RMK

Everything is better with guns

normiss

******As usual, you would be wrong.:P

you take yourself way to seriously.......

As usual, you would be wrong, again.

I'll be damned

You did it again!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

jgoose71

I can't tell you how much I hope you are right. But.......

It doesn't change the fact that the UK now has a large unassimilated muslim population in it and ISIS just posted a video threatening the UK and it's prime minister.

Ah, so everyone carrying guns would help? If you think that you are deluding yourself.
During the worst times of the troubles, I don't ever remember many people, if any, being dumb enough to say "If the British population was all armed, this would never happen"

I also suggest you should visit the UK and go and see some of these muslim areas rather than relying on #foxnewsfacts. That's if you are brave enough to travel without a gun of course.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Rights are up for interpretation pretty much every day by courts in the country. It is called the judicial branch.

Are you referring to state/local courts, or federal courts?

If it's federal courts, it sounds like you've acquiesced to the current lack of respect for our Constitution that's evident in all of our government branches today.

That raises the question - what is a right? My understanding of that is it's an activity you take in your life that doesn't impact on others' lives.

Our Constitution guarantees a right to own firearms. The vast majority of gun owners can do that , and have zero impact on others lives.
We are all engines of karma

rifleman

This is just my opinion as an ex-soldier but, in an active shooter scenario, doesn't having lots of armed, gung ho civilians running around increase the likelihood of hard working and under appreciated LEO's misidentifying the suspect and shooting an innocent person because I'm damn sure the LEO isn't going to be going around asking "Are you the good guy?". He's going to demand that they drop their weapon and if they don't do it fast enough, he's going to drop them.

Yup. Actually happened locally recently. Hostage situation, one of the hostages exited the building holding a gun. Cops shot him. He's dead.

Whether or not they demanded he drop the gun, whether or not they gave him enough time to hear and react, whether or not they gave adequate aid at the scene is all being argued out and investigated.

But anyone who starts running around playing hero during any sort of Active Shooter situation is taking a huge risk. Most of the people I trust have always used the 'run, hide, fight' reaction as a good plan for civilians. Gun or no gun. And if you run, with no threat visible, don't pull the gun out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Stumpy

During the worst times of the troubles, I don't ever remember many people, if any, being dumb enough to say "If the British population was all armed, this would never happen"

Well, yes, of course they don't say that.

Britain, just like Australia, has had that course of thinking bred out of them. The appropriate thing to do is to sit back and relax and try to enjoy your attack while waiting for the proper authorities to arrive.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

It doesn't change the fact that the UK now has a large unassimilated muslim population in it and ISIS just posted a video threatening the UK and it's prime minister.

We have several bunches of right wing assholes over here who claim to have the interests of the British people at heart. Some of these hate preaching groups are the English Defense League and Britain First.

Quite recently, we had very severe flooding in several parts of the country with some towns being flooded out 3 or 4 times in as many weeks and many families losing everything including homes and businesses.

Where were the far right who claim to care about the British people?

Off on a little jolly intimidating homeless refugees in Calais while the "unassimilated" Muslims were wading through floodwater and sewage to help deliver sandbags, provide hot food and dry clothing and help out the unfortunate people of Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire, simply because it was the right thing to do.

And just for a little context and light relief:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWUjHlh7QEY
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

jgoose71

Britain, just like Australia, has had that course of thinking bred out of them. The appropriate thing to do is to sit back and relax and try to enjoy your attack while waiting for the proper authorities to arrive.

Oh jeez.
Not quite sure why I am even responding given how moronic that comment is, but lets start with you explaining to me EXACTLY how a gun would defend you against a car bomb?

tkhayes

And your gun rights be damned...

And then you wonder why people think you want to take away their guns.

tkhayes

I do not feel safer being around some idiot with a gun.

Says a guy that's surrounded by idiots operating 2-ton machines at 70+ mph on his way to a dropzone in hopes of jumping out of an airplane.

Were you aware of the gun situation in this country when you applied for permanent residency and started conducting business?

How about when going through the naturalization process?
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

rhaig

And your gun rights be damned...I do not feel safer being around some idiot with a gun.

So just to be clear... Based on the above statement you believe your rights are more important than someone else's rights.

I would say TK's right to life IS greater than your right to guns. Even if you can make an argument based on the US Constitution otherwise. But then again, no one ever guaranteed anyone the right to feel safe.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

And then you wonder why people think you want to take away their guns.

+1

I live in the NYC area. Cannot count the number of times the Daily News has shown a City Councilman holding a shotgun over the phrase "One More Automatic Gun off the streets". You can't have a conversation with someone who doesn't know the words.

I would say TK's right to life IS greater than your right to guns.

This premise is utter nonsense. How would someone's right to own a guy impact TK's right to life? Seriously, your premise is absolute nonsense. You can't even have a relevant conversation around it.

rifleman

We have several bunches of right wing assholes over here who claim to have the interests of the British people at heart. Some of these hate preaching groups are the English Defense League and Britain First.

Quite recently, we had very severe flooding in several parts of the country with some towns being flooded out 3 or 4 times in as many weeks and many families losing everything including homes and businesses.

Where were the far right who claim to care about the British people?

Off on a little jolly intimidating homeless refugees in Calais while the "unassimilated" Muslims were wading through floodwater and sewage to help deliver sandbags, provide hot food and dry clothing and help out the unfortunate people of Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire, simply because it was the right thing to do.

And just for a little context and light relief:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWUjHlh7QEY

And do you recognize this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2aByg4Gag
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Stumpy

Oh jeez.
Not quite sure why I am even responding given how moronic that comment is, but lets start with you explaining to me EXACTLY how a gun would defend you against a car bomb?

Nice Red Herring.... To bad car bombs are not the preferred method of attacking the west. They leave a lot more signatures for intelligence agencies to preempt.

jgoose71

Oh jeez.

Nice Red Herring.... To bad car bombs are not the preferred method of attacking the west. They leave a lot more signatures for intelligence agencies to preempt. Actually in the UK, car bombs have generally been EXACTLY the method of attack in terrorist incidents. Once again, how would us being armed have helped that?
Being specific to ISIS for a moment, if we go on your Trump-worthy line of thought and assume every muslim is a terrorist in waiting, how long before they work out that something isn't working and change tactic? In which case you can wave your gun around all you like - still won't help you. (Not that it ever did.)
Its all somewhat moot however given that you are killing more people in good old fashioned gun violence every month than terrorists are ever likely to get.

When was the last time a car bomb went off in a western country? (IRA excluded of course, they are not muslim...)

While there are car bombings quite frequently in places like Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan, etc, against western targets, Paris, San Bernardino, and the Sydney Cafe attacks were all shootings. You will have to show me where you get your data.

gowlerk

I would say TK's right to life IS greater than your right to guns. Even if you can make an argument based on the US Constitution otherwise. But then again, no one ever guaranteed anyone the right to feel safe.

Wendy made pretty much the same statement that I replied to here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4780367#4780367

There is no hierarchy. My right to own a gun does not interfere with anyone else's right to life. If I choose to take a life with any weapon, that is not my right and has nothing to do with someone else's right to gun ownership.

The anti-gun lobby argues that I shouldn't have the right to purchase a firearm because someone else broke the law using their firearm.

You probably hadn't gotten to that post yet (understandable on threads like these that grow quickly).

I was originally referring to his right to feel safe. Which as you point out isn't a constitutional right.
--
Rob

StreetScooby

This premise is utter nonsense. How would someone's right to own a guy impact TK's right to life? Seriously, your premise is absolute nonsense. You can't even have a relevant conversation around it.

The rate of gun death in the US is 5 times that of other western nations. That makes TK 5 times more likely to die in a firearm incident than in countries without gun totin' rights. That is the premise I am basing my comment on.

I know many and possibly most Americans are willing to pay that price. But you can't deny the price must be paid.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

StreetScooby

Well, if it were TK that he owned . . . Ya never know.

I thought owning people was taboo now.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Not that every one NEEDS to carry a gun but the right to choose to or not is important. The UK has plenty of people incarcerated for assault and murder in a country where firearm laws are very strict. Even in prison both here and in the UK inmates and staff are assaulted and murdered, again in an environment where there is no weapons.My point is that there are shit head humans on this planet that dont respect life or any thing remotely resembling respect and if they wish to do you harm or take what you have, they will find a way. Knives seem to be popular in the UK. You can beat a man to death, are you going to make bats illegal.What no more baseball! Drunk driving is one of the biggest killers in the US of innocent people, yet I dont hear any one shouting "down with breweries". And more often than not the person that dies is the innocent person NOT DUI, and the drunk survives with a head ache asking "what happened".

People that use violence, poor judgement, or let their emotions control their actions are always going to be a problem in any society. My right to CHOOSE to carry/own a firearm does not make any other citizen(TK) any more in danger than he is normally in, but if you make it illegal to own/carry a firearm you are making me and every one else easier targets/victims.

The 2nd and my choice dont affect or infringe on you or your safety, but your desire to take that away does affect my safety.I have attended firearms safety courses and am a responsible and proficient gun owner,and yes they are locked in a gun safe.

If you look back in history one of the things that has to happen for a government or governing body/military to take control of the populous is you have to disarm them. So yes many americans prefer that not to happen.