ridestrong

Race Relations in America, Getting Better or Worse?

gowlerk

***It's 2016, we have a 2 term black president. Have race relations been improving or getting worse?

Race relations in America are definitely improving. Despite the recent events. Y'all still have a lot of work to do, but at least you're talking about it.

We are still a very segregated society. What we need is an inner city refugee program so blacks can spread out beyond the long arm of the law. - like 1 black per 10 whites in any given city.

We have like 10 black people up here in a population of 1000 - and they love it. We certainly can find room for about 90 more. Anton plays charity poker with us and runs the bowling alley karaoke on Friday and Saturday nights - tho sometimes it goes to his head a bit. He reminds me a little bit of Chris Rock and Tim Meadows in the movie Grownups:

These are My White People
https://youtu.be/gOmdVGrQUlA?t=17
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

That's not only racist, but an extremely degrading and untrue statement.

You are incorrect, and the statement is true. Try reading it again.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Coreeece

******It's 2016, we have a 2 term black president. Have race relations been improving or getting worse?

Race relations in America are definitely improving. Despite the recent events. Y'all still have a lot of work to do, but at least you're talking about it.

We are still a very segregated society. What we need is an inner city refugee program so blacks can spread out beyond the long arm of the law. - like 1 black per 10 whites in any given city.

We have like 10 black people up here in a population of 1000 - and they love it. We certainly can find room for about 90 more. Anton plays charity poker with us and runs the bowling alley karaoke on Friday and Saturday nights - tho sometimes it goes to his head a bit. He reminds me a little bit of Chris Rock and Tim Meadows in the movie Grownups:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/a-matter-of-black-lives/399386/

^^^ a good read on Black on Black violence.

piisfish

Maybe it would get better if you guys stopped calling African-American, Latinos etc. Just Americans would help. Or call whites European Americans. It seems you are a divisive / categorising people anyways.

Who are "you guys"? Ethnic and racial groups insist on these divisive labels.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.

Who is "they"?

And when do I get to choose "our" moniker?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.

Who is "they"?

Who is stopping you?

If you're short of ideas, I'd suggest "Trollish American".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.

Who is "they"?

Who is stopping you?

Juvenile is becoming a pattern with you john.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

*********No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.

Who is "they"?

Who is stopping you?

Irony meter exploded.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

************No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.

Who is "they"?

Who is stopping you?

Irony meter exploded.

When you don't have a counter-argument, you sometimes become a grammar and spelling nazi.

Irony meter blew up your ass. :P

wmw999

Wendy P.

Is this . . . " They "?

turtlespeed

***No, they're called by labels regardless. If that's going to happen, they'd prefer to choose the label rather than having it assigned by whoever has the loudest mouth.

Wendy P.

Is this . . . " They "?

I'd look for a white power hate video to counter that. But it's so obvious that I don't need to bother....
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Those are individuals (and not terribly likeable, probably -- I don't tend to watch clickbait videos for either "side").

The "they" I was referring to was ethnic and racial minorities, as described by Croc (but you knew that).

As a rule, I try to call people by their preferred name, when it's indicated, and when appropriate (individual names are always best; much better than things like "hey you" or "hey white dude" or "hey Mexican dude").

But that's hard when one is referring to a group, even a small group (like skydivers). Isn't it? And it's disingenuous to say that an entire group is represented by any one person, particularly when that one person isn't elected, or chosen by people beyond themselves or a small group.

Do you consider Obama to represent you in everything? Would you appreciate someone posting something you considered to be inflammatory, and implying that you support it because you're also an American?:)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Coreeece

******It's 2016, we have a 2 term black president. Have race relations been improving or getting worse?

Ron would have a conniption fit. :D

piisfish

Maybe it would get better if you guys stopped calling African-American, Latinos etc. Just Americans would help. Or call whites European Americans. It seems you are a divisive / categorising people anyways.

there was an effort for this a decade ago - surprisingly, it was labelled horribly racist and insensitive

go figure

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

wmw999

Would you appreciate someone posting something you considered to be inflammatory, and implying that you support it because you're also an American?:)

it's called Speaker's Corner

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

wmw999

Those are individuals (and not terribly likeable, probably -- I don't tend to watch clickbait videos for either "side").

The "they" I was referring to was ethnic and racial minorities, as described by Croc (but you knew that).

As a rule, I try to call people by their preferred name, when it's indicated, and when appropriate (individual names are always best; much better than things like "hey you" or "hey white dude" or "hey Mexican dude").

But that's hard when one is referring to a group, even a small group (like skydivers). Isn't it? And it's disingenuous to say that an entire group is represented by any one person, particularly when that one person isn't elected, or chosen by people beyond themselves or a small group.

Do you consider Obama to represent you in everything? Would you appreciate someone posting something you considered to be inflammatory, and implying that you support it because you're also an American?:)

Wendy P.

As an American, we have to own the decisions of those we have elected.

We don't have to agree, we just have to own it.