turtlespeed

The leaders you guys in Chicago elect . . . Are worse than trump could ever be.

piisfish
This was 2005, wasn't that under George W. Bush's presidency ?

Holy F***, did you just blame Bush for electing a Criminal Mayor in Chicago?

:o

Wow.

I suppose Bush is responsible for Rob Ford doing Crack in Canada too, right?:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

piisfish

Well at least you can't blame Obama for that one :D

So answer the question.

Did you just blame bush for that?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

It's been pretty clear from the beginning that the GOP leadership doesn't want Trump.

Trump seems to truly enjoy his "maverick" status. He says all the things the party has clearly implied, but hasn't had the balls to say out loud.

Anti-immigrant, anti-muslim, anti-women's rights, ect.

The fact that Trump made very public statements in the past that were completely opposite to what he's saying now (he used to be anti-gun & pro-choice) doesn't seem to matter to his support base.

If the GOP actively opposes him, they run the risk of alienating the conservative working class that they need to win in the general election.

But if he wins the nomination, there's little chance the "middle of the road" and independent types will vote for him (no poll that I'm aware of shows Trump winning over HRC or Sanders).

So they are pulling these sorts of sneak attacks, and having the "independent" PACs & SuperPACs go after him.

Trump has more or less "yanked the curtain" away from the GOP & their tactics.

It's not showing that the "Emperor has no clothes" as much as showing the true character of their platform that has, up until recently, been hidden.

I honestly don't see the GOP winning this year no matter what they do or who the candidate is.
I honestly wonder if they will survive (long term) the turmoil that will come out of the convention.
If Trump is nominated, they are screwed (and they know it).
If Trump isn't nominated, they are screwed (and I'm not sure they realize it yet).

Part of me wonders if this disruption of the GOP isn't Trump's overall strategy.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

agree with most of it. The GOP just like the DNC gets to choose their leader whatever way they want. They are divided on both sides, but nothing matches the vitriolic nature of the GOP divisions for sure.

But I doubt that any party is 'screwed'. The country is very divided and there are plenty of people that will vote for Trump for the simple fact that they hate Hillary, the DNC, Bernie, whomever and cannot stand the other side winning. same for both sides really.

I still predict a +/- 2-3% margin for a presidential victory.....there are no landslides these days. As much as one side hopes for a sweep, I do not see it happening - there is so much divided hatred in the country right now and no candidate or party to unite it.

Yeah, but you're attacking an entire party for a local politician.

That's pretty silly.

I mean, especially when the front runner for the Republican nomination is probably one of the most idiotic and unqualified individuals ever to be considered for national office.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

muff528

***Well at least you can't blame Obama for that one :D

Well, only partially. I'm sure that as a civic-minded citizen of Chicago he certainly would have voted, and I'm guessing at least one of his votes was for Daley.

Possibly, but possibly not. He lived and worked in the Hyde Park neighborhood, which being liberal had a very strong anti-Daley streak (neither Daley was remotely liberal).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******Well at least you can't blame Obama for that one :D

Well, only partially. I'm sure that as a civic-minded citizen of Chicago he certainly would have voted, and I'm guessing at least one of his votes was for Daley.

Possibly, but possibly not. He lived and worked in the Hyde Park neighborhood, which being liberal had a very strong anti-Daley streak (neither Daley was remotely liberal).

Yes, posted that in the spirit of humor. Actually, I think Pres. Obama would have been more ideologically aligned with Rev. Jakes than Daley in the relevant election. Daley (both) seemed to be more interested in retaining sheer power rather than in any particular ideology. And he derived that power by playing to a liberal-leaning base, whether he really believed or not. I think he just as well would have courted conservatives if he thought that would have elevated his political power. He was expert at playing his constituents ...and he got to use everyone else's wealth to do it.

quade

Yeah, but you're attacking an entire party for a local politician.

That's pretty silly.

I mean, especially when the front runner for the Republican nomination is probably one of the most idiotic and unqualified individuals ever to be considered for national office.

I know it's my usual MO - but I didn't, at least in the case, name a party. I didn't even try to figure out what party this guy was affiliated with - I assumed it was the GOP. My bad.

My statement still stands - He's still much worse than Trump

The fact that Trump made very public statements in the past that were completely opposite to what he's saying now (he used to be anti-gun & pro-choice) doesn't seem to matter to his support base.

His supporters probably see that as confirmation of being right all along. Here is this rich, successful business man who used to think like a Liberal and now he thinks like "one of us".

SkyDekker

His supporters probably see that as confirmation of being right all along. Here is this rich, successful business man who used to think talk like a Liberal and now he thinks talks like "one of us".

I have a hard time with the concept that there is a lot of thinking involved one way or another.

winsor

His supporters probably see that as confirmation of being right all along. Here is this rich, successful business man who used to think talk like a Liberal and now he thinks talks like "one of us".

I have a hard time with the concept that there is a lot of thinking involved one way or another.

Good correction, I agree.