RonD1120

Should Leslie Van Houton be granted parole?

Van Houten was sentenced to death for the Manson Family LaBianca murders in 1969. Her sentence was later commuted to life. The recommendation for parole has been sent to Gov Jerry Brown.

A few years ago TX executed a remorseful, born again Christian murderess.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/panel-recommends-parole-for-ex-manson-follower-van-houten/ar-BBrJDab?ocid=spartandhp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Van_Houten

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Faye_Tucker
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Van Houten was sentenced to death for the Manson Family LaBianca murders in 1969. Her sentence was later commuted to life. The recommendation for parole has been sent to Gov Jerry Brown.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/panel-recommends-parole-for-ex-manson-follower-van-houten/ar-BBrJDab?ocid=spartandhp

Given the unequivocal nature of her guilt and the ghastly crime involved, Leslie van Houton should have been put to sleep long ago. Some things you can't undo.

Karla Faye Tucker found God, and a personal interview was arranged. Seems fitting.

normiss

It's amazing what a human brain can do while tripping on LSD.

One observation made in days when psychedelics were all the rage is that LSD did not bring out much that was not already there. More or less well adjusted people who did a hit of acid did not tend to have out-of-control reactions. People that weren't too tightly wrapped to begin with were the ones who became completely unglued.

Kind of like the 'in vino veritas' thing on steroids. Oddly enough, the most effective treatment for a bad trip was reportedly Wild Turkey.

Way over 99% of people who took acid did nothing more antisocial than listen to too much Grateful Dead music. Someone whose response was to butcher people is beyond redemption.

BSBD,

Winsor

I don't disagree with that either.
I saw a LOT of acid when I was in the Navy.
Most guys seemed to enjoy the trip, a few others, still in prison I think.
:S

I had doubted any of the Mason "family" would ever get out....but it's California.

Probably the only reasons I can think of why Houton is up for parole and that it might be granted are these:

During the onset of the crime, she tried to look away until the other assailants told her to get in on it.

She feels the guilt and shame.

Personally, I feel that every member of the Manson "family" should rot in prison until they're all dead.

I voted no. She was sentenced to death and parole only became part of the equation due to a fluke in California stoping the death penalty. I'm not saying she needs to be put to death at this point, but it's pretty clear nobody at the trail or sentencing ever intended her to go on parole.

I also don't think her parole would have any benefits to society nor do I think it has any political benefits to the governor who has the final say in the matter. I might be wrong about the last part, but I don't think so.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

I voted no. She was sentenced to death and parole only became part of the equation due to a fluke in California stoping the death penalty. I'm not saying she needs to be put to death at this point, but it's pretty clear nobody at the trail or sentencing ever intended her to go on parole.

I also don't think her parole would have any benefits to society nor do I think it has any political benefits to the governor who has the final say in the matter. I might be wrong about the last part, but I don't think so.

+1 here

First off, I'm against the death penalty overall, more because of the flaws in the "justice system" and the way cases are prosecuted than any moral objection to killing criminals.

The two women are two rather different cases. Tucker had been a small time criminal for over a decade and was in her mid-20s at the time. Her crime was a robbery that turned into murder, then a double murder to eliminate a witness at the scene.

She certainly was remorseful once on death row. And I'm going to guess that death row has a similar amount of atheists as the proverbial foxhole, for similar reasons.
I don't think any death row conversion to religion of any type should be an issue in any petition for clemency.

Van Houton was 18 at the time. She was a very troubled and vulnerable kid when she fell under the control of a charismatic madman. All the Manson women were. The 'brainwashing" Manson used is typical of any cult. I wouldn't hold any of them completely responsible for the Tate/LaBianca killings (Manson was responsible).
She and the others were given death sentences as much because they were still under Manson's control at the time of the trial as any other reason.
I seriously doubt any of them would have done that sort of thing without Manson.

I also believe that all of them would have been executed if the SC hadn't abolished the DP in the mid-70s. They would not have made it past the early 80s. At the time, California was as serious about executions as Texas is today.

Should she be paroled? Maybe. Given her history, it's pretty doubtful that she is any threat to the public. Keep in mind that Linda Kasibian was never prosecuted, despite being the driver (immunity in exchange for testimony) and she has been out of the limelight since then. OTOH, Squeaky Fromme tried to kill then-president Ford. But she wasn't prosecuted for the Tate/LaBianca killings.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

I don't have strong opinions one way or the other. I would like to note that the TX case you compare it to is not really relevant to the CA case at hand. Other than it points out the rather capricious nature of the death penalty in the US.

You can certainly make arguments both for and against the death penalty. But you can not claim it is applied in a fair and consistent way.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

OTOH, Squeaky Fromme tried to kill then-president Ford. But she wasn't prosecuted for the Tate/LaBianca killings.

Well, it's my understanding squeaky fromme didn't have anything to do with the tate/labianca killings. from wiki:

She was never charged with involvement in the murders, but was convicted of attempting to prevent Manson's imprisoned followers from testifying, as well as contempt of court when she herself refused to testify. She was given short jail sentences for both offenses.[3]

Interestingly enuf, in 1972 in Stockton squeaky was staying with 4 others in a house when they were arrested for the murders of another couple. Squeaky was held for 2 1/2 months and then released, the others were convicted...

Fromme moved to Stockton, California, with Family member Nancy Pitman and a friend named Priscilla Cooper, and a pair of ex-convict Aryan Brotherhood members named Michael Monfort and James Craig. This group happened to meet up with a couple, James and Lauren Willett, at a cabin. The ex-convicts forced James Willett to dig his own grave and gunned him down because he was going to tell the authorities about a series of robberies that the ex-convicts had committed after they were released from prison.[6] After the body of James Willett was found, with his hand still sticking out of the ground,[6] the housemates were taken into custody on suspicion of murder. After their arrest, the body of Lauren Willett was discovered as well.[6] An infant girl believed to be the Willetts' daughter was also found in the house in Stockton, and placed in Mary Graham Hall, a shelter for children in French Camp, California.[6] Fromme was released for lack of evidence.[3]

squeaky claimed she had just come to visit.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone