skycop

Nah, this would never happen.......it has.

If you are serious, then you are just being an arse.

Nope, I wasn't being serious. I am glad you were taken aback by that statement.

Yes, it is silly to compliment a group of people for NOT doing something they almost did. That's true whether it's cops or criminals.

billvon

If you are serious, then you are just being an arse.

Nope, I wasn't being serious. I am glad you were taken aback by that statement.

Yes, it is silly to compliment a group of people for NOT doing something they almost did. That's true whether it's cops or criminals.

uh...how many situations are there where citizens can justifiably shoot LEOs? Extremely few.

How many situations are there where LEOs can justifiably use their weapons in an arrest situation - quite a few. An uncooperative suspect armed with a gun or a knife presents a real threat to the life of the LEO and others nearby.

In my case a guy broke my jaw, then got me in a headlock and almost choked me out. As I was going out, I was going to shoot him. Instead I got really pissed, got out of the headlock, and held on until help arrived.

Other times were when a guy ran at me inside a house with a pair of Barbeque forks above his head, and another ran at me with baseball bat drawn back.

One of my guys had a gun pointed at him during an armed robbery stakeout, he didn't fire because of citizens in the backstop. He DID get an award for that, and of course it wasn't covered by the media, although they were invited.

These are just three I can think of off the top of my head, every cop I know has similar experiences in one form or another.

You were just being an ass, I'd expect more from a smart guy like you.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

In my case a guy broke my jaw, then got me in a headlock and almost choked me out. As I was going out, I was going to shoot him. Instead I got really pissed, got out of the headlock, and held on until help arrived.

Sounds like a good decision on your part.

One of my guys had a gun pointed at him during an armed robbery stakeout, he didn't fire because of citizens in the backstop. He DID get an award for that, and of course it wasn't covered by the media, although they were invited.

That was probably for the best. "Policeman gets award for not firing into crowd" might not be the kind of publicity your department wants.

"Chicago police have shot 702 citizens — killing 215 — in the past 15 years, according to Police Department records obtained by the Chicago Tribune under the Freedom of Information Act.

Not once have federal law enforcement officials brought criminal civil rights charges against an officer in those shootings."

That was probably for the best. "Policeman gets award for not firing into crowd" might not be the kind of publicity your department wants.

He staked out a likely robbery location, the robbery occurred very close to where he thought it would happen, chased the guy, who then pointed a 9mm at him. He didn't fire, continued to chase the guy, at great personal risk, and later caught him.

Sounds like a good decision on your part.

Yes because I was seeking your approval.

I'm sure in engineering they give recognition/awards for outstanding performance. But you choose to be an ass and belittle his accomplishment from your keyboard.

Why not just say something along the lines of "my comments may have been a bit out of line". Instead you make snarky comments, excellent job of moderation.

Again, I expected more

About a year later gang bangers shot at him and two other officers several times. In combat aviation terms this guy would have been called a magnet ass. All these situations were dictated by others, not initiated by him.
This same officer ended going out on a disability, he blew the same knee out (MCL/ACL) TWICE chasing suspects.

He staked out a likely robbery location, the robbery occurred very close to where he thought it would happen, chased the guy, who then pointed a 9mm at him. He didn't fire, continued to chase the guy, at great personal risk, and later caught him.

Sounds like he did the right thing. And catching him at great personal risk - THAT is what he should get an award for. Not by knowing the basics of what every gun owner should know.

I'm sure in engineering they give recognition/awards for outstanding performance.

They do indeed. But they don't give awards out for "hey, you designed a bridge last year, and it didn't collapse yet!" That's because building bridges that don't collapse is their job. They give awards for outstanding performance, not for avoiding stupid mistakes. And firing into a crowd is a stupid mistake.

On the other hand, perhaps we should give out more awards like that. Police officers could get awards when someone throws rocks at their cruiser, and they don't plow into a crowd at 60mph chasing them. Pilots could get awards for not crashing their planes into cliffs or shutting down their engines during takeoff. Hunters could get awards for not shooting at other hunters. (Well, unless you're Dick Cheney.) Soldiers could get awards for not shooting their fellow soldiers in combat situations. It would surely make people happier.

But you choose to be an ass and belittle his accomplishment from your keyboard.

I am such a great guy, and so levelheaded, that I won't even ban you for saying that.

I am such a great guy, and so levelheaded, that I won't even ban you for saying that.

Thank you for your brave service Bill. I wish there was an award I could bestow upon you.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Has nothing to do with being nice, you have no non-snarky answer.

But thanks for letting me off with just an warning Dropzone.comPD officer :S

Gaining some traction, now elevated to the AP level.
Notice the headline, watch the video and then read the story.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/advocacy-groups-death-black-ohio-man-police-avoidable-132939911.html

The video of the shooting isn't shown, or the events leading up to it.

Here is the local story, notice the differences.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/08/08/live-police-provide-update-fatal-officer-involved-shooting/88390456/

As usual there is a knee jerk reaction from advocacy groups with an agenda. Sometimes it is a police union, this time it is BLM or a similar group.

This will not get much traction. Because once again video is going to show the truth. The officer involved is likely in real need of some time off. He has earned it and more. It's too bad there is no body cam vid. (AFAIK)

But do you get the point of this thread? You are hyper aware of and watching for these events. BLM is hyper aware of and watching for these events. Everyone has an axe to grind. On both sides. They are watching out for their brothers like you are watching out for your brothers. And you both need to unfortunately.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

My main point is the differences between the AP and local stories.

They are watching out for their brothers like you are watching out for your brothers. And you both need to unfortunately.

Right..........because these things happen in a vacuum, moral relativism at it's finest.

This is so ridiculous that hopefully it will be counter-productive.

skycop

My main point is the differences between the AP and local stories.

They are watching out for their brothers like you are watching out for your brothers. And you both need to unfortunately.

Right..........because these things happen in a vacuum, moral relativism at it's finest.

This is so ridiculous that hopefully it will be counter-productive.

You seem to be unwilling or unable, or probably both, to consider this from the other point of view. You would appear to be blinded by your loyalty to your brethren. If you can not see their point of view can you not even understand that they have a legitimate one that is not the same as yours?

It is not about any one incident, it is about attitudes and history. Don't preach against moral relativism, you condone it every day. You just posted about the fine officer who should be rewarded for not shooting someone. If you can't see moral relativism in that you have no soap box to stand on. It just slipped out from under you.

You just posted about the fine officer who should be rewarded for not shooting someone. If you can't see moral relativism in that you have no soap box to stand on.

There is no moral relativism there, he did something courageous, he continued to chase a guy, after the guy robbed someone at gun point and pointed a gun at him while he was trying to apprehend him, that is selfless. He knew what a danger the guy posed to him and the community, so he continued at great personal risk, and was rewarded for it.

There is an Arkansas State Trooper in critical condition as I type this, he apparently rammed the car of an impaired driver going the wrong way on a highway to prevent a collision with an unaware civilian driver.

Comparing BLM to police officers "watching out for their brothers" is not only a lousy comparison, it's insulting.

You also failed to read where I wrote if BLM zeroed in on the mental health component, rather than the police, I would have agreed with them.

The regional/national media has picked up on this story, they have omitted key parts, while stoking others.
It's so preposterous that it should even make it past
the local level, but it has and the reporting is disingenuous.

You've evidently haven't read all my posts, they are critical when they need to be.

You also failed to read where I wrote if BLM zeroed in on the mental health component, rather than the police, I would have agreed with them.

I admit to skimming or failing to read all of your posts. They are often to dense for the time I have available. I fully agree that the mental health issue is what is most relevant here. At least one of the stories you linked to was headlined that a mental health organization was the objector. I did not see much reference or attention paid to BLM at all.

Edit

I looked again and see it now. It was a joint statement. And it was a knee jerk reaction that came before the video was released.

I looked again and see it now. It was a joint statement. And it was a knee jerk reaction that came before the video was released.

Incorrect, they've doubled down on it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/08/09/black-lives-matter-killing-cincy-man-police-avoidable/88449048/

All I see in that story is a reference to a joint statement that the death was "avoidable". Doesn't look like doubling down to me. Looks more like the beginning of backing down.

Hi Mark,

Seems like some cops . . .

A similar incident happened a number of years ago at the Oregon Police Academy ( where every LEO in this state must attend & receive certification from ). Only here, the person shot was another student or instructor ( I really do not remember which ). Again, it was a gun with live rounds when it should have only had blanks.

Barney Fife is alive and well. :P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) One can only hope that the FDLE probe includes some civilians.

There is a high likelihood there could be criminal negligence in this.

Cops make mistakes, this was a HUGE mistake, live ammo being introduced into a training area. Should have never happened, but it did.
Talk to anyone who has done firearms training, accidents happen, normally all are avoidable, yet they still happen. Even among people who are highly trained; military, cops, civilian enthusiasts.
Doctors kill people by mistake, pilots make mistakes that are often fatal to themselves and others.
I just conducted active shooter training, we go to great lengths to prevent this type of accident.
Like anything else, complacency in a dangerous environment can kill.

JerryBaumchen

Barney Fife is alive and well,.

The Mayberry Police Department.....let's see

1 - They knew everybody in town on a first name basis
2 - They took in the drunk and let him sleep it off and didn't beat him up. They'd take away his liquor on occasion and try to help him
3 - The Sheriff would talk down people that were out of line
4 - They were involved in all the community activities
5 - They rarely were armed, but only if needed, and tried to fix those situations before arming was needed
6 - The populace respected them and they respected them in return
7 - They lived in the same town they served
8 - They took time to know all the kids from the time they were little until they grew up.
9 - people would come and talk to them about personal issues, not just legal complaints

etc
etc

so - why on earth, would we use the Sheriff's department from that show as an example to be mocked and ridiculed?

there isn't a single cop show today that's about building a community, but tons of them about taking down the violent bad guys....I guess if it's boring, it's a joke

so what about that discussion about culture?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants