalidate your thesis.

But it is that verbiage, and associated behaviour that needs to be addressed. Yes, this is a flash point issue. There are blacks out there that are advocating killing cops, for Christ's sake. And they are killing cops, while the president is saying they have legitimate concerns. It's insane.

Agreed.

Be advised that there are people who wouldn't say 'shit' if they had a mouth full of it.

I have heard hour long discussions between negroes where, if you removed 'motherfucker' and 'nigger' from the text you could have jotted it down on an 3x5 card, both terms having less significance than punctuation.

Nevertheless, a beige person using such verbiage is deemed sinful beyond redemption.

In any event, you should remember that using such terms will tend to get the odd uterus in a knot, and there WILL BE REPERCUSSIONS.

You have been warned.

winsor

Agreed.

Be advised that there are people who wouldn't say 'shit' if they had a mouth full of it.

I have heard hour long discussions between negroes where, if you removed 'motherfucker' and 'nigger' from the text you could have jotted it down on an 3x5 card, both terms having less significance than punctuation.

Nevertheless, a beige person using such verbiage is deemed sinful beyond redemption.

In any event, you should remember that using such terms will tend to get the odd uterus in a knot, and there WILL BE REPERCUSSIONS.

You have been warned.

I think the movie Rush Hour gave an excellent example of this kind of thing. Black cop says "what's up my nigga" to the black bartender, he gives him a look and a nod. Jackie Chan later says the same thing, and the bartender goes ape shit and the brawl starts.

Last week, I'm coming out of the city, and there were 3 black teenagers walking up and down the aisle with their pants below their butt talking about n-gr this and n-gr that, as casually as they breathed. WTF?

And then there are skydivers who yell "HEY ASSHOLE!" at a whole plane load of skydivers, who all then shout "WHAT?" back at them. Students even hear this on occasion.

That is quite different than walking up to someone (say a cop) on the street and saying "Hey, asshole, get out of my way." They would (rightly) interpret that differently, even though it was exactly the same word. (Please take my word for this and don't try it.)

The term "nigger" has been used for over a century as a racial slur. Most people take it that way.

Now, we have a president using words that has ended up encouraging blacks to kill cops . . .

And cops use words that end up encouraging blacks to kill cops. Does that mean it's their own fault they are being killed?

The term "nigger" has been used for over a century as a racial slur. Most people take it that way.

There are people that use it as a term of endearment, and they praise the incumbent behaviours that come with that. If you're not seeing that, you're not paying attention.

The "cottage school" in my town doesn't have 300 white kids, nor 300 hispanic kids, nor 300 asian kids. It's 300 black kids that NYC family judges have ruled to be incorrigible. What's wrong with that picture?

This must stop. Now. And it's not going to stop with the conversation promoted by Obama's administration.

Obama's administration has dictated that schools with black kids can no longer be suspended for violent behaviour. What's the result of that? Violence has gone through the roof.

This must stop, now. And the only way it's going to stop is to have a blunt conversation.

A friend of mine is NYPD. He's being called into additional time to deal with BLM marches. Here I am telling him to be safe out there. Have you ever looked into someone's eyes when you say that, and realize that Christ he may not be around the next day? Due to Obama saying these folks have legitimate complaints? It's fucking insane.

It has to stop.

There are people that use it as a term of endearment, and they praise the incumbent behaviours that come with that. If you're not seeing that, you're not paying attention.

So you would walk up to a cop and call him an asshole, since skydivers use that as a term of endearment?

Or can you really not see that almost-universally offensive words are sometimes used by people who know each other in a different way? If so, I'll make it simple - you can't use that word here, or similar racial, religious or ethnic slurs.

Obama's administration has dictated that schools with black kids can no longer be suspended for violent behaviour.

No, he didn't. The executive order requires schools to "not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools." That is the opposite of singling one group out for discipline, and says nothing about suspension, violence or skin color.

StreetScooby

They DO have legitimate concerns. You have even described an example from your own experience. However, shooting cops (or anyone else) is NOT the way to deal with the concerns. Obama didn't advocate violence as a solution to concerns.

It is perfectly possible to acknowledge concerns without endorsing behavior.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If so, I'll make it simple - you can't use that word here, or similar racial, religious or ethnic slurs.

Fine. Understood. And this shit will continue unabated, IMO.

No, he didn't.

Yes, he did. I read the local papers every day, and that's been the net effect. FYI.

>Yes, he did. I read the local papers every day, and that's been the net effect.

You originally said "Obama's administration has dictated that schools with black kids can no longer be suspended for violent behaviour." Now you are saying "well, maybe he didn't say that, but that's the effect?"

If you are calling for an open and frank discussion, dishonest tricks like that are going to guarantee any such discussion will fail.