mirage62

Obama's "Non-executive order" was just grand standing?

The president's actions do not constitute an executive order; they are directives to his Cabinet departments and are considered the president's last, best hope to beef up gun laws, even if they aren't as robust as he'd like.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/tears-hugs-and-cameras-help-sell-obamas-gun-talk/ar-AAgppA7?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

There's something to be said for Obama taking a stand even if it is real late in the game, even if he could have done a lot more earlier (when he had the house and the senate) - having said that......this seems to be more to feed his base than to really do much.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Pretty much. Considering that some of it is increasing the activity of the FBI and BATF, which will require funding, a lot of it simply won't happen.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Oh yea i think it was but i don't think he realizes he just lost a bunch of rational voters.

I not a fan of republicans but one of them is getting my vote this time. taking guns restricting guns or registering so you can take them later is no an option and its a deal killer. I don;t care if you cure aids cancer and bring peace to the middle east, you can not take my right as a citizen or even limit it as it is already limited enough.

Does anyone think the parents who have lost children are the RATIONAL LOGICAL people we need to hear from? or the exact opposite
how stupid has this shit gotten?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

normiss

I don't understand why people are upset with his wanting current laws enforced and tightened.
Why do so many legal gun owners support illegal transfers of weapons?

If he wants to "enforce current law", why aren't more people prosecuted for falsifying the forms? Millions are denied when they fail the check, virtually none are prosecuted.

A lot of people don't want a paper trail that the government can follow. Not because they shouldn't have the guns, but because they are worried that that paper trail would be used to find gun owners to take away the guns. Paranoid? Maybe a bit, but ask the people who owned military style semi autos in New York City. Or California. Registered, then banned.

I know a couple guys who have an entire collection of guns that have no paper trail. All were sold new before GCA 68 went through and were never sold through an FFL dealer. That's a bit over the top for me, but they like it that way.

What do you mean "illegal transfers"?

Private party purchases are just that. A transaction between two people. Not subject to government interference, but subject to all applicable laws.

The experiences seen in California, where it's required to transfer all guns through an FFL holder are a bit disturbing. High costs (even though they aren't supposed to), holding guns "hostage", delays, all that.

And despite those laws, the shooters in San Bernadino got their rifles from a friend (although there's no indication that they wouldn't have passed a check).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

I don't understand why people are upset with his wanting current laws enforced and tightened.
Why do so many legal gun owners support illegal transfers of weapons?

Nobody is supporting illegal transfers, we are against laws that would make the legal transfer illegal ! also i am one of the people you can call paranoid who does not want a paper trail where they come later and take my guns. I really don't think its paranoia to me its being awake! and understanding everything that can possibly happen is not limited to my 39 years on the planet. In that 39 year however i have seen how they take away guns and the government goes insane. Bad for everyone even the most bleeding heart liberal.
A well armed public is a deterrent to tyranny, if you ever wondered or were worried Bush would over reach his authority? how about Cheany? the reason they keep there violation within an acceptable range is an armed public. That goes for whom ever is in power.

normiss

Indeed, "just enforce current laws, we don't need new ones" has been the rallying cry of the far right for some time now. But when Obama proposes just that, suddenly they reverse themselves.

Who is "Cheany" and when was he president?

are you old enough to know playing dumb is not cute at all???

or do you really not understand who i am talking about and what?
either way its sad and weak

Sorry, but words mean stuff.
It's hard to tell what a number of posters here are actually talking about based simply on the letters they spew, I wasn't sure if yours were any different.
Either way, one of those things was not like the others, so it seems out of place.

:D:D:D

Jesus!!!

maybe i guess...i am sorry. I am so used to people picking apart spelling when it is obvious they are just out of arguments its just weak to me.

I am talking about government overreach. When President Gorge W. Bush was in office and his Vice President Dick Cheney. When these two were in office many people were worried (mainly dems) of an extended presidency, many were worried at how far their over reach would go. My points is that an armed public keeps us all safe from government overreach something we all should want.

its not a dem or rep issue to me its an American issue. Same reason we should support the right to buy a confederate flag and display it on your land or to have a masque next to ground zero.
To me it is American to see above the emotions and not sacrifice the principles that i thought we all held dear.

My points is that an armed public keeps us all safe from government overreach something we all should want.

No, the only thing that keeps our government from overreaching is that most people working for the government believe in the rule of law. If that changes, your pea shooters aren't going to do you any good.

Same reason we should support the right to buy a confederate flag and display it on your land or to have a masque next to ground zero.
To me it is American to see above the emotions and not sacrifice the principles that i thought we all held dear.

I agree, I just don't see how requiring background checks for gun purchases infringes anyone's rights.

- Dan G

DanG

I agree, I just don't see how requiring background checks for gun purchases infringes anyone's rights.

Typically they don't. But if a background check takes 3 to 6 months and you get murdered by an ex-boyfriend waiting for the results to come back, then ya, maybe it did.....:S
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Typically they don't. But if a background check takes 3 to 6 months and you get murdered by an ex-boyfriend waiting for the results to come back, then ya, maybe it did.....

Sure, but you can't throw out the rules because sometimes they get applied poorly. Instead you work to make sure the rules are applied properly.

- Dan G

mirage62

The president's actions do not constitute an executive order; they are directives to his Cabinet departments and are considered the president's last, best hope to beef up gun laws, even if they aren't as robust as he'd like.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/tears-hugs-and-cameras-help-sell-obamas-gun-talk/ar-AAgppA7?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

There's something to be said for Obama taking a stand even if it is real late in the game, even if he could have done a lot more earlier (when he had the house and the senate) - having said that......this seems to be more to feed his base than to really do much.

Actually no. Every time Obama speaks about gun control, gun sales go through the roof and Smith&Wesson stocks sore. All I need is for him to make a couple more speeches on Gun Control and I will be able to retire in style.....:ph34r::ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

Typically they don't. But if a background check takes 3 to 6 months and you get murdered by an ex-boyfriend waiting for the results to come back, then ya, maybe it did.....:S

This is a real situation?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I was more worried about their lying to create war in order to create profits in the companies they were invested in than any sort of unconstitutional acts relating to presidential terms.

Sorry, I wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about since we were mainly discussing presidential executive orders and Cheney doesn't fit that.

I fully support your desire and right to fly any flag you want, some make it REAL easy to identify mindsets to be honest. ;)
I would not agree with a government body flying that same flag over a "house" or any kind of government building that represents us all. :P

normiss

Sorry, but words mean stuff.
It's hard to tell what a number of posters here are actually talking about based simply on the letters they spew, I wasn't sure if yours were any different.
Either way, one of those things was not like the others, so it seems out of place.

You talking about when posters here believed Palin said she could see Russia from here porch?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Darius11

its not a dem or rep issue to me its an American issue. Same reason we should (so many examples of supporting things if we personally like or if we don't like it)

^^^^^ (for the win)

I honestly believe that we've become so self centered, that legal process, and the rights of others, is something people just don't care about - as long as they get what they want. Your comment is so refreshing.

The fact that it's refreshing is sad though. It should be obvious and main stream.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rushmc

***Sorry, but words mean stuff.

You talking about when posters here believed Palin said she could see Russia from here porch?

Because words.

rushmc

***Sorry, but words mean stuff.

Wow.

I guess when you tell the same lie enough times you really do start to believe it. You're a fascinating guy, Rush.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hi Darius,

My points is that an armed public keeps us all safe from government overreach something we all should want.

Anyone who thinks the weaponery that they have at home will stop the federal gov't. probably does not understand the word capacity.

If any LEO's want to come into your house, they will do it.

Jerry Baumchen