JerryBaumchen

A very bad night in Nice, France

This is the downside of the information world.

It's much easier to plan attacks now. Where, when, how - all that information is available on the internet rather than having to actually make contact with specific people or groups.

It's also much more certain that your message will get out if you commit one and it's much easier to reach a wider audience to convince them to do the same.

I think that this is a point where freedom of the press isn't a benefit to society. I'd hope that one day press associations around the world would be able to agree that the only coverage of something like this would be 'Terrorist attack kills 80 in Nice', with no mention of affiliations, grievances, history or even name of the killer.

Take away the possibility of fame or using the media as a vehicle for your propaganda and we might see a decrease in both terrorist and domestic attacks.

Of course that will never happen. Even if somehow the media outlets agreed to it, politicians would let the information slip for their own purposes.

The really sad thing, but the thing I remind myself every time Ron comes on here and prophesises the end of the world when something like this happens, is that in the large scheme of things this isn't even a blip on the radar. The only real consequence is to steel the resolve of nations against this sort of action... There is no possible way that terrible tragedies makes any meaningful difference in the way the world works in the long term - which makes it all the more tragic.

Who can even begin to answer why? Right now, besides the grief of the victims, I want to know how many people were involved in planning and doing this thing.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

winsor

***Who can even begin to answer why?

Me. Read the Koran.

Right now, besides the grief of the victims, I want to know how many people were involved in planning and doing this thing.

1.3 billion.

Getting a little nasty in here. I understand the anger, but it's not going to help. Religions don't kill people....people kill people? I agree, the Koran teaches some evil things. Those 1.3 billion still somehow find a way to focus on the good parts and not the evil parts. Mostly.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

******Who can even begin to answer why?

Me. Read the Koran.

Right now, besides the grief of the victims, I want to know how many people were involved in planning and doing this thing.

1.3 billion.

Getting a little nasty in here. I understand the anger, but it's not going to help. Religions don't kill people....people kill people? I agree, the Koran teaches some evil things. Those 1.3 billion still somehow find a way to focus on the good parts and not the evil parts. Mostly.

People have been using religious ideology to kill other people with. So yes, religion kills, however indirectly it may be.

gowlerk

Me. Read the Koran.

1.3 billion.

People kill people?

Wait - What?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

nolhtairt

*********Who can even begin to answer why?

Me. Read the Koran.

1.3 billion.

People have been using religious ideology to kill other people with. So yes, religion kills, however indirectly it may be.

Holy crap -

So religion is a gun? Or a Lorry?

Why don't we have religion laws then?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

gowlerk

Me. Read the Koran.

1.3 billion.

Yeah, yeah, I know.

If you had been through the ghastly times in the Weimar Republic where starvation was a reality, there was a lot you may have tolerated for being able to eat again, and adhering to the system that made that possible may have made a lot of sense.

That doesn't change the fact that the whole ideology was fundamentally evil, and it was spelled out quite clearly in Mein Kampf. There is no surprise that things turned out the way they did.

I have no sympathy for followers and apologists for psychopathic perverts of any stripe. Compared to Muhammad, Charlie Manson is a study in sweetness and light.

I don't hate Muslims per se, but I despise Islam in any form.

BSBD,

Winsor

It's pretty much at the bottom of my list as well. And I don't even like the ones at the top very much. I understand most Muslims are born into it and taught it young. What really blows my mind is converts. Why would anyone convert to a religion that demands death to apostates?

gowlerk

It's pretty much at the bottom of my list as well. And I don't even like the ones at the top very much. I understand most Muslims are born into it and taught it young. What really blows my mind is converts. Why would anyone convert to a religion that demands death to apostates?

Even more mind blowing are women who converts... :S

Hi Ken,

Why would anyone convert to a religion that demands death to apostates?

Everyone is converted to any religion. Think Catholic schools and being raised in the Muslim culture.

And for some, religions are just a crutch to get through life with.

As for your premise; young, easily swayed, peer pressure, etc.

Jerry Baumchen

Yes, I guess converts are people who were looking for something. And were convinced by someone they trusted for whatever reason. The bad parts just didn't get talked about.

***Right now, besides the grief of the victims, I want to know how many people were involved in planning and doing this thing.

1.3 billion.
3.8 billion actually. (How do you feel about being involved in the planning and doing of this act? Hopefully you feel at least a little guilty.)

billvon

***Right now, besides the grief of the victims, I want to know how many people were involved in planning and doing this thing.

1.3 billion.

3.8 billion actually. (How do you feel about being involved in the planning and doing of this act? Hopefully you feel at least a little guilty.)

I would LOVE to see how you justify that position.

So far all evidence points to the acts of a lone wolf, who was not motivated by religious motives.

We are very sad and grieving.

But that does not give us licence to hate on the basis of lies and/or misinformation.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss