brenthutch

Another "green" energy company bites the dust

billvon

>The birds don't
>I think they are calling them streamers these days...

Birds like them just fine. Once again you simply don't know what you are talking about.

The "streamers" he's referring to are the ones that get "cooked" in midair in the focused mirror kinds of solar arrays. Even so, fossil fuels kill more (in the linked article).

But that's a vastly different type of solar power than a standard PV setup (which is what I think was being discussed).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Why didn't you just link to the Breitbart article the video is quoting? That robo voice video is just dumb.

This article is only written in words, no voice over, but it does explain very clearly how the above problem only happened once, and the operators of the plant immediately figured out how to make it not happen again.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

kallend

***Soooo you are saying that the article is wrong and in fact the Green Path North Transmission Line was built? Interesting...

Even a stopped clock is right occasionally, but no-one intelligent considers the time it shows to be authoritative.

Likewise the veracity of your posts. That said I apologize for making your eyes bleed with a link to a site not in agreement with your world view. That is why I followed up with the HuffPo link.

rushmc

didn't see it there. Sorry to disappoint you

Neither did I, but it only took me 5 seconds to find the source. I wonder why you weren't able to do that.

More importantly, no comment from you that you bird death concerns appear to be sorted?

"“We have had zero bird fatalities since we implemented this solution in January, despite being in the standby position as well as flux on the receiver for most days since then,” he said. “This change appears to have fully corrected the problem.”

Since January’s mishap that delivered the Eureka moment for safe solar power tower development, no more dead birds at all. I did the math as of our conversation this week; a day or so short of 3 months with zero fatalities."

That's a good thing, right Rush? Solar power towers that aren't killing birds, you should be happy! Are you happy about that, Rush?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

IMO green companies are a little more receptive to damages to wildlife. i.e. birds and turbines.

Public pressure is important to protect wildlife re. solar, wind, hydro, etc.

One factor for the bankruptcy of SunEdison is the dumping of cheap Chinese panels.

"Some units of Yingli Green Energy Holding Co., the second-largest solar manufacturer, received the lowest so-called anti-dumping rate, 0.79 percent. The rate for another group of companies including Canadian Solar Inc., JinkoSolar Holding Co. and some other Yingli units was set at 9.67 percent. Other companies will pay 239 percent."
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-09/u-s-imposes-dumping-duties-on-imports-of-chinese-solar-goods

But at the same time German companies were able to "compete" with the Chinese companies:
"”All trade barriers should end,” says Christian Westermeier, vice president marketing, sales & application engineering at Wacker Chemie. He includes in his demand not only to abolish minimum prices on crystalline modules imported into the EU, but also the duties on solar glass imported to the EU and the minimum price agreement which Wacker has itself with the Chinese government on polysilicon imported to China.
http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/leading-german-solar-players-call-for-end-to-minimum-price_100019883/#ixzz47h2M3FxU

I quote "compete" above because of course the subsidies that the EU and Germany have for the green economy. Immediately after politicians give themselves salary raises they give subsidies to their friends and special interest groups.

rushmc

I ask again.

Why are you so opposed to alternative energy sources?

130 Birds - Problem fixed. What's the issue?

Why is there no outrage or videos being posted WRT the birds dying from cell phone towers?

I have a guess: I'd wager that you ignore that aspect of using a cellphone, because you like using a cell phone.

It sounds to me like there are some here that have been as indoctrinated by Big Oil as those that have been by the liberal education system.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I ask again.

Why are you so opposed to alternative energy sources?

130 Birds - Problem fixed. What's the issue?

Why is there no outrage or videos being posted WRT the birds dying from cell phone towers?

I have a guess: I'd wager that you ignore that aspect of using a cellphone, because you like using a cell phone.

It sounds to me like there are some here that have been as indoctrinated by Big Oil as those that have been by the liberal education system.

I am not against any of them

I am against them being pushed based on the false notion of man made global warming.

The one of those two thermal solar plants was just about to close recently because it generated less than half of the projected electricity and was costing a fortune.

So all I am for is let the market take care of it. A bit of gov help up front? Ok.

But like the wind turbines, if not for tax incentives they would not be built this year because as Buffet said, they do not can and can not make money.

And the only indoctrinated (to use your term) are those who believe in man made global warming.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hi rush,

I am against them being pushed based on the false notion of man made global warming.

I spent 30 yrs working in the high voltage electrical transmission industry, the US DOE.

During that time I was the oversight/construction engineer on two fairly large R & D solar systems ( one in Texas for cooling & one in Oregon for heating ) and a wind turbine/solar system on a mountain top in Montana.

I believe that these industries are being subsidised because fossil fuels are a finite source of our energy needs and that we need to be looking/planning far into the future. And I will give that our entire solar system is finite.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi jerry,
With a centuries worth of cheap, plentiful, reliable fossil fuel still in the ground, it is foolish to waste limited resources on a non-problem. The landscape of technology will be unrecognizable in twenty years let alone one hundred.

> it is foolish to waste limited resources on a non-problem.

You are correct. Coal and oil are limited resources. We can replace them with alternatives; no problem. It is foolish to waste limited resources on a non-problem.

brenthutch

Hi jerry,
With a centuries worth of cheap, plentiful, reliable fossil fuel still in the ground, it is foolish to waste limited resources on a non-problem. The landscape of technology will be unrecognizable in twenty years let alone one hundred.

If you believe that burning all those fossil fuels will not have negative consequences for the world, that may make some sense. But about the only large group of people who believe that today are a subset of American Republican party faithful who can't stand the world changing. The same group that have nominated Trump and are now sending him out to defeat at the hands of the hated Hillary.

In other words, only the deadenders think like you.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Brent,

With a centuries worth . . .

Maybe a typo; do you mean 'With a century's worth' or do you mean 'With centuries worth'?

It makes a fair amount of a difference. A 'century's worth' is only 100 yrs out. 'Centuries worth' I am not so sure of.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And of course, for me, there is the polution factor.

Little more than plant food leaves the stack at the PSU plant.

Only deadenders refuse to acknowledge the long term effects of too much plant food in the air. That's why even the conservative Roberts SC said clearly that the EPA should regulate plant food emissions.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

Hi jerry,

Oil in particular is too valuable as a raw material to be simply burned when other sources of energy are available.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Looks like I was wrong about the latest SC rulings. Fortunately the new eight member court will be hearing it soon. No doubt they will tie, and the last appeals court ruling went against the power companies.

Oil in particular is too valuable as a raw material to be simply burned when other sources of energy are available.

Yes, we need it to make nylon.