turtlespeed

Damn, now global warming has affected my listening experience.

It's so windy the radio reception is poor.

Time to turn on a book.

I guess I just adapted to climate change.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

It's so windy the radio reception is poor.

Time to turn on a book.

You bring up a darn good point. I don't understand why some people want to argue whether the increase in green house gases is warming the Earth. The real argument and discussion should be around how much we should change our behavior to deal with it versus learning to cope with it.

Clearly warming is here and is not going to reverse by itself, or even with substantial efforts. There are going to be winners and losers as sea levels rise, and agricultural production shifts. We need to be planning how to deal with it. We are a very adaptable species, but there are a lot of unknowns.

I hope you enjoy your book. Is it a dead tree edition of a .pdf file?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***It's so windy the radio reception is poor.

Time to turn on a book.

You bring up a darn good point. I don't understand why some people want to argue whether the increase in green house gases is warming the Earth. The real argument and discussion should be around how much we should change our behavior to deal with it versus learning to cope with it.

Clearly warming is here and is not going to reverse by itself, or even with substantial efforts. There are going to be winners and losers as sea levels rise, and agricultural production shifts. We need to be planning how to deal with it. We are a very adaptable species, but there are a lot of unknowns.

I hope you enjoy your book. Is it a dead tree edition of a .pdf file?

Audible.com type MP3 - HD - Terry Goodkind - The Third Kingdom - getting to the end of a long series - simple entertainment, it's nice to listen to while I do menial tasks getting the last little things done here.

In re to your comments -
I think it is more "fundy" if the alarmists are allowed to keep putting fear into people.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

I think it is more "fundy" if the alarmists are allowed to keep putting fear into people.

We have a society that accepts weather forecasts from a large rodent.

Record high temps absolutely prove global warming and record lows absolutely prove that global temps are increasing, which results in *colder winters?

ISIS is a fear mongering rumor started by Republicans, our biggest threat to national security is the weather, politicians are honest, our government is for the People, of the People, and by the People, and the Bill of Rights is a list of guaranteed liberties, and for every $1 you send to me, some portion of it will be donated to the Veterans.

*Here's a thought. If we pretend malfunctions don't really exist, can we stop wasting money on reserves? Maybe instead of buying individual rigs, we can all donate towards softer DZs and just stick the landings safely without any declaration assistance at all*

"Alarmist" is just a mocking term used to denigrate people who don't agree with you. No one will ever consider your argument if you begin it with an insult. No one is really alarming, science is looking and speaking calmly and rationally. A more accurate term would be "concernist".

Record temps and unusual weather do prove little or nothing on their own. The strong indicators of change are the slow but steady rise in sea level, the retreat of glaciers, and the related easily tracked and measured increase in atmospheric CO2. Coupled with models that predict warming.

The Earth does go through cycles of all these things, and there is no chance that mankind is going to cause true record amounts of any of them. What is different is the speed at which the change is occurring. And the cause of the change. We are not going to damage Earth beyond recognition, but we may very well degrade it's ability to support our civilization.

It's not alarmist to recognize that fact. No one is running around in circles waving and screaming that the end is near. Instead rational people are calling for the world to work together and try to lower the rate at which we are changing the atmosphere.

I would say that anyone claiming there is some sort of conspiracy of scientists somehow working against the interests of western countries in general, and the USA in particular is being the real "alarmist".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Stumpy

Audible.com type MP3 - HD - Terry Goodkind - The Third Kingdom

Worth a listen?

The initial series (11 books) are by far the best books I've ever read, I can't recommend them enough.

The 4 that follow are ok, they're worth a read but aren't anywhere near the quality of the originals. If they were movies, they'd be sequels to get a paycheck instead of sequels to finish the story.

purevl

Worth a listen?

The initial series (11 books) are by far the best books I've ever read, I can't recommend them enough.

The 4 that follow are ok, they're worth a read but aren't anywhere near the quality of the originals. If they were movies, they'd be sequels to get a paycheck instead of sequels to finish the story.

Terry even says so in his blog.
Richards and Kahlan's world is not safe - it just appeared that way at the end of the original series.

He had intended to end it at Confessor, but decided to write the omen machine -
I just started Severed souls this afternoon.

Bring on the bringer of death. I assume there will now be a fourth definition of the title, and maybe a fifth.

turtlespeed

Worth a listen?

Richards and Kahlan's world is not safe - it just appeared that way at the end of the original series.

Bring on the bringer of death. I assume there will now be a fourth definition of the title, and maybe a fifth.

Cool - I'll queue the first one up. Haven't listened to anything that really grabbed me since the commonwealth saga.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

Worth a listen?

Cool - I'll queue the first one up. Haven't listened to anything that really grabbed me since the commonwealth saga.

Watch out for Zedicus Zule Zarrandar - he's a sneaky one.:P

If you get tired of those and need a break - I recommend the mistborn series.

Stumpy

Worth a listen?

If you do, note that occasionally (frequently), the main character goes off on ten pages of social/political rant. The first couple are ok, after that, you can pretty much see it coming once or twice in each book - I just skip that dialogue and get back to the (generally excellent) story line. (I am very sympathetic to the content of the rant and what Goodkind wants us to infer about contemporary society as a reflection of his story line - but it gets really old regardless).

It's a decent series though.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Record high temps absolutely prove global warming and record lows absolutely prove that global
>temps are increasing, which results in *colder winters?

Nope. Only in very rare cases is that true. For the most part, warming results in warmer summers and warmer winters.

rehmwa

Worth a listen?

If you do, note that occasionally (frequently), the main character goes off on ten pages of social/political rant. The first couple are ok, after that, you can pretty much see it coming once or twice in each book - I just skip that dialogue and get back to the (generally excellent) story line. (I am very sympathetic to the content of the rant and what Goodkind wants us to infer about contemporary society as a reflection of his story line - but it gets really old regardless).

It's a decent series though.

I agree that he does that - I was a bit put off - but the story line was good enough to over look that part.

It did get annoying - but despite that - I still recommend it -

Commonwealth series - I always thought it starts with pandora's star. I'll have to read misspent youth.

So NOAA listed 2014 as in the top 3% of coldest winters for the last 10,000 years. 2014 is the second time in recorded history that Niagara Falls was frozen to a halt. If the world is warming, why would we see colder winters?

I'm not an Environmental Scientist, nor do I spend much time looking at environmental research, but it's my general opinion that we are seeing normal weather cycles that take thousands of years to complete.

If one were to base an opinion on weather from a 90 day observation from March to June, they would think temps are raising at an alarming rate and the world would be 1000 degrees by the end of the year. If they watch for a complete year, they would see everything return to normal.

Since the planet was born, there have been periods of abnormally high temperatures and here have been ice ages. The thought that mankind bares more influence over he weather than the sun, the oceans, the Earths magnetic field, wind currents, and so on just seems kind of silly to me.

I believe in recycling, managing wildlife resources like tuna, and keeping chemicals out of the ground water, but we can't control the weather.

normiss

I'm still stuck on your first sentence.
In 30+ years of technology, I didn't think that worked that way.
:P
It's entirely possible the mammoth waveguides I worked around for a number of years could have had an impact on my memory though.
:)

I took 5 minutes to see if that was even a possibility, and it said high enough wind could distort the FM waves enough to make a difference.:)
This sounded thought out and reasonable - so I went with that.

So NOAA listed 2014 as in the top 3% of coldest winters for the last 10,000 years. 2014 is the second time in recorded history that Niagara Falls was frozen to a halt. If the world is warming, why would we see colder winters?

If you really want to know what NOAA thinks about the weather extremes the world experienced in 2014 the 180 page summary is here:

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~atw/yr/2015/BAMS_EEE_2014_Full_Report_hi_res.pdf

Your extremely simplified version of NOAAs report on it is incorrect and probably comes from skimming wattsupwiththat.com. It's not what NOAA said. 2014 was a very warm year overall.

In the big picture the seas are rising in a measurable manner and the glaciers are receding. Keep your eye on the ball and stop looking for small details pointing in different directions and suddenly things will be a little clearer.

We're not. From NOAA:

==========
Global highlights: December 2014–February 2015

During December–February, the average temperature across global land and ocean surfaces was 1.42°F (0.79°C) above the 20th century average. This was the highest for December–February in the 1880–2015 record, surpassing the previous record of 2007 by 0.05°F (0.03°C).
==========
Global highlights: December 2013-February 2014

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for December–February was the eighth highest on record for this period, at 0.57°C (1.03°F) above the 20th century average of 12.1°C (53.8°F). The Northern Hemisphere had its eighth warmest winter and the Southern Hemisphere tied with 2005 and 2013 for its sixth warmest summer in the 135-year period of record.
==========

If one were to base an opinion on weather from a 90 day observation from March to June, they would think temps are raising at an alarming rate and the world would be 1000 degrees by the end of the year. If they watch for a complete year, they would see everything return to normal.

No, they wouldn't. See above.

I believe in recycling, managing wildlife resources like tuna, and keeping chemicals out of the ground water, but we can't control the weather.

No. But as scientists point out, we can (at least to some degree) control the temperature of the planet.

No. But as scientists point out, we can (at least to some degree) control the temperature of the planet.

At some time in the future, as sea levels threaten major coastal cities, there will be pressure to attempt controlling the amount of sunlight reaching the surface. Probably though high altitude particles from aircraft. I will be long gone by then, but it appears likely.

>At some time in the future, as sea levels threaten major coastal cities, there will
>be pressure to attempt controlling the amount of sunlight reaching the surface.

Yep. I certainly wouldn't underestimate the powers of ignorance, laziness and eventual over-reaction when it comes to how people will deal with this in the future.