kallend

My dog died - can I miss the test?

I got this yesterday from a student in my class:

Good morning.

Im a student in your MS 201 class and I know we have an exam Thursday the 14th. It happens that my childhood dog passed away and that is the only time I can travel to Michigan to be home for a couple days. I was wondering if I could make up this exam because this is very devastating to me.

You will notice that the exam is 11 days from the date she sent the email.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

raftman

You should let him go, you don't want to hurt his feelings.

And pay for his flight.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***You should let him go, you don't want to hurt his feelings.

And pay for his flight.

Emphasis mine.

kallend

******You should let him go, you don't want to hurt his feelings.

And pay for his flight.

Emphasis mine.

Ah - My mistake - you should still coddle her and buy her ticket and give her extra credit for being bereaved.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

If you say no, her safe place will have been invaded and she will be so terrified and panicked that she will no longer be able to function in society. Her entire future is in your hands.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

kallend

Good morning.

Im a student in your MS 201 class and I know we have an exam Thursday the 14th. It happens that my childhood dog passed away and that is the only time I can travel to Michigan to be home for a couple days. I was wondering if I could make up this exam because this is very devastating to me.

If she's only going to be gone for a couple of days, then can you have another version of the test ready for her to take before she leaves? She isn't going immediately, obviously. And this way the test is done, she can't give the questions to her classmates (second version), and off she goes to grieve over her dog.

If she can't focus until she gets back because of the loss of the dog, then definitely taking MORE time off will be helpful. :S

See what happens when you give her an alternate course of action.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

kallend

Good morning.

If you say no and it was in Ca. she can file suit for a hostile school environment and go on mental disability and receive up to $1100 a week (tax free) for a yr. Donno how libtard your state is.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

***I got this yesterday from a student in my class:

Good morning.

If you say no and it was in Ca. she can file suit for a hostile school environment and go on mental disability and receive up to $1100 a week (tax free) for a yr. Donno how libtard your state is.

Please provide a link to support your claims because I'm nearly certain you're spouting BS.

Seriously? You're going to make me move this to SC?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Although the loss of a family pet is pretty devastating, it's life. People have real problems and real tragedies but that does not stop the world from carrying on. She can do the exam. At the same time as everyone else.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

SkyDekker

TRIGGER WARNING in the title please.

Your inner traumatized childhood coming out again?

Xistn

I'm still suspect in reference to how this person's dog died recently but can't get home for another 11 days....

suspect.

Well then, step in and take her test for her.

yoink

******You should let him go, you don't want to hurt his feelings.

And pay for his flight.

And buy her a puppy

That is cat discrimination. How DARE YOU?

kallend

Good morning.

My heart goes out to the poor lass.

At 3 AM, on the day that I took the Professional Engineer exam, I was awakened by the death throes of a ferret that had been with me for years. He had well over 1,000 flying hours, and had been a very nice little companion (come to think of it, you met him at Quincy).

I didn't get much sleep thereafter, but I aced the exam. I probably should have taken a make-up.

quade

******I got this yesterday from a student in my class:

Good morning.

Please provide a link to support your claims because I'm nearly certain you're spouting BS.

I think we're commingling his statement with California's Anti-Bullying Law. If she could show that a Professor at a Public Institution had given a test off the date of the exam; she could take it to the school officials... but, there is a process.

If Kallend; like I got tired of the bullshit reasons while teaching college - implemented a policy of only immediate family deaths are a valid excuse in the syllabus, then she would still have no claim. I'm sure this might depend on which state you live in as to a dog being immediate family. :S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

*********I got this yesterday from a student in my class:

Good morning.

I think we're commingling his statement with California's Anti-Bullying Law. If she could show that a Professor at a Public Institution had given a test off the date of the exam; she could take it to the school officials... but, there is a process.

If Kallend; like I got tired of the bullshit reasons while teaching college - implemented a policy of only immediate family deaths are a valid excuse in the syllabus, then she would still have no claim. I'm sure this might depend on which state you live in as to a dog being immediate family. :S

Fortunately I have a written policy that describes situations when I'll give a make-up test, and it is handed out in the first class of each semester. It doesn't include dead dogs.

I denied the request and told her to go see the Dean of Students if she didn't like it.

I got an email from a student a couple days ago informing me that she just realized that she missed the last exam. It was three weeks ago! She was busy with other things and it just slipped her mind. She wanted to know what she could do now to make up those points.

sandi

I got an email from a student a couple days ago informing me that she just realized that she missed the last exam. It was three weeks ago! She was busy with other things and it just slipped her mind. She wanted to know what she could do now to make up those points.

See Doc Brown?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

sandi

:D:D:D:D:D

Oh jesus that's depressing.

sandi

Isn't she entitled?

turtlespeed

***I got an email from a student a couple days ago informing me that she just realized that she missed the last exam. It was three weeks ago! She was busy with other things and it just slipped her mind. She wanted to know what she could do now to make up those points.

Isn't she entitled?

If she cared enough about her grades to ask how to make up for it, she shouldn't have missed it in the first place. :|