PhreeZone

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79

jakee

Do you think that's what he meant?
NOPE. not even close. It's a good starting place rather than what some would think is a requirement like "A judge must be a raving (leftist/evangelical/agrees with my subjective opinions)"

Too bad that's not on the official list of requirements;)
I agree.

I'd still like to know the requirements though. If people want to abuse the term "qualifications" incorrectly, then at least knowing the true baseline let's us understand how the writer is using it. For clarity......Like the president has an age limit, some sort of citizenship requirement, and some sort of "not a felon" kind of thing - I'm not sure about the last one, and some seem to think the 2nd one is flexible......anything else is really, then, just resume content - YMMV

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd still like to know the requirements though. If people want to abuse the term "qualifications" incorrectly, then at least knowing the true baseline let's us understand how the writer is using it.

I'm pretty sure they have to be alive and human, for issues of practicality if nothing else. The rest is up for grabs though.

For clarity......Like the president has an age limit, some sort of citizenship requirement, and some sort of "not a felon" kind of thing - I'm not sure about the last one, and some seem to think the 2nd one is flexible......

Nix on the last one, and the second one isn't flexible as such, there are just disagreements on what it means (by people who assume it's more restrictive than it really is).
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

DanG

I tried to open discussion on the topic - but no one wanted to even try.

I submit again, Anita Hill.

If most of your posts are drive-by one liners, do not be surprised when people assume that a post such as this is a drive-by one liner.

Of course, it actually is a drive-by one liner, but I'll play along. Maybe you have some sort of valid point besides giggling about sexual harassment.

Anita Hill is not qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice.

What specifically and constitutionally disqualifies her from being a justice?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

jakee

I'm pretty sure they have to be alive and human, for issues of practicality if nothing else. The rest is up for grabs though.

Correct.

Are there qualifications to be a Justice? Do you have to be a lawyer or attend law school to be a Supreme Court Justice?

The Constitution does not specify qualifications for Justices such as age, education, profession, or native-born citizenship. A Justice does not have to be a lawyer or a law school graduate, but all Justices have been trained in the law. Many of the 18th and 19th century Justices studied law under a mentor because there were few law schools in the country.

The last Justice to be appointed who did not attend any law school was James F. Byrnes (1941-1942). He did not graduate from high school and taught himself law, passing the bar at the age of 23.

Robert H. Jackson (1941-1954). While Jackson did not attend an undergraduate college, he did study law at Albany Law School in New York. At the time of his graduation, Jackson was only twenty years old and one of the requirements for a law degree was that students must be twenty-one years old. Thus rather than a law degree, Jackson was awarded with a "diploma of graduation." Twenty-nine years later, Albany Law School belatedly presented Jackson with a law degree noting his original graduating class of 1912.

Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/faq.aspx#faqgi2
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There are no requirements to be a Justice. The Constitution does not say anything about who may be appointed. No age, legal experience, or even citizenship requirements. The number of justices is not even called out in the Constitution. The only thing the Constitution says is that the Justices serve "during good behavior".

When I said Anita Hill isn't qualified, I meant that in my opinion she does not have the experience to be a Justice. She is technically qualified, as are you and I, but none of us would make a very good Justice.

- Dan G

DanG

When I said Anita Hill isn't qualified, I meant that in my opinion she does not have the experience to be a Justice.

of course all that really means is you don't like that she's black and female and you don't like to see.....

((nope, I can't do it with a straight face....would someone play these cards for me? I don't really mean it and Dan's not really that way. And most would just ignore the joke/cynical/ironic icons I would post))

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Huh? You must be confused. In fact, I don't think she's qualified because she's a black woman. God wanted women to be subserviant to men, and He also wanted the races to remain separated. A dark skinned woman has no right, on Earth or in Heaven, to rule on issues of import to white Christian men.

Duh.

- Dan G

ryoder

This has the potential to really change the balance of the Supreme Court since Obama will now get the opportunity to appoint one more justice before he leaves office. Granted this means a lot of time in Congress will now need to be spent vetting a candidate before appointment. It will be sad if congress stalls on this for the remaining 10 months of any presidents term to prevent something like this from moving forward.

I have complete confidence the extremist fringe in the GOP will attempt just that.

I think the GOP should follow the Dems long history of blocking, Borking and delaying. Let Obama nominate...and get around to consideration say late January 2017

Channman

This has the potential to really change the balance of the Supreme Court since Obama will now get the opportunity to appoint one more justice before he leaves office. Granted this means a lot of time in Congress will now need to be spent vetting a candidate before appointment. It will be sad if congress stalls on this for the remaining 10 months of any presidents term to prevent something like this from moving forward.

I have complete confidence the extremist fringe in the GOP will attempt just that.

I think the GOP should follow the Dems long history of blocking, Borking and delaying. Let Obama nominate...and get around to consideration say late January 2017

And if its a dem senate and pres by then that should work out quite nicely for them.
The GOP have the opportunity to consider someone center-ish right now, but thats the risk they run by delaying.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'm hearing on the news that Justice Scalia was a guest at John Poindexter's ranch. Poindexter was/is a major contributor to the Democratic Party. Furthermore, Scalia was found with a pillow over his head and, per Poindexter's telephone conversation with the medical examiner, there was no autopsy.

Hmmm! "House of Cards" comes back to mind.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

It's a commercial resort-type ranch; it's not like he was a personal guest. I've stayed there, too.

When it's a Supreme Court Justice who's visiting, they get to meet the owner (we sure didn't). It might even have been entirely reserved for a private party (the Stones did that, too), without other hoi polloi like me and my husband.

Poindexter has spent a ton of money (locally) to restore the vegetation and habitat on the ranch so that it's more self-sustaining than the cedar-choked lands that surround it.

House of Cards is a TV show. It doesn't reflect reality any better Han The Apprentice.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It's a commercial resort-type ranch; it's not like he was a personal guest. I've stayed there, too.

When it's a Supreme Court Justice who's visiting, they get to meet the owner (we sure didn't). It might even have been entirely reserved for a private party (the Stones did that, too), without other hoi polloi like me and my husband.

Poindexter has spent a ton of money (locally) to restore the vegetation and habitat on the ranch so that it's more self-sustaining than the cedar-choked lands that surround it.

House of Cards is a TV show. It doesn't reflect reality any better Han The Apprentice.

Wendy P.

Touched a nerve?

Or am I reading to much into that?

Pillow over the head - Seems pretty fishy. Or maybe he was a pillow biter.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Boomerdog

I tried in my post #58. He doesn't get it rush. Doubt he ever will.

How about trying this one then?:P

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/schumer-flashback-we-should-not-confirm-any-bush-nominee-supreme-court

There is a video here that exposes the doubled faced SOB's that are the Democrats in power
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

turtlespeed

***It's a commercial resort-type ranch; it's not like he was a personal guest. I've stayed there, too.

Wendy P.

Touched a nerve?

Or am I reading to much into that?

Pillow over the head - Seems pretty fishy. Or maybe he was a pillow biter.:P

Keep in mind that we are the people that demanded excruciating examination of the evidence in the OJ Simpson murder trial. More recently, consider the fervor over alleged failure to examine the evidence in the Steven Avery murder trial.

Justice Scalia was found with a PILLOW OVER HIS HEAD.

This is considered by the liberals as, nothing to see here, move along.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

turtlespeed

Pillow over the head - Seems pretty fishy.

I woke up this morning with a pillow over my head.

Maybe my wife is trying to kill me....

or maybe that's just how I was sleeping.

How do you people function with the levels paranoia in your lives? :S

DanG

So, you think someone murdered him with a pillow, but decided to leave it over his face as a cute little clue? Don't you think a murderer would be smart enough to tuck the pillow back under his head?

I don't think anything. I am just amused.