brenthutch

The UN wants you to eat bugs, to save the planet

Fighting global warming will require “profound lifestyle changes” for millions of people, according to leaked European Union documents obtained by The Guardian.

“It will require exploring possibilities for realising ‘negative’ emissions as well as profound lifestyle changes of current generations,” read the document laying out the European Commission’s agenda. It was presented to foreign ministers in Belgium
For years, U.N. officials have been pushing rich countries to cut red meat out of their diets because of methane emissions from cows and the amount of water it takes to sustain livestock.
“Keeping meat consumption to levels recommended by health authorities would lower emissions and reduce heart disease, cancer, and other diseases,” former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan told The Guardian last year.

“And of course there are alternative sources of protein. For example, raising insects as an animal protein source,” Annan said. “Insects have a very good conversion rate from feed to meat. They make up part of the diet of two billion people and are commonly eaten in many parts of the world.”

“And of course there are alternative sources of protein. For example, raising insects as an animal protein source,” Annan said. “Insects have a very good conversion rate from feed to meat. They make up part of the diet of two billion people and are commonly eaten in many parts of the world.”

A lot of people on World Team 2006 tried fried bugs for the first time in Thailand. They are popular there.

Ever eat food died red with carmine dye? Kissed a woman with red lipstick (or worn it yourself)? Taken a red colored pill? Or a red candy (Skittles...)

If you have, you have certainly ingested the product of the cochineal bug.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Ever eat food died red with carmine dye? Kissed a woman with red lipstick (or worn it yourself)? Taken a red colored pill? Or a red candy (Skittles...)

That right there is funny. :D:D Next thing you're gonna say is that women slather whale poop all over themselves so they can smell better. :S

muff528

That right there is funny. :D:D Next thing you're gonna say is that women slather whale poop all over themselves so they can smell better. :S

Seems to be some dispute about which end of the whale it emerges from.

Anyhow, it's way too expensive now, a synthetic form, ambroxide, is used instead.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Seems to be some dispute about which end of the whale it emerges from.

AFAIC, if it's made in the intestine and eventually ejected, it's poop. Doesn't matter which way it goes from there. :D

Anyhow, it's way too expensive now, a synthetic form, ambroxide, is used instead.

Well, there goes one of the last few reasons I go to the beach. I guess all that's left now are fishing and ogling sightseeing.

ETA - also, to stay on topic, I don't mind eating the occasional bug.

Good news for our Jewish members:

The Torah forbids creeping things that crawl the earth (Hebrew: sheqets).[6] and "flying creeping things",[7][8] with four exceptions: two types of locust, the beetle/cricket, and the grasshopper.

:D

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_foods

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Always been interested in how various (specific) food prohibitions originated and became encoded in some cultural, ethnic, or religious doctrines and not others. I imagine trial and error over millennia.

"Don't eat that! Og tried one of those and you know what happened to him! That's what happened to Oop, too! Better write that down somewhere!"

"What you mean 'write' ??"

Just so everyone is a little less stupid...

What they are referring to are trophic levels, in retard terms, "who eats who." There is some variation but the rule of thumb for each ecosystem is an order of magnitude (thats times 10) of consumption from a lower trophic level to create the same amount of biomass at a higher one.

Some animals interact with few trophic levels (e.g. cows go straight to grass/corn whatever), others like apex predators go through several (e.g. game fish and sharks).

Anyway, using the rule of thumb (I'm sure it has actually been experimentally quantified somewhere) for a cow that weighs 1,000lbs, it would need to consume 10,000lbs of grass/corn or whatever. You only get about 600lbs from it so 600lbs of steak costs 10,000 lbs of corn.

Take a tuna for example, say it eats anchovies, that eats some smaller fish, that eats plankton. Thats 10 times 10 times 10 lbs of food consumed per lb of tuna produced. So a 1,000lb tuna "costs" 1,000,000 lbs of plankton.

So you can see where eating critters or plants at the bottom trophic levels is more efficient. i.e. less energy consumed.

*Did a little bit of reading about cows, it depends on how you define "beef" but the x10 rule is roughly correct from birth to slaughter.

kallend

***That would explain why tuna tastes 1000 times better than plankton.

How do you know that?

He did the math in the "new style". And I agree with his math. Also beef is 1000 times tastier than tuna. I can prove it with science. (sort of) Trust me.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

******That would explain why tuna tastes 1000 times better than plankton.

How do you know that?

He did the math in the "new style". And I agree with his math. Also beef is 1000 times tastier than tuna. I can prove it with science. (sort of) Trust me.

But how do you explain bacon?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

But how do you explain bacon?

Bacon is not explainable by math. It is of a level technically not possible. Einstein was working on the problem, but his Rabbi advised him to stop as his soul could be in danger.

(Before I get slammed for this, yes, I know he was an Athiest)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.