1 1

Are you Americans crazy enough to put Donald Trump in office?

31 minutes ago, airdvr said:

My point is if you want to use him as a symbol remember what happened to him. 

I also remember what happened to a lot of other people throughout history - JFK, Gandhi, Jesus, Nathan Hale.  Are you going to attack their methods, too?  Or were only MLK's methods a mistake?

Well Bill..haven't seen too many Gandhi or JFK protests lately.  And I'm not attacking MLK's methods so much as I am reminding white people who put MLK posts up on FB.

An old friend's daughter started pontificating about white privilege today.  There was never any person that I know of who didn't benefit from having wealthy parents and living in a great neighborhood than she.  It took all my willpower not to call her out.

She might be aware of that. I’m certainly aware of having had advantages from having intelligent, educated,  concerned parents with enough money. But it’s best to share, rather than revel in, privilege. 
Wendy P. 

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

No...it's me saying if you want to hold up an image of something you need to take into account the complete story.  He needed to throw in a big dose of caution.  Unfortunately he didn't and wound up dead.

King knew very well that it was probable that he would be killed. He came to terms with the fact well before it happened. Like all great men he was flawed. And some white men will often point to his flaws. But make no mistake, he was a great man.

18 minutes ago, airdvr said:

There was never any person that I know of who didn't benefit from having wealthy parents and living in a great neighborhood than she.  It took all my willpower not to call her out.

She is probably well aware of her privilege. As I am of mine. You? 

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

King knew very well that it was probable that he would be killed. He came to terms with the fact well before it happened. Like all great men he was flawed. And some white men will often point to his flaws. But make no mistake, he was a great man.

Wow - then to you Trump must be Great, REALLY great!  Fantastic in fact. A beautiful person.  One of the best ever!!

:tongue:

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

An old friend's daughter started pontificating about white privilege today.  There was never any person that I know of who didn't benefit from having wealthy parents and living in a great neighborhood than she.  It took all my willpower not to call her out.

Call her out for what?  Having white privilege?  Or privilege in general?  

Every one of us here does.  Every person who can afford a computer and can afford to skydive has more privilege than 99% of the people on the planet.  Most people here have other privileges as well.  The more self-aware people here realize that.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Well Bill..haven't seen too many Gandhi or JFK protests lately.  And I'm not attacking MLK's methods so much as I am reminding white people who put MLK posts up on FB.

White people are wrong to quote MLK?  Not sure why you think that.

8 hours ago, airdvr said:

My point is if you want to use him as a symbol remember what happened to him.  I seriously doubt black people will respond the way you expect them to.

Eh? You were responding to someone who was using an MLK quote on how to measure a man to put Trump's behaviour in context.

What on earth does that have to do with how black people will respond to anything?

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Reminding them of what?

That people should not have principles and ideals to live by. Follow the crowd and never challenge the status quo. 

I am pretty sure I’ve posted this before, but it is interesting what yardstick you measure yourself against. I grew up in Zimbabwe and was not racist but South Africans were. Then after 10 years in the UK I realised how racist Zimbabweans (including myself are). It is still something I have to fight myself over, I have automatic thoughts and biases that I have to challenge myself over. Having moved from the UK to Australia I find myself once again in a very racist society - people here have very strong views on the indigenous population.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

I am pretty sure I’ve posted this before, but it is interesting what yardstick you measure yourself against. I grew up in Zimbabwe and was not racist but South Africans were. Then after 10 years in the UK I realised how racist Zimbabweans (including myself are). It is still something I have to fight myself over, I have automatic thoughts and biases that I have to challenge myself over. 

To me, the ability to examine one's own belief and behavior system, question it, and modify it without simply saying "it's all bullshit" or "it's all perfect" is a huge sign of being a mature adult.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

To me, the ability to examine one's own belief and behavior system, question it, and modify it without simply saying "it's all bullshit" or "it's all perfect" is a huge sign of being a mature adult.

Wendy P.

Thank you

On 5/1/2020 at 8:26 AM, turtlespeed said:

With what the administration had done, I'm not all that unhappy.

How he has acted, and his presence, I'm face palming a lot.

With what he has done??? It is a national embarrassment that so many Americans will wake this morning still supporting Trump, their vote for Trump and still proud of their support for him during the last 3 1/2 years. 

Trump just gassed, pepper sprayed and dispersed with rubber bullet's your fellow Americans who were peaceably assembled outside of the White House. And this was done for no other reason than to do a photo op and show how tough he is. Does that simply make you unhappy and warrant another face palm?

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

With what he has done??? It is a national embarrassment that so many Americans will wake this morning still supporting Trump, their vote for Trump and still proud of their support for him during the last 3 1/2 years. 

Trump just gassed, pepper sprayed and dispersed with rubber bullet's your fellow Americans who were peaceably assembled outside of the White House. And this was done for no other reason than to do a photo op and show how tough he is. Does that simply make you unhappy and warrant another face palm?

Cringe.  and facepalm.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

The sycophants and toadies will hang in there.

Top congressional Republicans on the photo op:

“I haven’t seen it"
“I don’t have any comment on that.”
“I didn’t watch it closely enough to know.”
“I didn’t follow it, I’m sorry.”
"I’m not going to critique other people’s performances"

There's some brave stands taken there.  I especially like McConnell's admission that it was a performance.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

“I haven’t seen it"
“I don’t have any comment on that.”
“I didn’t watch it closely enough to know.”
“I didn’t follow it, I’m sorry.”
"I’m not going to critique other people’s performances"

Hi Bill,

Not an iota of integrity among them.  Not that I would expect any.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Are you a lawyer Jerry?

I'm not Jerry, but I believe he's said that his son is an attorrney. 

So what? There are attorneys with a great deal of integrity. There are others that are absolute slimeballs. 

Kinda like politicians (many of whom are attorneys or have law degrees).