SivaGanesha

anyone know what the constraints are for voting in the Washington state caucuses/primary

Is there anyone who lived in Washington state back in 2008--I only moved here in 2010--who can help me with this:

The Washington state primary/caucus process is very confusing because this year there are both primaries and caucuses and also one doesn't register in advance as a voter for a specific party. In 2012 the only constraint was that one couldn't vote in both the Republican and Democratic caucuses. But 2012 was different from 2016 in that there was no presidential primary--just caucuses. 2016 is different because there are both caucuses and primaries.

The sequence of events is: the Republican caucuses on Feb 20, the Democratic caucuses on March 26, and the primary on May 24. But what are the constraints here? If I vote in the Republican caucuses on Feb 20 that presumably bars me from participating in the Democratic caucuses. Does it also bar me from voting for a Democrat in the primary?

Further complicating this is that it seems that the Republican caucuses may be purely a "beauty contest" whereas the primary may be purely a beauty contest on the Democratic side.

Anyways the structure of things in 2016 seems dissimilar to 2012 but fairly similar to 2008. Anyone who was around Washington in 2008--when the structure seemed similar--know how it works?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

JerryBaumchen

Hi Siva,

Hee you go: https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/election_laws.aspx

Jerry Baumchen

Thanks--this helps on the primary side (which is conducted under the auspices of the SOS) but I wasn't able to find as much information on the individual parties' websites (and it is the individual parties, not the SOS, who run the caucuses--that much I definitely know for sure from having participated in the process in WA in 2012). I'm still hoping that someone who was on the ground in WA back in 2008 can explain how these (somewhat competing) processes interact in practice. Given that the SOS has no role in running the caucuses, I don't think the complete picture can be obtained solely from the SOS website.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

JerryBaumchen

Hi Siva,

Then try here: http://www.wa-democrats.org/

And here: http://www.wsrp.org/

Jerry Baumchen

Yes I've already looked at those websites and as I explained--they don't have the information I'm looking for. The state Republican website in particular simply contains a pointer to the county Republican websites regarding the caucuses. The county website, at least in my county, simply says "More information TBA". A bit surprising given that the caucuses are only about a month away but that is nevertheless what it says. The Democratic website is only slightly more helpful.

I'm sure eventually more information will be available but as both caucuses require in person participation on a weekend--and I'm trying to make some plans in advance to manage my time--I was hoping someone who lived in WA in 2008 would be able to help.

Democrats will select delegates using just the caucus results; Republicans will select delegates using just the primary results (but both parties also have some fixed delegates). If you're a Republican and your only interest is in voting for the nomination, you can ignore the caucus. I'm not sure how much the Republican party uses the caucus to inform their platform, but if participating in that process interests you, you'll still want to attend the caucus.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

livendive

Democrats will select delegates using just the caucus results; Republicans will select delegates using just the primary results (but both parties also have some fixed delegates). If you're a Republican and your only interest is in voting for the nomination, you can ignore the caucus. I'm not sure how much the Republican party uses the caucus to inform their platform, but if participating in that process interests you, you'll still want to attend the caucus.

Thanks for the reply Dave. The question then arises whether it is possible to participate in the Democratic caucus and the Republican primary so as to have some influence on both events that matter. I know that in 2012 (when there were only caucuses no primaries) participation in either caucus required signing a form that one wouldn't participate in the other party's caucus. The open question is whether participation in one party's caucus also bars one from participation in the other party's primary--a situation that didn't exist in 2012.

The other question which comes up--although it wasn't my original question--is whether the Republican caucus, although only a "beauty contest", might still have some influence on the national race especially considering it is quite early in the game. It may not directly determine delegate count but will give some indication (and much earlier than the primary) as to which way the Republican vote in WA is leaning.

I do know (for sure) that even though it won't actually be used for determining delegate count, presidential preferences (as a beauty contest) will still be voted on in the Republican caucus.

Both parties still require participants to swear they have not and will not participate in the other party's nomination process.

As for your other question, I'm not sure. The House & Senate stalemated last year on a couple of bills that would have (among other things) moved the primary up to just a few days after the caucus, thereby minimizing any discrepancy between results. I don't think anybody opposed that part, it was the other elements they couldn't agree on. If I remember correctly, the Republicans wanted to force the Democrats to select half their delegates in the primary, and the Democrats wanted to simpy de-fund the primary and force the Republicans to use just their caucus results.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

livendive

Both parties still require participants to swear they have not and will not participate in the other party's nomination process.

Yes this is what I was looking to find out--thanks. I recall that I was asked to sign something committing to this at the caucus in 2012--but I don't remember the exact wording and I couldn't find it on either party's website. Plus additionally I believe there is some kind of a party declaration that must be signed for the primary too but I couldn't find that either on any of the websites. Because one doesn't register in advance in WA for a specific party it is a bit harder to know in WA than in some states how a 'Democrat' or 'Republican' is defined.

livendive

As for your other question, I'm not sure. The House & Senate stalemated last year on a couple of bills that would have (among other things) moved the primary up to just a few days after the caucus, thereby minimizing any discrepancy between results. I don't think anybody opposed that part, it was the other elements they couldn't agree on. If I remember correctly, the Republicans wanted to force the Democrats to select half their delegates in the primary, and the Democrats wanted to simpy de-fund the primary and force the Republicans to use just their caucus results.

As I understand it, on the GOP side the caucus process still decides who the people will be to serve as delegates but they have to pledge to vote in accordance with the primary results. Because the primary is now after the GOP state convention (by a few days) I wonder if some delegates will balk at honoring those primary results if the results are not to their liking. I could definitely see the system as it has turned out producing at least a few faithless delegates on the GOP side.