peek

"Hispanic" versus "Latino"

In light of a certain someone being accused of using the incorrect term for identifying a certain group, I offer you the following link:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hispanic_vs_Latino

It may or may not be entirely applicable to the "argument" but I found it interesting. Is it accurate? I have no idea. I'm sure someone will find something wrong with it.

What I continue to wonder however, is why there is so much criticism of someone that uses what other people consider an "incorrect" term? My gosh, there is so much disagreement on many terms, how can someone think that their term is so correct that they have the right to criticize someone else.

Obviously, some terms are not good to use because they are offensive to nearly everyone, but some other terms have subtle differences in meaning. What do we do with these terms? Just continue to criticize those who use them?

By the way, what is the origin of the taco-salad?

As to the first point, you can call my Sicilian family anything except Italian. :S:D

Texican? - Tacos met salads in Texas
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

As to the first point, you can call my Sicilian family anything except Italian. :S:D

Texican? - Tacos met salads in Texas

I think it was just that crispy tacos break.
And we are too lazy to worry about t and just started pre breaking it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Interesting source. I've identified "Hispanic" as those whose ancestry comes from Hispanola, which is modern-day Dominican Republic and Haiti. My definition of "Latino" follows what your source cites -- from the region known as Latin America, which is Central and South America.

But the description from your source (Espana) does make sense.

And yeah, it is interesting how some people will make a federal case out of it (I don't). Someone texted into a radio presenter this morning that he should stop using the "racist" term marijuana (the topic was full legalization and medical use), and instead say "cannabis." Huh? Marijuana is racist?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Okay ...so by this article I (with one immigrant grandparent from Spain) am 1/4 "Hispanic". But, my other 3 grandparents, who emigrated from the region that gave birth to the Latin language, do not contribute any "Latino" mojo to my genes at all. Doesn't matter anyway, because, even though my grandparents and parents were all fluent speakers of Italian and Spanish, I don't know enough Spanish to be sure of what I'm ordering at Taco Bell. OTOH, I have Cuban and Mexican relatives who can be called Hispanic and Latino, each preferring only one of the labels depending on which side of the Mississippi they are from.

Yeah, I think the "right" term is partly determined by where it's being used. Which means that paying attention is important, and also highlights that one can probably avoid most offense by avoiding the terms, and using individuals' names and/or other descriptors.

After all, who likes to be discussed and referred to by a term that doesn't require actually knowing anything about you?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My first wife was Sicilian and definitely not Italian. She even had strong Mafia connections. I was paranoid for years after our divorce.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

That term seems lost in the barrio. It is my understanding, explained by a Chicano lady, that you have to be born in America by Mexican parents to be Chicano.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

raftman

Whatever happened to Chicano?

Now that you mention it, I haven't heard that term in ages.
When I hear the term, the first person I think of is Cheech Marin, who used it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pANazoyJg
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

peek

The Wikipedia page that refers to the drug has already been changed to "cannabis". Political correctness gone crazy.

That's not PC, it's accuracy. Cannabis is the name of the drug, marijuana is your local nickname for it;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***The Wikipedia page that refers to the drug has already been changed to "cannabis". Political correctness gone crazy.

That's not PC, it's accuracy. Cannabis is the name of the drug, marijuana is your local nickname for it;)

Cannabis is only Half the name if you want to be accurate. Either "Cannabis Sativa" or "Cannabis Indica" there is a third out there but it is not much use for getting a buzz, "Cannabis Ruderalis". All three are in the cannabacea family.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun