jclalor

Malia Obama

You're free to believe or not believe whatever books you want, but you don't have to believe them in order to have a discussion on what's it's about. You may not believe in Neverwhere but you can still discuss it without constantly saying bah, that's impossible, I don't believe it, that's ridiculous - why would people worship rats?!

What a book club buzzkill. . .

You seem to be saying that the bible validates that Muslims are somehow inherently hostile towards the rest of the world. I can actually assure you that someone who believes this is wrong the same way that I can assure you that a Christian does not actually have to cut off a woman's hand for touching his genitals in the middle of a fight. It's entirely the wrong interpretation of it, there's no discussion. You're free to believe in Santa Claus but you're wrong, it's been your parents this whole time saying a white lie to make your world a little more magical.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You're free to believe in Santa Claus but you're wrong

Actually, Santa was real - it's just that overtime, people made him into something they wanted him to be, rather than who he actually was.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Actually, Santa was real - it's just that overtime, people made him into something they wanted him to be, rather than who he actually was.

Kind of like Jesus.

No wait, that's exactly like Jesus.

Edited to add: ...and Mohamed, and the Buddha.

- Dan G

DanG

Kind of like Jesus.

Ya, well given subjectivity of the post, you're not really saying much - are you?

Ya, well given subjectivity of the post, you're not really saying much - are you?

Subjectivity of the post? Not sure which post you mean, I've lost track and I'm not going to take the time to sort it out. But keep in mind that this degenerative discussion centers around a highly subjective mis-characterization of your President's religious beliefs.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Subjectivity of the post? Not sure which post you mean, I've lost track and I'm not going to take the time to sort it out.

Dan implied that overtime, people changed the idea of Jesus into what they wanted him to be - but some believe he is God, some believe that he is just a prophet, some believe that he's a mere mortal, while others want to believe he was non-existent. It's all subjective.

gowlerk

keep in mind that this degenerative discussion centers around a highly subjective mis-characterization of your President's religious beliefs.

You were the one that asked about Islam and the Bible.

No, you said Santa was a real man, but over time people made him into what they wanted him to be. Let's remind the reader that Santa is a magical being who is omnipresent, omnipotent, loving, generous, and if you're good will give you great reward.

What I said was that's exactly the same thing people did to the otherwise real men known as Jesus, Mohamed, and the historical Buddha.

- Dan G

Coreeece

You're free to believe in Santa Claus but you're wrong

Great analogy.

I'm sure when Joseph made whoopee with Mary, their son turned out to be a great teacher, and philosopher.

A couple oh hundred years later - they wrote a book that made him seem more than he was.

Since then - people have killed in his name, and for the beliefs that have been as embellished as those that follow Mohammed's have.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Coreeece

Kind of like Jesus.

Religious beliefs are the epitome of subjectivity, since there is zero objective evidence to support them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DanG

No, you said Santa was a real man, but over time people made him into what they wanted him to be.
Let's remind the reader that Santa is a magical being who is omnipresent, omnipotent, loving, generous, and if you're good will give you great reward.

See, you just turned Santa into what you wanted him to be so you could make some parallel to religious figures.

Santa isn't Omnipresent - he was born in Turkey and now resides at the North pole. If he was omnipotent, he wouldn't need flying reindeer nor a need for us to send him our Christmas list.

DanG

What I said was that's exactly the same thing people did to the otherwise real men known as Jesus, Mohamed, and the historical Buddha.

While those have always been traits of God, I don't think omnipresence was ever a characteristic of Jesus.

turtlespeed

A couple oh hundred years later - they wrote a book that made him seem more than he was.

The book was collated with various writings from over the years.

turtlespeed

Since then - people have killed in his name, and for the beliefs that have been as embellished as those that follow Mohammed's have.

That's what happens when you mix it with politics/government and use it for power and control.

Do you really think that those people represent the majority of believers?

kallend

Religious beliefs are the epitome of subjectivity, since there is zero objective evidence to support them.

The only evidence needed is that which is experienced on a personal level through the application of scripture.

Now you may say that's just placebo, but given that nearly 2 billion+ people have shared similar experiences, I'd say that's a pretty effective placebo. Do you think a sugar pill would fare as well?

I'm sure when Joseph made whoopee with Mary, their son turned out to be a great teacher, and philosopher.

My theory is that Mary had a "wups" baby with the neighbor's husband and had some explaining to do.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DanG

So, there are places where Jesus isn't present? If so, I need to know where those places are, because I'm going to make a fortune setting up brothels where Jesus can't see you sin.

Omniscience is more convenient.

While those have always been traits of God, I don't think omnipresence was ever a characteristic of Jesus.

Does your particular flavour of Christianity not recognize the Trinity? In the brand I was raised in God and Jesus are one. Of course, there as as many beliefs as there are believers, no two are exactly the same. That's why "experts" get involved in "angels on the head of a pin" type arguments.

All of these beliefs are equally incorrect. I know this for a fact because I did not personally make them up. Only the ones I made up are true.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Does your particular flavour of Christianity not recognize the Trinity? In the brand I was raised in God and Jesus are one.

I believe the Spirit of God is omnipresent. Jesus, while on earth was not. Now He's seated at the right hand of the Father, waiting - just waiting. He's waiting for you, Ken.

Coreeece

***No, you said Santa was a real man, but over time people made him into what they wanted him to be.
Let's remind the reader that Santa is a magical being who is omnipresent, omnipotent, loving, generous, and if you're good will give you great reward.

See, you just turned Santa into what you wanted him to be so you could make some parallel to religious figures.

Santa isn't Omnipresent - he was born in Turkey and now resides at the North pole. If he was omnipotent, he wouldn't need flying reindeer nor a need for us to send him our Christmas list.

DanG

Trinity.

Coreeece

The only evidence needed is that which is experienced on a personal level through the application of scripture.

Now you may say that's just placebo, but given that nearly 2 billion+ people have shared similar experiences, I'd say that's a pretty effective placebo. Do you think a sugar pill would fare as well?

Placebo has been shown to be effective in up to 90% for some psychiatric conditions.

So, YES, I do.

This was a thread that started about a young women being called a bunch of terrible things and it sucks, and it happens to all kids of presidents and gets worse every admin. It's shameful. And recent comments even about the current candidates' kids is pretty petty too. Politics shouldn't be an excuse to just be assholes.

I hope more people come out (even if it's the horrible anonymous thing called the internet) and support this girl regardless of her dad's politics or anything else. If enough do, then it's a story about support and kindness, instead of ignorance and assholes.

But I don't know what this thread is about now, the drift is strong and petty and dumb. Even for SC

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

This was a thread that started about a young women being called a bunch of terrible things and it sucks.

Exactly. It's atrocious and can't be defended. There really isn't anything to argue about, hence the thread drift.:P

Coreeece

The book was collated with various writings from over the years.

turtlespeed

That's what happens when you mix it with politics/government and use it for power and control.

Do you really think that those people represent the majority of believers?

Which version? That question, and who allowed which books to be collated? It wasn't God that put the book together.

Are you saying that the other books that were found aren't significant, or did they just not fit the opinion of those that wrote the bible.

Without the whole entire written text, al you have is speculation and opinion.

Break it dow, and th hard truth is that your belief is, at ground zero, based on the opinion and editing ability of people with an agenda.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

He's waiting for you, Ken.

I am at least partly indoctrinated. At 5 years old I my favourite song was Jesus Loves Me. But I lost my belief when I figured out that God was a fable at about age 10. Even so, the childhood beliefs are ingrained. In the 70's I had a acid trip that got a little too intense. I was worried I would never come down. At that time I prayed to Jesus to let me come down. And guess what. I eventually did!

I learned a valuable lesson then. If you do enough bad drugs, you too can be a believer. I long ago left both LSD and religion behind. I'm not likely to return to either.