MotherGoose

FATALITY DATABASE

I try to stay current on fatalities in the sport but i'm finding it difficult. DZ.COM is not updating for some reason, does anyone know why ?? Also, is there another reliable online source that's updated regularly??
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

http://www.skydivingfatalities.info/ Is a source I use

I do a yearly roll up of Us fatalities on here....Search my user name and the word "fatalities". I think I have three years on here....Ok maybe only two.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1472310#1472310

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=869327#869327
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I try to stay current on fatalities in the sport but i'm finding it difficult. DZ.COM is not updating for some reason, does anyone know why ?? Also, is there another reliable online source that's updated regularly??

what exactly is not updating?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Its not updating because I have'nt put in the new reports. No one uses the "Report" button so I have to manually compile the info and put it into the report. I also wait usually at least 2 weeks for FACTS to come out about the incident, not the first rumors that appear. I've recieved some really nasty commets about posting the rumors up and I perfer to keep the info up there as accurate as possible. Also it usually takes 24 hours from when I key it in till you can read the report.

Sometimes I'll wait for the thread to die down a bit before I create the entry since as soon as I do its brought back up and it does not help anyone to keep fanning the flames.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The USPA also puts a whole bunch of their reports online. It's not just the fatalities, but many non-fatal incidents too. So there's a lot of interesting reading.

It's not clear from the web page how often it is updated or what date range is covered, but there should be plenty of new things to read if one checks it two or three times a year.

http://www.uspa.org/safety/incident.htm

Thanks Pete . . . there's a bit more reading on the USPA site than the Canadian site . . .

I guess you heard by now that we had a tandem cut-away this weekend. Juan had a fun reserve ride in with student in tow. Very uneventful in the end and the main and free-bag were both recovered un-scathed.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Thanks Pete . . . there's a bit more reading on the USPA site than the Canadian site . . .

I guess you heard by now that we had a tandem cut-away this weekend. Juan had a fun reserve ride in with student in tow. Very uneventful in the end and the main and free-bag were both recovered un-scathed.

Had not heard. Tell us more.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well nothing has been finalized. I looked at the lines on the main myself after the fact, but I found nothing wrong with the lines. Juan said he had a tension knot between a D line and a break line. I guess when he cut-away, the knot loosened.

You should have seen the tandem student, it was priceless. What are the odds of having a reserve rise on your first skydive ??

Does anyone know what the stats are on Sigma's for cutaway's due to mal's ?? It can't be that high, I was told that most DZ'z can easily go over 5000 jumps without a mal.

You said "fun reserve ride with student in tow", leading me to believe there was something extraordinary about the event. Was this just a malfunction and reserve deployment?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

There was on one last week, July 22. I was on the jump with him.

I am sorry to hear that. It sucks, I know from experience...

Did you check the incident's thread on this site - because I think there is a discussion online already about this incident. Perhaps you might have something to add to that forum....

What are the odds of having a reserve rise on your first skydive ??

I ended up with a reserve ride on my first tandem. It seems that the fabric in the main was bad. We blew out 3 cells. Talk about a bunch of beer on that one. 1st Tandem, 1st Skydive, and 1st reserve ride.[:/]

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!