Hooknswoop

Colorado Gun Laws

Hooknswoop

The point of this thread is that some people said these laws would be enforceable. They are not.

The point is that anti gun people simply want to restrict gun rights and don't care if the laws work or. Or.

Derek V

Most of us have no clue what laws you are talking about.....
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***The point of this thread is that some people said these laws would be enforceable. They are not.

The point is that anti gun people simply want to restrict gun rights and don't care if the laws work or. Or.

Derek V

Most of us have no clue what laws you are talking about.....

I don't think it is as much important for you to do the homework.

Perhaps his wording was supposed to encuorage those that spout all the anti-gun / pro-regulation laws to actually do the homework and read for themselves how many useless and unenforceable laws there are her.:)
You can lead a horse to water .. . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

gowlerk

Doesn't matter much. America has too many guns. A stupid amount of guns. That bus has left the station and it ain't coming back.

So - By All Means - let's spend more time inventing more unenforceable laws instead of working with the reality and making it better.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Doesn't matter much. America has too many guns. A stupid amount of guns. That bus has left the station and it ain't coming back.

So - By All Means - let's spend more time inventing more unenforceable laws instead of working with the reality and making it better.

Open carry at the GOP convention seems to be a popular idea right now. I'm in favor.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have lived next to them and can tell you from personal experience the lack of an armed public has lead to so many crimes including murder.

What most of you seem to miss over and over again is that murder committed by tyrannical governments far out number murder and crimes by individuals, and that murder = murder even if committed by an the "government" . For the most part the lack of an armed civilian population allows these murders to occur over and over again.

Don't for one second be naive enough to think we are immune from such things.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

kallend

Open carry at the GOP convention seems to be a popular idea right now. I'm in favor.

From Slashdot:

If conservative gun lovers are right, it will be a peaceful convention.

If liberal gun haters are right, it will result in a massive shoot our and conservatives will kill each other.

So why does anyone object?

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>So - By All Means - let's spend more time inventing more unenforceable laws instead
>of working with the reality and making it better.

Naaah. Let's just object to anyone who works with reality and tries to make it better. You could call them gun-o-phobes, or gun haters, or anti-gun types. Why improve things when you can just mock and ridicule on the Internet?

billvon

>So - By All Means - let's spend more time inventing more unenforceable laws instead
>of working with the reality and making it better.

Naaah. Let's just object to anyone who works with reality and tries to make it better. You could call them gun-o-phobes, or gun haters, or anti-gun types. Why improve things when you can just mock and ridicule on the Internet?

Reality? I'm not quite sure how that applies here.

I know that one of the laws being fought is a "Background checks for all transfers" one.

Despite the fact that none of the high profile shootings (including the one in Colorado) involved guns acquired in private party purchases, the anti-gun crowd has hopped on the background check bandwagon.

So they passed a law (and more than a few of the lawmakers who pushed it through faced recall elections and lost) that requires background checks for all transfers. And worded it broadly enough that just about any time a gun changes hands, a check is required (not just for change of ownership).

Taking a gun to a gunsmith for work? Check required.
Picking your own gun up from the same gunsmith after work was done? Check required.
Lending a gun to a friend so they can go hunting or target shooting? Check required.
Renting a gun from a range? Check required.
And so on.

And without registration, this law is unenforceable. How would anyone know a person bought a gun in a private party transaction before or after the law went into effect (presuming the gun was purchased new before the law went into effect)?

AND...

The Supreme Court, in the "Heller" decision, clearly stated that restrictions on commercial sales were within the 2nd.
Why would they state "commercial sales" in the decision, unless they considered private sales and commercial sales to be different situations?

Unfortunately, the anti-gun types tend to want the government to "do something, do anything, pass some sort of law to protect us." So pointless, useless, unenforceable laws get passed.

And when the crimes don't stop, the antis want more restrictions.

Somehow, it seems that the types of laws that actually have an effect on gun crime never make the news. Laws that target the criminal instead of the gun. Laws that mandate gun crimes not be plea bargained away. Laws that set heavy penalties for using a gun in a crime.
But those laws don't affect the guns in the hands of those people who don't break the law. They don't take guns away from people. Or make them harder to get.

So the anti-gun types don't like them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

and tries to make it better.

They didn't make it better. By "they", I mean the mandatory, universal, background checks and magazine capacity limit laws.

Bill, you thought these laws could be enforce as well. Now they have been enacted and proven to be unenforceable. What is your opinion now?

I'm all for making things better. These laws did not do that. These restrictions limit personal freedom. For what gain(s)?

Derek V

winsor

***Switzerland is a place with a high rate of gun ownership. But not a high carry rate. I'm calling bullshit on your bank robber anecdote.

It wasn't a grab and dash, and some locals had time to be ready when he tried to get away. The perp was dispatched by service 7.5mm rifles, not concealed carry sidearms.

Since it was in 1992, it may be inaccessible via the interwebz. At the very least, it got a lot of attention in the Kanton at the time.

I have been going to that country every year since the mid 70s and have multiple family members living there. I am still calling bullshit.

SkyDekker

******Switzerland is a place with a high rate of gun ownership. But not a high carry rate. I'm calling bullshit on your bank robber anecdote.

It wasn't a grab and dash, and some locals had time to be ready when he tried to get away. The perp was dispatched by service 7.5mm rifles, not concealed carry sidearms.

Since it was in 1992, it may be inaccessible via the interwebz. At the very least, it got a lot of attention in the Kanton at the time.

I have been going to that country every year since the mid 70s and have multiple family members living there. I am still calling bullshit.
Anyone who has been on hand at an event that was later reported in the news has likely noticed that the account was not entirely accurate.

I was about 10 km away, so all I got was the reports from the media.

The discussions at work centered around the fact that the guy was definitely a foreigner, and likely there related to the drug culture that was sort of tolerated at the time.

Every once in a while someone will try to rob a bank on Bahnhofstrasse, and it doesn't tend to end well.

Whether the person was shot by one or more of the people who were on their way to their military commitment, with their rifles at hand, or by police, I don't know. My German's decent (Swiss German not so much), so I am pretty sure I got the gist of it.

I tried to look it up online without success, but I could probably find someone there who remembers if it mattered that much.

BSBD,

Winsor