turtlespeed

Damn, now global warming has affected my listening experience.

billvon

>Swing and a miss, MSNBC in the morning and NPR in the afternoon.

MSNBC may have fed you that, but I've never heard anything like that on NPR. I think you are making things up again. (Or you are listening to Breitbart.)

Your claim that all those things are ridiculous are precisely the point. Scientists did not say that the Earth was headed towards "droughts, floods, extended dry spells, long freezes, delayed monsoons" - a journalist did. Just as today scientists are not saying we are all going to die tomorrow - journalists are saying that.

When you are at the DZ, do you get skydiving advice from the reporters who came there to cover the latest fatality? Or the S+TA, the DZO, the chief instructor and the 4-way team that's consistently getting into the top 5 in open class? You might prefer the reporters; they're a lot more exciting. But the experts would really be a better source.

I have heard these predictions, first hand, from Dr. Michale Mann during a "lunch bag forum" at Penn State. No less shrill are the prognostications of Dr. James Hansen, former NASA scientist and Obama's science adviser. Both men are "Climate Scientists".
BTW I am the S&TA and chief instructor.

I have heard these predictions, first hand, from Dr. Michale Mann during a "lunch bag forum" at Penn State. No less shrill are the prognostications of Dr. James Hansen, former NASA scientist and Obama's science adviser. Both men are "Climate Scientists".

Such prominent climate change "alarmists" must have written these things down. Perhaps you can cite one or two examples. Or do you really want us to just believe that they only said these astounding things in a couple lectures where you happened to be present?

- Dan G

billvon

MSNBC may have fed you that, but I've never heard anything like that on NPR.

If you listen carefully (to NPR) you will hear climate change and LGTB issues subtly woven throughout their reporting. Listen to a podcast of The Alleghany Front and tell me if you feel the same.

DanG

Such prominent climate change "alarmists" must have written these things down. Perhaps you can cite one or two examples. Or do you really want us to just believe that they only said these astounding things in a couple lectures where you happened to be present?

From Dr. James Hansen:

"Imagine a giant asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth. That is the equivalent of what we face now [with climate change], yet we dither."

"We are on the precipice of climate system tipping points beyond which there is no redemption."

"Planet Earth, creation, the world in which civilization developed, the world with climate patterns that we know and stable shorelines, is in imminent peril."

"The trains carrying coal to power plants are death trains. Coal-fired power plants are factories of death"

"We have at most ten years—not ten years to decide upon action, but ten years to alter fundamentally the trajectory of global greenhouse emissions." (He said ten years ago)

Rajendra Pachauri, the former head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said in 2007 that if “there’s no action before 2012, that’s too late.”

brenthutch

From Dr. James Hansen:

"Imagine a giant asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth. That is the equivalent of what we face now [with climate change], yet we dither."

"We are on the precipice of climate system tipping points beyond which there is no redemption."

"Planet Earth, creation, the world in which civilization developed, the world with climate patterns that we know and stable shorelines, is in imminent peril."

"The trains carrying coal to power plants are death trains. Coal-fired power plants are factories of death"

"We have at most ten years—not ten years to decide upon action, but ten years to alter fundamentally the trajectory of global greenhouse emissions." (He said ten years ago)

Rajendra Pachauri, the former head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said in 2007 that if “there’s no action before 2012, that’s too late.”

This is how you will be received in your quoting:
"He couldn't have said those things. Even if he did, it was only to illustrate his passion. Besides - it's true after all."
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

brenthutch

From Dr. James Hansen:

We must all be dead.

Is this heaven?

I don't have time to look up all those quotes and show the context, but here is the first one. I'll let the readers decide if your selective quote captured the essence of what he was saying:

Now the tragedy about climate change is that we can solve it with a simple, honest approach of a gradually rising carbon fee collected from fossil fuel companies and distributed 100 percent electronically every month to all legal residents on a per capita basis, with the government not keeping one dime. Most people would get more in the monthly dividend than they'd pay in increased prices. This fee and dividend would stimulate the economy and innovations, creating millions of jobs. It is the principal requirement for moving us rapidly to a clean energy future. Several top economists are coauthors on this proposition. Jim DiPeso of Republicans for Environmental Protection describes it thusly: "Transparent. Market-based. Does not enlarge government. Leaves energy decisions to individual choices. Sounds like a conservative climate plan." But instead of placing a rising fee on carbon emissions to make fossil fuels pay their true cost to society, our governments are forcing the public to subsidize fossil fuels by 400 to 500 billion dollars per year worldwide, thus encouraging extraction of every fossil fuel -- mountaintop removal, longwall mining, fracking, tar sands, tar shale, deep ocean Arctic drilling. This path, if continued, guarantees that we will pass tipping points leading to ice sheet disintegration that will accelerate out of control of future generations. A large fraction of species will be committed to extinction. And increasing intensity of droughts and floods will severely impact breadbaskets of the world, causing massive famines and economic decline. Imagine a giant asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth. That is the equivalent of what we face now. Yet, we dither, taking no action to divert the asteroid, even though the longer we wait, the more difficult and expensive it becomes. If we had started in 2005, it would have required emission reductions of three percent per year to restore planetary energy balance and stabilize climate this century. If we start next year, it is six percent per year. If we wait 10 years, it is 15 percent per year -- extremely difficult and expensive, perhaps impossible. But we aren't even starting.

- Dan G

>I would direct them to a climate scientist who could scare them with stories of asteroids, death trains,
>crop failures polar bears and floodroughts

Well, you can certainly exercise your God-given right to remain ignorant, I suppose. It's certainly working for the Republicans.

billvon

>I would direct them to a climate scientist who could scare them with stories of asteroids, death trains,
>crop failures polar bears and floodroughts

Well, you can certainly exercise your God-given right to remain ignorant, I suppose. It's certainly working for the Republicans.

Non sequitur, try again.

>Non sequitur, try again.

Sorry you didn't understand.

If you deliberately seek out disinformation, direct other people to said disinformation, and believe said disinformation, then you are trying to remain ignorant. Seems to be a popular pastime, and it's your right to do so.

Good luck with that. Like I said, works for the GOP.

billvon

>Non sequitur, try again.

Sorry you didn't understand.

If you deliberately seek out disinformation, direct other people to said disinformation, and believe said disinformation, then you are trying to remain ignorant. Seems to be a popular pastime, and it's your right to do so.

Good luck with that. Like I said, works for the GOP.

I am just quoting climate scientist, the disinformation you speak of is from them. I for one don't believe in "death trains".

billvon

>I am just quoting climate scientist

Uh - OK. Like I said, it is your right as an American to remain as ignorant as you want to be. Looks like you are taking full advantage of that.

As my great grand daddy Beauregard Hutchings used to say "personal attacks are the last refuge of a scoundrel." That said, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you are not aware of Dr. James Hansen's status as a climate scientist and are unaware of the apocalyptic tripe spewed by Hansen, Mann, Pachauri et al. As I tell my seven year old; stop, take a deep breath, get your thoughts together, and try again.

billvon

MSNBC may have fed you that, but I've never heard anything like that on NPR. I think you are making things up again.

Yesterday on NPR, (All Things Considered) a scientist was wringing his hands over his findings that a large percent of middle and high school science curriculums are teaching that climate change is a result of BOTH man made and natural influences. He said that this was confusing and sent mixed messages. When asked why this was happening he said that is was because teachers were not properly educated.

From the transcript:
NPR science correspondent Christopher Joyce says the world's major scientific organizations are now clear on global warming:

"They've all said: It's happening, and it's being caused by human activity. Add to that the fact that most of the published literature that you see in the big journals, like Science and Nature and Geophysical Research Letters, is all showing a consensus. It's overwhelming.

That's why this new survey of some 1,500 middle and high school science teachers, representing all 50 states, is surprising. Roughly 3 in 4 say they talk about global warming in class, though typically only for an hour or two. But the study's lead author, Eric Plutzer of Penn State, says barely a majority are getting the science right.

"A little more than half are sending clear messages that human consumption of fossil fuels is the major cause of recent warming," Plutzer says.

What are the rest saying?

Well, roughly 30 percent tell students that humans are only partly to blame for climate change, along with natural causes. The problem with that, Plutzer says, is that it sends mixed messages, suggesting that the causes of climate change are still up for debate — when there is no debate among the vast majority of climate scientists.

Why the disconnect between science teachers and climate science?

"Very few of our teachers had formal training while in college," Plutzer says,

brenthutch

"Very few of our teachers had formal training while in college," Plutzer says,

When the football coach is asked to teach physics because the school has no physics teachers, you know something is wrong with the system. (Happened around here some years ago and we are not atypical):

www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2011/06/08/many-stem-teachers-dont-hold-certifications

In 2009, 65% of high school physics teachers in the USA had no degree in physics, nor even a physics minor.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

brenthutch

***>Swing and a miss, MSNBC in the morning and NPR in the afternoon.

MSNBC may have fed you that, but I've never heard anything like that on NPR.

Headline on NPR

"Climate Change Is Killing Us, Literally — And Here's How"

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/12/07/458487877/climate-change-is-killing-us-literally-and-heres-how

The link is to the story. The point it seems to make is that climate change is driving the expansion of the range of the mosquito carrying Zika.

I agree with brenthutch that the headline is overreaching and sensationalist. If I was not too lazy I'd file a complaint with NPR's ombudsman. It damages their credibility to use headlines like this, and the premise of the story is weak.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Another gem

"A senior environmental official at the United Nations, Noel Brown, says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the earth by rising sea levels if global warming is not reversed by the year 2000.
San Jose Mercury News 30 Jun 1989"

Another

Barack Obama has only four years to save the world. That is the stark assessment of Nasa scientist and leading climate expert Jim Hansen who last week warned only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth. Crucially, that action will have to be taken within Obama’s first administration, he added.
The Guardian, 18 Jan 2009

Another
“[By] 1995, the greenhouse effect would be desolating the heartlands of North America and Eurasia with horrific drought, causing crop failures and food riots…[By 1996] The Platte River of Nebraska would be dry, while a continent-wide black blizzard of prairie topsoil will stop traffic on interstates, strip paint from houses and shut down computers.”
Michael Oppenheimer, published in “Dead Heat,” St. Martin’s Press, 1990

Another

Mark Lynas draws on the latest science to describe the world under warming scenarios ranging from 1° (bad) to 6°C (unimaginably bad). He sums up the task with brutal candour: “we have only seven years left to peak global emissions before facing escalating dangers of runaway global warming.”
review of Recent Books about Climate Change, By Clive Hamilton,
http://www.themonthly.com.au October 2008

I could do this all day.... Wait! I DO do this all day.

brenthutch

Another gem published 2007 in the Canadian

"Over 4.5 Billion people could die from Global Warming-related causes by 2012. Runaway Global Warming promises to literally burn-up agricultural areas into dust worldwide by 2012, causing global famine, anarchy, diseases, and war on a global scale as military powers including the U.S., Russia, and China, fight for control of the Earth’s remaining resources."

I have been Canadian all my life, but I've never heard of this publication. (There is a train by this name) Where did you get this quote?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Google has never heard of it, nor the quote. Wherever you got it from I call bullshit.

I think I found the source on some blog site. It is some sort of compilation. Someone who is not credible wrote those words in 2007 in an opinion piece. It is not a newspaper and not a news source.

How is it relevant?