aphid

Syrian Refugees

And they're muslims, too. Imagine that.

Syrian refugees across Calgary are now giving what little they have to northern Albertans, after Khanchet posted an appeal in Arabic on a private Facebook group the newcomers created and frequent.

“(Canadians) gave us everything. And now it’s time to return the favour,” she wrote.

A fellow Syrian refugee translated and shared Khanchet’s post with a wider community on the Syrian Refugee Support Group page, and within hours offers of help came in from new Canadians determined to give back to their new home.

source: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/we-understand-what-theyre-feeling-syrian-refugees-in-calgary-step-up-to-help-fort-mcmurray-fire-evacuees

JerryBaumchen

Hi John,

new Canadians determined to give back to their new home.

Yea, but they're Canadian muslims. I'll ask The Donald if we need a wall on our northern border also.

:P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Good for them; it shows they appreciate what has been done for them.

You're commingling the depth and application of what Canada is doing versus our issue along the southern border. To date: Canada has allowed 25,000 Syrian refugees into the country on a special humanitarian visa - with a background check (And, those emigrating to Canada through Turkey are turned away). Those refugees are going through Canada's legal process for immigration which can take up to six months. http://ccrweb.ca/en/syrian-crisis-backgrounder

The issue in the U.S. is the approximate 300,000 illegally crossing the southern border each year without going through the process of immigration. 2.5 million the past eight years.

There were 11.3 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2014.
Mexicans make up about half of all unauthorized immigrants (49%).
Six states alone account for 60% of unauthorized immigrants
Unauthorized immigrants make up 5.1% of the U.S. labor force.
About 7% of K-12 students had at least one unauthorized immigrant parent in 2012
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/19/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

I don't think any of us have a problem with taking in "your poor, your tired, your weary..." but it should be through the proper channels. Not unlike my grandfather had to do in 1911. And then, the first thing he did was learn English and the second thing he did was sign up for the US Army in WWI.

I do applaud those Syrian refugees for giving back to the community that gave to them, but that is vastly different than those illegally crossing our borders and taking from the community.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

aphid

Syrian refugees across Calgary are now giving what little they have to northern Albertans, after Khanchet posted an appeal in Arabic on a private Facebook group the newcomers created and frequent.

“(Canadians) gave us everything. And now it’s time to return the favour,” she wrote.

A fellow Syrian refugee translated and shared Khanchet’s post with a wider community on the Syrian Refugee Support Group page, and within hours offers of help came in from new Canadians determined to give back to their new home.

source: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/we-understand-what-theyre-feeling-syrian-refugees-in-calgary-step-up-to-help-fort-mcmurray-fire-evacuees

Clearly they just want to round up the Christians and kill them. All part of their plan to take over Canada, as directed by the biggest Muslim of them all, the Kenyan that leads the US.

I am sure Rush and Ron will be able to look up an article on breitbart or blazetv to prove this.

SkyDekker

but that is vastly different than those illegally crossing our borders and taking from the community.

Yes clearly none of them provide cheap labour so legal Americans can have things cheaper.

There is nothing cheaper about their labor.... one has to factor in the tax costs and financial/personnel burden for the social benefits/programs for illegals.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

***Hi John,

new Canadians determined to give back to their new home.

Yea, but they're Canadian muslims. I'll ask The Donald if we need a wall on our northern border also.

:P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Good for them; it shows they appreciate what has been done for them.

You're commingling the depth and application of what Canada is doing versus our issue along the southern border. To date: Canada has allowed 25,000 Syrian refugees into the country on a special humanitarian visa - with a background check (And, those emigrating to Canada through Turkey are turned away). Those refugees are going through Canada's legal process for immigration which can take up to six months. http://ccrweb.ca/en/syrian-crisis-backgrounder

The issue in the U.S. is the approximate 300,000 illegally crossing the southern border each year without going through the process of immigration. 2.5 million the past eight years.

There were 11.3 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2014.
Mexicans make up about half of all unauthorized immigrants (49%).
Six states alone account for 60% of unauthorized immigrants
Unauthorized immigrants make up 5.1% of the U.S. labor force.
About 7% of K-12 students had at least one unauthorized immigrant parent in 2012
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/19/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

I don't think any of us have a problem with taking in "your poor, your tired, your weary..." but it should be through the proper channels. Not unlike my grandfather had to do in 1911. And then, the first thing he did was learn English and the second thing he did was sign up for the US Army in WWI.

I do applaud those Syrian refugees for giving back to the community that gave to them, but that is vastly different than those illegally crossing our borders and taking from the community.

Tell it to the presumptive nominee:

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/268614-trump-to-syrian-refugee-children-you-cant-come-here

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BIGUN

There is nothing cheaper about their labor.... one has to factor in the tax costs and financial/personnel burden for the social benefits/programs for illegals.

One also has to factor in their tax contributions, e.g., sales tax, property tax, income tax, much of which they can receive no return on, e.g., social security.

"At the federal level, undocumented immigrants tend to contribute more money in taxes than they consume in services, however, the net economic costs or benefts to state and local governments varies throughout the U.S." Source
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

BIGUN

but that is vastly different than those illegally crossing our borders and taking from the community.

Yes clearly none of them provide cheap labour so legal Americans can have things cheaper.

In an overall big picture view that's true. But businesses, (especially their accountants) only look at the costs on their balance sheets. :S:(

It's one of accounting's fundamental flaws.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Keith,

You're commingling the . . .

Naw, I was just having some fun => :P

***I don't think any of us have a problem with taking in "your poor, your tired, your weary..." but it should be through the proper channels.

I agree completely.

Jerry Baumchen

Except that the door for the "poor, tired and weary" was closed a while back. There's virtually no way for an ordinary Mexican or Central American to immigrate legally to the US.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>Except that the door for the "poor, tired and weary" was closed a while back.

Yep. My grandparents showed up at Ellis Island with no visa, application or paperwork other than their Irish citizenship papers. They just expected to be able to move to the US and start a new life. Today that would make them criminals.

Imagine that. Fort Mac burns, 88000 Canadians have had to risk their lives, evacuated their homes from one of the nastiest fires we have ever had as a nation. About 20% of these Canadians have lost their homes in the fire, who knows how many have lost their jobs, and if they return they will return to a depressed economy facing two hostile governments who are both planning carbon taxes against the town's primary employers. So much suffering by your own fellow Canadians and your focus is on Syrians? Huh?

For those who want to know a little more details here. Without a doubt the Syrians know what it's like to be driven from their homes. For that I do believe their sincerity. But exactly how many Syrians are we talking about here and how much money is involved? It started off with one woman who wanted to help and this Syrian told her community organizer. Good for her for wanting to help. I want to help. I will help once it is safe to head up to For Mac. Now what's happened so far? Well from a TV interview this afternoon the community organizer said 30 Syrian families have each chipped in about $5 and the community organizer also setup a website where Canadians could donate money to the Syrians who in turn will direct what was donated to the relief effort. So as of this TV interview this afternoon, Canadians donated approximately $850 on top of the $150 or so the Syrians donated running the total to about $1000. Yes the Syrians don't have a lot of money so this gesture is better than nothing. But who is making a big deal out of this? Why it's the Consensus Mainstream Media who has no doubt have spent thousands and thousands of dollars covering this $1000 story. It's one thing when a private media source such as Post Media or the Globe and Mail covers a story. Usually the private media try and cover their stories without spending excessive money by sending only a skeleton crew and it still cost them plenty of money to produce their stories. But the CBC does not operate this way. No the CBC will send an army of reporters with dozens of support staff to cover their stories. The CBC has spent thousands on this story. If I see the Syrians en mass in Fort Mac once it is safe to go there helping with the cleanup efforts. Then I will believe you. Heck they don't work, so time isn't an issue.

Yes the Syrians have suffered. Yes the Syrians know what it's like to be driven from their homes. But you do know why so many of them were rushed here right? They were rushed here to satisfy the narcissistic ego of that idiot who wants everyone to think he is a world renown expert on Quantum Computing but he does not even know the difference between what a decimal and a decibel is. Good grief the fool is an actor by trade. When you look up political puppet on Wikipedia, the Selfie King will be front and center.

I'm not anti-Syrian. People like myself were just calling to not rush the process when it was clear there was no plan in place. You do know that in less than 10 months from now the Feds will stop sending the Syrians money? You do know that Canada is an extremely expensive country to live in? You do know that the Syrians are being driven to the food banks, which only dilutes the food supply that Canadian citizens need? You do know that Trudeau and that alcoholic fool he has working as his immigration minister lied to the Syrians? It was all done to satisfy a narcissistic ego and the media loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJ1EJ9RdVQ

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

billvon

>Except that the door for the "poor, tired and weary" was closed a while back.

Yep. My grandparents showed up at Ellis Island with no visa, application or paperwork other than their Irish citizenship papers. They just expected to be able to move to the US and start a new life. Today that would make them criminals.

Well, except for that whole checking in at Ellis Island thing.

It's where the ship landed. Not a lot of options. My ancestors did the same, with the same amount of documentation.

As far as the actual OP, yeah, what they're doing isn't much in "real" terms. What was that story about the widow's mite again?

Most people are predisposed to like people they think are like themselves. That tribal instinct. We've gotten used to using color, language, and nationality/region as easy determinants of similarity. Of course, in an increasingly interconnected and information-sharing world, those are increasingly lousy indicators of similarity. But hey, they're easy, which means they have some value, right :S?

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

John is from Alberta and personally knows many affected people. I'm sure that his admiration for the selflessness demonstrated by those new Canadians and the gratitude they are making an effort to show, in no way diminish the strong feelings he has for our new fire refugees.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

aphid

Yet Alberta residents support Syrian refugees the least of all Canadians.

"Support has grown slightly for Ottawa’s plan to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by March 1, but Canadians still remain at odds over the issue, results of a new poll show.

More than half of Canadians (52 per cent) support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plan to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to this country by March 1, while 44 per cent oppose the plan, according to an Angus Reid Institute poll...

Regionally, support for the refugee plan is highest in British Columbia and Atlantic Canada, with 61 per cent in support and 60 per cent in support, respectively, and lowest in Alberta, with 41 per cent in support...

“What we don’t see at this stage is a big appetite to take in more refugees,” she said. “It’s possible that the government will be able to convince people on that front, but at this stage, it’s not where Canadians are at.”

As for the resettlement program’s eventual legacy, Canadians are evenly divided, with 23 per cent saying it will be viewed as a success 15 years from now and 24 per cent saying it will be a viewed as a failure."
http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2016/02/19/canadian-support-for-syrian-refugee-plan-up-slightly-poll.html

My sister from Calgary went to Syria about two years before the civil war started. A Christian tenant of a friend said give her relatives a call when she got there. My sister phoned the family up when she got to the airport and the hospitality was incredible. They chauffeured her over a half of Syria to all the sites. After that two other Syrian families related to them immigrated to Calgary.

These Christian immigrants don't think too much of the new wave of Muslim immigrants. Their attitude is that when they came to Canada they paid for everything and got no federal support. The Christian families had to guarantee financial support for the new immigrant families.

According to my sister the whole group supports each other, work like hell and save every penny.

One small point -- (IMO) The "documentation" issue is not about how much documentation you have with you. It's about getting "documented" upon arrival.

But, my post was in response to Bill's suggestion that his ancestors entry into the country (through Ellis Island) would have made them "criminals" by today's standards. The simple fact is that their legal entry and processing through Ellis Island prevented them from becoming "criminals" ...at least as far as immigration status is concerned.

You seem to be lamenting that if only the ships didn't have to take them to Ellis Island, dammit!, they would have exercised some preferred other "option" ...probably an "illegal" one.(?) As a side issue, I wonder if there actually were other points of entry around the country's borders for processing incoming immigrants and foreign visitors? Without looking it up, I think incoming immigrants could have checked in at any INS (or equivalent Federal office?). I think Ellis Island (i.e., a large-scale immigrant induction facility) existed because of the large influx of immigrants into a major port city. That's where the ships go, so let's build an induction center there. Also, Ellis Island did provide (at least by 19th C. standards) a quarantine point, however ineffective, for possible identification/isolation of incoming diseases, considering the large numbers of folks who were being funneled through there from many different lands and cultures. (But, at least at our southern border, that is one issue where we have no worries since those folks are coming from regions that, even with all their political and economic failings, boast 100% vaccination rates.)

As far as wolfriverjoe's post above yours: "Except that the door for the "poor, tired and weary" was closed a while back. There's virtually no way for an ordinary Mexican or Central American to immigrate legally to the US.". I don't know if that door really is "closed" for lawful entry, but if it is, maybe it's because we are presently (and daily becoming more and more) "saturated" as far as providing mandated and other humanitarian services to the folks who have already arrived, legally or illegally. If that's the case, it's likely that illegal entrants from Mexico and C. America have literally stolen food, health care coverage and other aid from their countrymen who actually entered (or are now prevented from entering) lawfully.

Totally agree that any help, from anyone, would be welcome in Alberta. The contributions, however small, from the newly-arrived Syrian immigrants were likely painful in terms of the amount of sacrifice on their part. And I suspect that, in part, they really were trying to say thanks and to show a sense of community at the same time. Also, agree that news coverage was probably over the top.

The whole illegal immigration thing is stupid. While they may have better lives than in their home country here, as they're not legal, they aren't treated like they would be if immigrated legally.

Do we need immigration reform? Yes. Amnesty for those who are here illegally? Hell no. We also need the Supreme Court to revisit the whole "anchor baby" ruling as it's over 100 years old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

of 2015, there has been no Supreme Court decision that explicitly holds that persons born in the U.S. to illegal aliens are automatically afforded U.S. citizenship.[26][27][28][29][30][31] Edward Erler, writing for the Claremont Institute, said that since the Wong Kim Ark case dealt with someone whose parents were in the United States legally, it provides no valid basis under the 14th Amendment for the practice of granting citizenship to U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants. He goes on to argue that if governmental permission for parental entry is a necessary requirement for bestowal of birthright citizenship, then children of illegal aliens must surely be excluded.[32]

If one does not think a law is just, they should work to change it, not just ignore it.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

gowlerk

John is from Alberta and personally knows many affected people. I'm sure that his admiration for the selflessness demonstrated by those new Canadians and the gratitude they are making an effort to show, in no way diminish the strong feelings he has for our new fire refugees.

I don't think the Syrians have politicized this natural disaster. They don't know any better. In fact the Syrians were outright lied to. No it's the community organizer, the media and your pal John who has chosen to politicize this natural disaster. If people want to help, just help. Don't make it about you. It's not about the people giving their time and/or money to the relief effort. It's about the people who have been displaced that need the help and need the attention. I swear narcissism has never been so rampant and there is no bigger narcissist than that elitist fool who calls 24 Sussex home.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

jcd11235

***There is nothing cheaper about their labor.... one has to factor in the tax costs and financial/personnel burden for the social benefits/programs for illegals.

One also has to factor in their tax contributions, e.g., sales tax, property tax, income tax, much of which they can receive no return on, e.g., social security.

"At the federal level, undocumented immigrants tend to contribute more money in taxes than they consume in services, however, the net economic costs or benefts to state and local governments varies throughout the U.S." Source

I don't know where the quote is - but the IRS actually encourages illegals to obtain false SSNs. And yes - they do send refunds out to those false ones as well.

I don't want to take the time to Google it, but you can if you want.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******There is nothing cheaper about their labor.... one has to factor in the tax costs and financial/personnel burden for the social benefits/programs for illegals.

I don't know where the quote is - but the IRS actually encourages illegals to obtain false SSNs. And yes - they do send refunds out to those false ones as well.

I don't want to take the time to Google it, but you can if you want.

Interesting straw man you've built up. I suspect it's lost on you that it actually supports my point rather than discrediting it. It just shows that undocumented immigrants often pay income taxes.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

CanuckInUSA

your pal John who has chosen to politicize this natural disaster.

Really? :S

CanuckInUSA

If people want to help, just help. Don't make it about you. It's not about the people giving their time and/or money to the relief effort.

(from post #13)
I want to help. I will help once it is safe to head up to For Mac.

IIRC, that was about you and some of your 4-wheeler-club friends driving up to do some cleanup wasn't it? I think that part may have disappeared in one of your subsequent edits.

That is very generous - every little bit helps.

Regards,

John