ryoder

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Primaries and Caucuses

Will Rogers had it right when he said, "Once a man's elected to public office he's just not fit for honest work." It's all rigged to perpetuate the professional Politian. To change it, guess who has to vote on it.

"I knew it was a crooked game but it was the only game in town."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Darius11

This was fantastic...and very sad.

It is sad, because even at the end of all that ranting, Oliver still defends Hillary and agrees with Schultz in that none of this ever changed anything - that ultimately, super-delegates never determined the outcome of the nominee.

The problem is, that while I agree super-delegates may have not directly determined the outcome of a nominee in the past, there is a possibility of it happening in the future - but even more importantly, super-delegates give an unfair advantage to a particular candidate by building momentum that influences voters.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

It is sad, because even at the end of all that ranting, Oliver still defends Hillary and agrees with Schultz in that none of this ever changed anything - that ultimately, super-delegates never determined the outcome of the nominee.

You must have watched a different episode than I did.

He "defended" Hillary by pointing out that she has an overwhelming number of regular delegates. That's not "defending", that's stating facts. Bernie wouldn't win even if all the superdelegates were dismissed.

- Dan G

. . .and then there is the second part of my post.

Right, which John Oliver himself said, in the second part of his segment.

Like I said, it's as if you watched a different segment that the rest of us.

- Dan G

DanG

. . .and then there is the second part of my post.

Right, which John Oliver himself said, in the second part of his segment.

He just asked that if the super-delegates never really mattered, why have them? I don't remember him saying anything about how they may influence the voters.

He basically just emphasizes the fact that the super-delegates don't really matter, but could cause problems in the future - so send an email on groundhog day if it pisses you off.

The problem is that the majority of voters - those voting for Trump and Hillary - probably aren't gonna send that email, are they?

Hi Coreeece,

National Donkey Day

I'm not sure why you are so concerned. This is an internal procedure of the Democratic Party. It is their rules and it is their place to make their rules as they see fit.

If you are a Democrat and don't like it, then maybe you should work internally to get things changed.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Coreeece,

National Donkey Day

I'm not sure why you are so concerned.

Maybe we can have a National Hypocritical Jackass Day to celebrate Obama and his administration's suspension of refugee programs - which by his standard - is a "betrayal of our deepest values"

Coreeece

The problem is, that while I agree super-delegates may have not directly determined the outcome of a nominee in the past, there is a possibility of it happening in the future

That's exactly why they exist. They prevent an outsider hijacking the party without supermajority support.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***The problem is, that while I agree super-delegates may have not directly determined the outcome of a nominee in the past, there is a possibility of it happening in the future

That's exactly why they exist. They prevent an outsider hijacking the party without supermajority support.

Ya, those two posts pretty much sum up Oliver's segment, lol. . .

So to sum it up:

"Here's the problem, blah blah blah - it's really fucked up, ha ha ha. . .but there really isn't a problem, blah blah blah - and it's not really that fucked up - but if it pisses you off, send an email on groundhog day, ha ha ha."