RonD1120

Christianity and Political Correctness

DJL

You grew up in a era in which "In God We Trust" was added to money

Damn, I didn't know Ron grew up in the 1860s? Maybe there's something to this everlasting life thing after all. . .
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

wolfriverjoe

***... I doubt that even words coming out the Pope's mouth would change what you think...

You do realize that Ron doesn't consider Catholics "real" Christians, right?

When did he say that?

DJL

You do realize that Ron doesn't consider Catholics "real" Christians, right?

I do.

Why, just because wolfriverjoe said so?

This is just another example of people seeing only what they want to see. People like to look for reasons to disagree with others rather than to try understanding what it is they're actually saying - it's more entertaining that way I suppose - much like this election.:|

GTAVercetti

The commandant is Thou shalt have no other gods before me. That means placing someone as better than God. But a Cathollic actually following the rules is not saing saint X is better than God.

When a catholic prays to a saint, they are not SUPPOSED to be worshipping the saint, but admiring them and asking them to prayer for them too.

If you're a christian, why pray to a saint when you can pray to God directly through Christ? Saints are just dead christians - they can't hear you. Praying to the dead is just another remnant of Roman paganism.

Coreeece

*** The commandant is Thou shalt have no other gods before me. That means placing someone as better than God. But a Cathollic actually following the rules is not saing saint X is better than God.

When a catholic prays to a saint, they are not SUPPOSED to be worshipping the saint, but admiring them and asking them to prayer for them too.

If you're a christian, why pray to a saint when you can pray to God directly through Christ? Saints are just dead christians - they can't hear you. Praying to the dead is just another remnant of Roman paganism.

You're right, praying to something that never existed in the first place makes much more sense.

Coreeece

***You grew up in a era in which "In God We Trust" was added to money

Damn, I didn't know Ron grew up in the 1860s? Maybe there's something to this everlasting life thing after all. . .

Uh....

No. In God We Trust was added officially as the State motto in the 50's as a response to Communism.

Now if you are talking about when it appeared on SOME coins, then yes, it was further back. It was allowed at the discretion of the Treasury, but it was not officially adopted for all money until the 50's.

but you probably knew what he meant and were just trying to be clever. ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Coreeece

*** The commandant is Thou shalt have no other gods before me. That means placing someone as better than God. But a Cathollic actually following the rules is not saing saint X is better than God.

Whatever helps you feel like you are a better Christian than others, I suppose.

Then there is that pesky fact that holy seasons like Chrimmas and Easter Christians now celebrate come about as pagan evolutions.

Pick and choose what you like.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

GTAVercetti

****** The commandant is Thou shalt have no other gods before me. That means placing someone as better than God. But a Cathollic actually following the rules is not saing saint X is better than God.

Then there is that pesky fact that holy seasons like Chrimmas and Easter Christians now celebrate come about as pagan evolutions.

Q: What's CH3-CH2-O-(rabbit)?

A: The ether bunny.

GTAVercetti

Q: What's CH3-CH2-O-(rabbit)?

A: The ether bunny.

That is pretty damn nerdy.

I love it.

Not nerdy enough, this is better: CH3-CH2-O-(Leporidae)
:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Coreeece

***Others will know a good Christian by his words and deeds.

Scripture says they will be known by their fruit.

Words are cheap - and deeds, in vain. . .

So, lemme guess, you take that to mean literal fruit like oranges and pomegranates?

sigh...
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>>Scripture says they will be known by their fruit.
>>Words are cheap - and deeds, in vain. . .

>So, lemme guess, you take that to mean literal fruit like oranges and pomegranates?

Pomegranates aren't cheap. Have you looked at prices lately?

GTAVercetti

****** The commandant is Thou shalt have no other gods before me. That means placing someone as better than God. But a Cathollic actually following the rules is not saing saint X is better than God.

It's not about feeling better - as I said, my faith right now is about the weakest it's been it quite awhile. This is about defining Christianity. In the beginning Christianity was very simple, but now it's all convoluted. Scripture is hard enough to believe without having all this extra-biblical nonsense added to it over the years.

If you want to pray to the dead rather than Christ, then perhaps it shouldn't be called Christianity - I don't know, just a suggestion.

GTAVercetti

Some would say that those holidays were flat out hijackings of pagan culture, rather than "evolutions."

But regardless, Christian holidays aren't a matter of doctrine as is praying to the dead in Catholicism.

I have no problem treating the holidays just as any other day, but I don't want to be the party-pooper. Sometimes God blesses me with the flu and I can be left alone.

Also, Interestingly enough - the majority of people I spent last Christmas with were atheists. I wrote about it here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4776361;search_string=in-laws;#4776361

Brazil will be happy due to their fruit industry expansions as they leave Florida and other areas.
God must like them, or the statue.
I can only imagine the list of reasons he would hate Florida, Disney and Key West would top my thoughts on his list. :)

billvon

>>Scripture says they will be known by their fruit.
>>Words are cheap - and deeds, in vain. . .

>So, lemme guess, you take that to mean literal fruit like oranges and pomegranates?

Pomegranates aren't cheap. Have you looked at prices lately?

POM is reasonable, and you don't have to deal with all those seeds.

Coreeece

In the beginning Christianity was very simple, but now it's all convoluted. Scripture is hard enough to believe without having all this extra-biblical nonsense added to it over the years.

"Christianity" was originally a movement of Judaism that predated Christian Scripture, anf was then co-opted by the Roman Empire for a variety of reasons (subject to endless debate).

Much of the writings that were assembled by the First Council of Nicea to become Christian Scripture were everything you would expect of a committee with massively vested interests. The fact that the versions codified thereby were heavily redacted and suited to a European/Roman Empire audience is hardly surprising.

There is much to be learned by the study of these documents - the same can be said of the Koran - but there is little to be gained by absorbing any of it as The Truth (tm).

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

*** In the beginning Christianity was very simple, but now it's all convoluted. Scripture is hard enough to believe without having all this extra-biblical nonsense added to it over the years.

"Christianity" was originally a movement of Judaism that predated Christian Scripture, anf was then co-opted by the Roman Empire for a variety of reasons (subject to endless debate).

Much of the writings that were assembled by the First Council of Nicea to become Christian Scripture were everything you would expect of a committee with massively vested interests. The fact that the versions codified thereby were heavily redacted and suited to a European/Roman Empire audience is hardly surprising.

There is much to be learned by the study of these documents - the same can be said of the Koran - but there is little to be gained by absorbing any of it as The Truth (tm).

BSBD,

Winsor

For instance: Where is the book of Mary Magdaline? Was it left out because of the need to keep women as subservient, lesser beings? Why wasn't all the material put in the bible?
Who was so wise as to be able to know God's will in what he chose to be in the bible?

Any belief that STARTS with half truths - cannot be real. If you believe it to be real - you are fooling yourself. But I suppose some people need that crutch.

Not "you" Winston - the Royal, or understood you.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun