normiss

Is America finally ready to talk about guns?

How are these:

1. Uniformity, so you can't avoid them simply by crossing a city boundary or state line.

2. Universality, so you can't avoid them by buying over the internet.

3. Record keeping.

4. Mandatory reporting of stolen firearms.

5. Mandatory gun safety classes at regular intervals (say every 2 years, like for pilot licenses)

Supposed to fix this:

Yes. The shootings are overwhelmingly gang bangers offing each other in retaliation for being "dissed", and are located in a few neighborhoods in the city and a couple of suburbs. Unfortunately their marksmanship is none too good and neighbors get hit too. Almost all black on black.

I wouldn't go into Englewood, Garfield Park or Austin after dark. I'd go pretty much anywhere else in the city.

Derek V

Foolish or risky maybe, but not unsafe.

Unsafe is a synonym for risky.

risk·y
ˈriskē/Submit
adjective
full of the possibility of danger, failure, or loss.
"it was much too risky to try to disarm him"
synonyms: dangerous, hazardous, perilous, high-risk, fraught with danger, unsafe, insecure, precarious, touch-and-go, treacherous, parlous; More

Derek V

Hooknswoop

I find that sickening.

That is because you are looking at the issue emotionally and not logically.

Derek V

Nah, not really. Being fine with the highest murder and mass shooting rates in the civilized world just so you can walk around with a gun is sickening.

The fact you need a gun to feel safe in your society is sickening.

The fact that you will sacrifice people to hold on to the idiotic belief you are going to be able to overthrow your government, is sickening or just plain stupid.

Agreed.
It also came to mind today when someone at work mentioned some new poll numbers for "Proud to be an American" (whatever that is interpreted as).
I thought, sure I'm proud to be an American, but it's god damn embarrassing these days.

normiss

Agreed.
It also came to mind today when someone at work mentioned some new poll numbers for "Proud to be an American" (whatever that is interpreted as).
I thought, sure I'm proud to be an American, but it's god damn embarrassing these days.

The USA has had the world's most powerful military continuously since the end of WW2. In that time:

Korea - stalemate.
Vietnam - total screw-up
Iraq 1 - success against a far far weaker opponent
Afghanistan - chance of success blown by shift of focus to...
Iraq 2 - Initial success followed by a total shambles due to ineptitude.

Not a great record considering the amount of treasure invested by the taxpayers.

Meanwhile our infrastructure is crumbling, our kids educations are suffering from lack of investment, our police seem out of control...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hooknswoop

I find that sickening.

That is because you are looking at the issue emotionally and not logically.

Derek V

Out of curiosity, how many dead people are OK with you? How many crippled? I realize "0" is not a realistic number, but what is, in your "logical" mind?

BTW I think it's interesting that you agreed the DUI laws were not a good proxy for laws related to the use of guns to commit crime, yet you keep on bringing up that same argument. What's up with that?

Don

Out of curiosity, how many dead people are OK with you? How many crippled? I realize "0" is not a realistic number, but what is, in your "logical" mind?

I think the current rate is fine. I would be all for reducing it as long as restrictions on the 2nd are not increased. Unless you are drug dealer, gang banger, etc., your odds of getting shot are extremely low.

I have a 1 in 133 chance of dying in a automobile accident.
I have a 1 in 358 chance of dying by assault with a firearm.

It is odd that several anti-gunners in this thread have posted they don't feel unsafe walking around anywhere or 99% of Chicago, yet want more gun control laws.

I do not believe more gun laws will make us safer.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/gun-laws-deaths-and-crimes/

BTW I think it's interesting that you agreed the DUI laws were not a good proxy for laws related to the use of guns to commit crime, yet you keep on bringing up that same argument. What's up with that?

I don't think education, enforcement, and stiffer penalties is a cure- all, but it would have an impact. The gang banager won't be affected much, except by the enforcement. Increased police patrols in rough neighborhoods would have an impact.

Derek V

Hooknswoop

The gang banager won't be affected much, except by the enforcement. Increased police patrols in rough neighborhoods would have an impact.

So would outreach programs to the same neighborhoods. Find a way to improve the kids outlook on life and then they become better adults.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

normiss

How are poor inner city neighborhoods with no jobs, liquor stores, and police harassment not a positive environment?

exactly - though I have nothing against liquor stores personally.....

another poster brings this up in gun threads, but I don't think people even read his posts before hacking on him - I don't recall who, but this particular point is chronically ignored

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have a 1 in 133 chance of dying in a automobile accident.
I have a 1 in 358 chance of dying by assault with a firearm.

What are the chances of dying by firearm in general? I noticed you just used 'assault'. How about adding the stats of suicide and accidental shooting?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Hooknswoop

Thank god the 2nd amendment kept this guy safe from the government.

If that is what you think, then you do not understand the 2nd amendment.

Derek V

An armed populace is supposed to prevent a government from getting out of control. It appears to have really worked.

SkyDekker

Who said US government. Are you implying an armed populace would only keep the federal government under control, but would have no effect on municipal governments?

You still show that you have little understanding of the second amendment.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun