brenthutch

Obama floods the United States with....

>It's really hard to hold an intelligent and meaningful discussion with someone
>that doesn't even know the words for the discussion.

And yet people here who can't spell "anthropogenic", don't know what albedo is, and have never seen a solar spectrum feel qualified to comment on climate change.

billvon

>It's really hard to hold an intelligent and meaningful discussion with someone

And yet people here who can't spell "anthropogenic", don't know what albedo is, and have never seen a solar spectrum feel qualified to comment on climate change.

Like Al Gore!
BTW, how is your drought going?

brenthutch

***>It's really hard to hold an intelligent and meaningful discussion with someone

Like Al Gore!
BTW, how is your drought going?

It's not a drought, not at the global warming champs new beach house.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Stumpy

Al Gore has nothing to do with anything.

Of course he does.

He invented the very medium we are communicating with.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

brenthutch

***Al Gore has nothing to do with anything.

How can you say that about the multi-award winning, Nobel laureate star of the seminal film "Inconvenient Truth"?

Why is it that when it comes to Al Gore capitalists all of a sudden don't like capitalism?

SkyDekker

******Al Gore has nothing to do with anything.

How can you say that about the multi-award winning, Nobel laureate star of the seminal film "Inconvenient Truth"?

Why is it that when it comes to Al Gore capitalists all of a sudden don't like capitalism?

Same reason those of the party of tolerance are not tolerant.

brenthutch

***Al Gore has nothing to do with anything.

Never seen it, couldn't give a f***. I do however pay attention to science and the scientific method, all of which is pretty conclusive.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

SkyDekker

He is a propagandist.

turtlespeed

*********Al Gore has nothing to do with anything.

Same reason those of the party of tolerance are not tolerant.

You mean like a guy who wants everybody to follow the law except himself.

brenthutch

He is a propagandist.

So is every business leader.

Stumpy

Never seen it, couldn't give a f***. I do however pay attention to science and the scientific method, all of which is pretty conclusive.

It is a scientific documentary.
From a review:
"These facts are stated by Al Gore in the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." Forget he ever ran for office. Consider him a concerned man speaking out on the approaching crisis. "There is no controversy about these facts," he says in the film. "Out of 925 recent articles in peer-review scientific journals about global warming, there was no disagreement. Zero."

brenthutch

It is a scientific documentary.
From a review:
"These facts are stated by Al Gore in the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." Forget he ever ran for office. Consider him a concerned man speaking out on the approaching crisis. "There is no controversy about these facts," he says in the film. "Out of 925 recent articles in peer-review scientific journals about global warming, there was no disagreement. Zero."

Ahhh - I see the problem. You don't understand what science actually is. Easy mistake to make.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

>It is a scientific documentary.

That explains many of your misconceptions about science.

To repeat an earlier post, it's really hard to hold an intelligent and meaningful discussion with someone that doesn't even know the words for the discussion.

According to Bill it is all about peer review; others seem to think it is a democracy (97% say....). I am in the R. Feynman camp -- Theory has to be validated/invalidated by observation. Ten years on, the failed predictions of the "Inconvenient Truth" lay bare the folly of the first two approaches.

>According to Bill it is all about peer review.

Science is validated by peer review.

>others seem to think it is a democracy (97% say....)

No one thinks it is a democracy. The 97% studies merely refute the deniers who claim that the science isn't settled.

>I am in the R. Feynman camp -- Theory has to be validated/invalidated by
>observation.

Hottest years on record:

Validated.

Temperature estimate from IPCC TAR: 2 to .4C per decade
Actual temperature increase: .3C per decade

Validated.

Sounds like R. Feynmann would agree with the consensus. He's too logical to stick to conspiracy theories and political denials in the face of real evidence.

billvon

>Think of those seeking stress reduction by hunting or going to the range.

Or postal employees seeking stress reduction by killing their co-workers and boss. Or right wingers seeking stress reduction by shooting up an abortion clinic.

How do we tell those very different cases apart? Perhaps we could check their mental health records to see if they are just going hunting, or are actually likely to become mass murderers.

maybe check the mental health of every person at a bar or pub to see if they intend to drive while intoxicated. Better yet remove their keys and driver's license as soon as they cross the threshold of the establishment.

billvon

Or postal employees seeking stress reduction by killing their co-workers and boss. Or right wingers seeking stress reduction by shooting up an abortion clinic.

How do we tell those very different cases apart? Perhaps we could check their mental health records to see if they are just going hunting, or are actually likely to become mass murderers.

I'm glad you are ok with this invasion of your privacy.

A slippery slope it is. Someday maybe you will realize that.
Propblast

SkyDekker

Capitalism is fine, it's morons like Al Gore who engender such distaste.

billvon

You missed the point.

People needing mental health counseling are likely to be reluctant to seek it if they know the government will hold it against them.

My experience working in the MH field tells me there is no sure way to tell who is homicidal and who is not. The patient has to tell you that they intend to harm themselves or someone else and have a plan. Or, you observe their aberrant behavior.

Of course the way around that is to have someone else buy the weapons. I know of some convicted felons whose wives own weapons.

You don't want us to hold all Muslims responsible for the terrorism created by a few radicals. By the same token, you should not want to hold all those who suffer from mental illness responsible for the few who go homicidal.

Or worse, hold law abiding NRA members responsible.

That is of course unless you think you can create a perfect world where s**t never happens. And if it does the government will protect you.

I am not in that camp, obviously. I believe in individual responsibility and be prepared to protect yourself and your family and friends.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

billvon

>According to Bill it is all about peer review.

Science is validated by peer review.

>others seem to think it is a democracy (97% say....)

No one thinks it is a democracy. The 97% studies merely refute the deniers who claim that the science isn't settled.

>I am in the R. Feynman camp -- Theory has to be validated/invalidated by
>observation.

Hottest years on record:

Validated.

Temperature estimate from IPCC TAR: 2 to .4C per decade
Actual temperature increase: .3C per decade

Validated.

Sounds like R. Feynmann would agree with the consensus. He's too logical to stick to conspiracy theories and political denials in the face of real evidence.

It is only hotter after they add in the "missing heat", the unmolested satellite data would differ.
Even if we use your numbers the models are STILL WRONG!
http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/myths/models-can-be-wrong/image/image_view_fullscreen

Keep in mind that we are in scenario "A" (business as usual) mode.
But I digress, let's talk about how Obama's rhetoric is flooding the United States with guns.