1 1

Are you Americans crazy enough to put Donald Trump in office?

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 434,

It has been amazingly silent lately.

And as the swing voters start siding with the saner candidate, the Trump extremists will get more overheated and desperate.  Watch social media for a sudden flurry of screaming #metoo Trump supporters.

15 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

With what the administration had done, I'm not all that unhappy.

How he has acted, and his presence, I'm face palming a lot.

What has this administration done that you find admirable? This is an honest question (I'm not a trapper). For every potentially good thing, I can think of a lot of "but why did he do it this way" questions. He is working on immigration, but he's doing it as expensively and punitively as possible, rather than trying to come up with an effective plan that's more into addressing the causes, rather than building fences.

It's kind of like your health -- it's better to maintain a healthy lifestyle in the first place, to reduce your reliance on wonder drugs. We have statins, oxygen, and insulin to fix the problems of lack of exercise, smoking, and poor eating habits. But isn't it a good idea also to address the underlying problems, rather than throwing your everything into the "fix it" pills?

That's what I don't see Trump doing, pretty much ever. 

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

What has this administration done that you find admirable? This is an honest question (I'm not a trapper).***

Mostly the economy.

Before the covid hit - we had the lowest unemployment in a very long time.  This was especially true with minorities (I think we saw the lowest unemployment ever.)  Women's unemployment numbers reached the lowest in like 70? years.

I'm not a fan of the tax cuts for the 1%, but middle class cuts are very acceptable and needed.

I was extremely happy that we have the "right to try" now.  That may be proving to be a life extender for at least one family member.

I'm in favor of stepping back from the Iran nuke deal.  It was shitty then, and it needs to be fixed. Don't confuse that with me liking HOW it was done - just that I agree with the premise.

There were a couple other smaller items - like one that was for protecting the critters, and animals.

***Just because YOU aren't a trapper, doesn't mean that the rest won't pounce on this, but I answered it anyway.***  So here we go . . . <facepalm>

38 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

***Just because YOU aren't a trapper, doesn't mean that the rest won't pounce on this, but I answered it anyway.***  So here we go . . . <facepalm>

Mwahaha! ]:)

That said, I disagree on the Iran deal; keep your friends close and your enemies closer, and all that. But no, they're not sweetness and light.

I both agree and disagree on the economy; by the measures of unemployment and the stock market, it was booming. But by the measures of people being able to do what they want to, I'm not as sure. The rich keep getting richer, but that booming middle class that we used to have is getting bifurcated into two; lower middle class (living paycheck to paycheck, but making their bills), and upper middle class, who probably would have been closer to rich 50 years ago. Except that now, rich is so much richer, that we need a whole lot more shades of it.

Wendy P.

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I both agree and disagree on the economy; by the measures of unemployment and the stock market, it was booming.

Only if you believe the hype of "highest ever" and "lowest ever". The stock market grew more under Obama. Obama created more jobs.

Your stock market was bought up by tax payer dollars. The corporate tax cuts were not used for investment into the business, they were by and large used to buy up the stock market through share buy back programs. In other words, the growth in market that Trump achieved was not actual growth in the economy. There were serious signs of a looming recession pre-covid.

51 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

But by the measures of people being able to do what they want to, I'm not as sure.

Corporate America keeps it's workers under the thumb by making health insurance contingent on employment until retirement.

On 2/15/2016 at 7:57 PM, 434 said:

What would jesus do?

I can tell you, it looks like Monty Python's Flying Circus show. Explain for me, and everyone else, why do you consider Donald as a better person for office, than anyone else. Why?

Believe me, I have seen some few debates, and it is fascinating so many people actually seriously saying they are going to vote for him. I just cant get it.

Martin Luther King, Jr. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

I don't think we have an instrument that can measure that low.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 12:39 AM, tonyhays said:

Martin Luther King, Jr. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

I don't think we have an instrument that can measure that low.

I just love when people use MLK as an example...his methods didn't turn out all that well for him.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I just love when people use MLK as an example...his methods didn't turn out all that well for him.

Is that you agreeing that peaceful protests don't work and violence is sometimes required?

1 minute ago, okalb said:

Is that you agreeing that peaceful protests don't work and violence is sometimes required?

No...it's me saying if you want to hold up an image of something you need to take into account the complete story.  He needed to throw in a big dose of caution.  Unfortunately he didn't and wound up dead.

24 minutes ago, airdvr said:

No...it's me saying if you want to hold up an image of something you need to take into account the complete story.  He needed to throw in a big dose of caution.  Unfortunately he didn't and wound up dead.

AKA uppity negro got what he deserved.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

So it's too bad that MLK worked as hard as he did for racial equality, because he wound up dead?  He (and we) would have been better off if he'd been more courteous and less confrontational?

Wow.  (Although it probably aligns with something Trump would say - "I prefer leaders who weren't assassinated.")

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Dude. That's frankly despicable. Honestly. Dr King was willing to risk his life to fight for the principles he believed in. The fact that it cost him his life in no way lessens his example to any other person of principle and passion.

I'm curious - how would you feel about someone who said the same thing you just did about a US soldier who volunteered when war was declared and then was killed on the beaches of Normandy? 'Love it when people use him as an example - dude should have been more careful! Did not turn out well for him.'

42 minutes ago, billvon said:

So it's too bad that MLK worked as hard as he did for racial equality, because he wound up dead?  He (and we) would have been better off if he'd been more courteous and less confrontational?

Wow.  (Although it probably aligns with something Trump would say - "I prefer leaders who weren't assassinated.")

Its an understated shame that he was murdered.  He was doing good work on the racial divide.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Its an understated shame that he was murdered.  He was doing good work on the racial divide.

Yes he was.  And I'd consider it fortunate for the USA that he was as outspoken as he was - even if he upset a lot of people.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Yes he was.  And I'd consider it fortunate for the USA that he was as outspoken as he was - even if he upset a lot of people.

My point is if you want to use him as a symbol remember what happened to him.  I seriously doubt black people will respond the way you expect them to.

17 minutes ago, airdvr said:

My point is if you want to use him as a symbol remember what happened to him.  I seriously doubt black people will respond the way you expect them to.

I think likely the black community will remember that white supremacists killed him and get even more enraged.

Just now, turtlespeed said:

I think likely the black community will remember that white supremacists killed him and get even more enraged.

Thank you.  Careful though...the thought gestapo in here might think you're a racist or something.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Thank you.  Careful though...the thought gestapo in here might think you're a racist or something.

The inference I took from your earlier statement was the one that others took — he died. Ya know, we study Nathan Hale in US History, and Mahatma Gandhi and MLK in world history. For that matter, many people study Jesus Christ — they all died for something they thought was that important. And Jesus, at least, has plenty of people willing to kill in his name. Not everyone, but it doesn’t take a lot, does it?

Wendy P. 

Edited by wmw999