ridestrong

Race Relations in America, Getting Better or Worse?

SkyDekker

Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

I think A LOT of people, especially in the black community, thought that race relations would improve with a black president. However, it seems that things have only gotten worse, or at least that seems to be the general perspective.

We seem to be heading in a more divisive direction than a unifying one... [:/]
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

ridestrong

***Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

I think A LOT of people, especially in the black community, thought that race relations would improve with a black president. However, it seems that things have only gotten worse, or at least that seems to be the general perspective.

Obama hasn't exactly helped matters with some of the statements he has made over the years.

ridestrong

***Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

Race relations would be better or there would be a better focus on race relations?

Of course when Obama makes any statement regarding anything race related he gets vilified for it.

SkyDekker

******Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

Race relations would be better or there would be a better focus on race relations?

Of course when Obama makes any statement regarding anything race related he gets vilified for it.

Because he does it in a very divisive fashion, just like he did with talks about the suspension of refugee programs even tho he suspended programs twice during his presidency.

Rather than just stating the facts, he should also provide a bit of perspective on those figures as well - but then again, that would be viewed as making excuses for the cops, so I guess he's in catch 22.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

*********Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

Because he does it in a very divisive fashion, just like he did with talks about the suspension of refugee programs even tho he suspended programs twice during his presidency.

Rather than just stating the facts, he should also provide a bit of perspective on those figures as well - but then again, that would be viewed as making excuses for the cops, so I guess he's in catch 22.

I would venture to guess he has witnessed first hand how black people get treated differently. His comments would then indeed be seen as divisive by those who believe that is no race issue in the US, or think it isn't that big of a problem since there is no slavery anymore.

SkyDekker

************Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

I would venture to guess he has witnessed first hand how black people get treated differently.

Growing up in the inner city, I know plenty of white people that have experienced police brutality - some as young as 15 years old - they thought he was in a gang and beat him for information. In LA, I was handcuffed and then beaten and maced repeatedly. It was so bad that I seriously felt that I might die of asphyxiation.

The thing is, is that the majority of black people live in large cities where there is a shit ton of cops, so of course they're gonna have more run-ins with the law, and therefore are more likely to have a negative experience.

Maybe it would get better if you guys stopped calling African-American, Latinos etc. Just Americans would help. Or call whites European Americans. It seems you are a divisive / categorising people anyways.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

SkyDekker

Not sure what black president has to do with any of it.

It's an unrelated fact, but it could also be nice setup for a segue into blaming the victim, if one is so inclined.

On the large scale things are improving. Of course trend lines are never perfectly smooth. But compared to 50 years ago, we're doing much better today. The issues we're dealing with at the moment are nothing more than further growing pains.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

piisfish

Maybe it would get better if you guys stopped calling African-American, Latinos etc. Just Americans would help. Or call whites European Americans.

Lol, I think your reality check just bounced.

Coreeece

***Maybe it would get better if you guys stopped calling African-American, Latinos etc. Just Americans would help. Or call whites European Americans.

Lol, I think your reality check just bounced.how high?
Can you please explain why you think my thinking is not valid?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Ronhend

I found this to be pretty interesting.

https://youtu.be/ThRb9x-RieI

Ron

How dare you!

Line up - you need an extra dose of kool aide.

The media is coming for you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

piisfish

******Maybe it would get better if you guys stopped calling African-American, Latinos etc. Just Americans would help. Or call whites European Americans. It seems you are a divisive / categorising people anyways.

Lol, I think your reality check just bounced.how high?
Can you please explain why you think my thinking is not valid?

If you think calling people "African-Americans" is divisive, then perhaps you should consider the source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/us/african-american-becomes-a-term-for-debate.html

From Article:
"The term African-American has crept steadily into the nation's vocabulary since 1988, when the Rev. Jesse Jackson held a news conference to urge Americans to use it to refer to blacks."

''For me the term African-American really does fit,'' said Mr. Obama, 43. ''I'm African, I trace half of my heritage to Africa directly and I'm American.''

...and all this is really a good example of where much of the division is coming from.

People like Jesse Jackson have made a career race baiting every fucking issue that they possibly can.

Obama is now in a position where he can set the record straight, but all he does is spew a bunch of numbers with derisive implications without providing any perspective on why those numbers are the way they are. Why? Because he knows that the truth wouldn't be received well by the vocal race baiters in the African-American community - and the last thing that he wants is to end his "legacy" by being called an uncle tom.

...and that's a legitimate issue. I have plenty of successful black friends that have "made it out da ghetto" - but they aren't looked upon favorably by their brothas still stuck in the hood - They are considered "sell-outs," or "uncle toms"

A good example of this is Detroit's Mayor Dennis Archer during the 90s. He was one of the best things to ever happen to the city. The economy was booming and crime was at an all time low. We had big plans - we were rebuilding and new developments were underway - things were looking good.

After his re-election, a smear/recall campaign came out implying/painting him as an uncle tom for establishing connections with white suburban business owners to help redevelop the downtown area.

After all that drama he decided not to run for re-election in 2001 and was succeeded by Kwame Kilpatrick, an OG thug that ran the city back into the ground and is now serving 28 years in a federal prison.

Race relations are a two way street. . .

That was a top LEO, who happens to be black, speaking to the EXACT thing Nolhtairt was saying with Obama running his mouth off inflaming the situation without any facts to back up what he was saying. You can google just about any response he has to any incident, especially those involving guns, black, and cops, if you need to actually hear his voice saying the words.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

ridestrong

It's 2016, we have a 2 term black president. Have race relations been improving or getting worse?

Race relations in America are definitely improving. Despite the recent events. You have to consider the starting point. As in slavery followed by Jim Crow. Y'all still have a lot of work to do, but at least you're talking about it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Everyone in the US has the same rights now apart from the transgendered. That's the last DNA group still fighting for equality.

Our current issues are class relations camouflaged as racial.

A person's physical description is just that. Where we get into trouble is when people stop at the physical description and draw their conclusions and statistics from only that or when people go beyond the physical description but others take them back to physical descriptions.
Inner city poor does not mean black nor illegal immigrants mean Mexicans.

We need to look past a person's DNA. We should stop using it for statistics as it doesn't tell the accurate story.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

That's only partly true. You can still pretty accurately predict the financial class of a person by their skin colour. That is statistically speaking. I know stats can be used to mislead, but this one is pretty clear.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

That's only partly true. You can still pretty accurately predict the financial class of a person by their skin colour. That is statistically speaking. I know stats can be used to mislead, but this one is pretty clear.

That's not only racist, but an extremely degrading and untrue statement.

Or are you one of those people that think the only non white people with money are drug dealers, musicians, and pro athletes? :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.