Driver1

"Affluenza" teen and mom fugitives nabbed in Mexico

Driver1

Time to throw these rich shitbags in prison. >:(

You'll get no argument from me over this. They bought his way out the first time; he needs some serious prison time now. His mom too for that matter.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Now, in a strange twist of events, Mexico is considering granting the kid asylum because the U.S. is unfairly persecuting him.

Yup, Mexico is our friend......:S

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Right, because other countries should trample over their own legal systems and do whatever the US wants whenever the US wants it done. If Mexico gives him the right to appeal against deportation then his appeal will be considered.

How jingoistic do you need to be to consider that an anti american snub?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Right, because other countries should trample over their own legal systems and do whatever the US wants whenever the US wants it done. If Mexico gives him the right to appeal against deportation then his appeal will be considered.

How jingoistic do you need to be to consider that an anti american snub?

By all means, consider away. Given the kids history and how Mexico has "deported" other Americans this just really caught me by surprise, that's all. It reeks of just wanting to slap America around, like every other country has done since Obama has been president.

That he was found with a firearm and that they are still considering asylum is what really boggles my mind. Anyone remember Andrew Tahmooressi?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Um -- I believe it's his lawyers who started the motion that led to his remaining in Mexico. They're following their own laws.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Um -- I believe it's his lawyers who started the motion that led to his remaining in Mexico. They're following their own laws.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

So what about the firearm that was found with him?

He'll end up back here, and with that charge added, I'll bet. Do you really want Mexico to ignore the law just because the subject in this case is an over-privileged douchebag?

Money talks; and in most of the world, money walks :|

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

He'll end up back here, and with that charge added, I'll bet. Do you really want Mexico to ignore the law just because the subject in this case is an over-privileged douchebag?

Money talks; and in most of the world, money walks :|

Wendy P.

Ya, you got me there. Gotta love those corrupt systems. Still kind of upsets me though when you compare Tahmooressi's treatment to this douchebag....

By all means, consider away. Given the kids history and how Mexico has "deported" other Americans this just really caught me by surprise, that's all. It reeks of just wanting to slap America around, like every other country has done since Obama has been president.

I would imagine that most Americans would rather be deported than stay in a Mexican jail and therefore don't appeal. This kid has decided to appeal. Do you have any evidence that he is being treated differently to other people who have appealed against their deportation, other than your gut feeling that everything you don't like is Obama's fault?

That he was found with a firearm and that they are still considering asylum is what really boggles my mind. Anyone remember Andrew Tahmooressi?

Yeah, Andrew Tahmooressi was held in a Mexican jail until he was deported. Where is this kid? In a Mexican jail pending deportation. I see what you mean, that is one crazy double standard!

Still kind of upsets me though when you compare Tahmooressi's treatment to this douchebag....

In what way are they being treated differently?

And what is it you want Mexico to do? Do you want them to keep him in a Mexican prison like Tahmooressi or do you want them to send him back immediately to face US justice? It seems like whichever one they do you're determined to be angry that they didn't do the other. Did a Mexican piss in your cornflakes this morning or what?

jakee

Still kind of upsets me though when you compare Tahmooressi's treatment to this douchebag....

And what is it you want Mexico to do? Do you want them to keep him in a Mexican prison like Tahmooressi or do you want them to send him back immediately to face US justice? It seems like whichever one they do you're determined to be angry that they didn't do the other. Did a Mexican piss in your cornflakes this morning or what?

Lessee..... Mexican Prison // US Justice, ... Mexican Prison // US Justice. What a terrible decision to have to make! I think it was US Justice that allowed Ethan Couch to remain (un)reasonably free after he killed 4 innocent people. He got off easy. He blew it.

I think, diplomatically, as far as the US is concerned, the main difference with the gun possession issue between this guy and Tahmooressi is that Couch is an armed, convicted fugitive who crossed an international border to escape US Justice, and Tahmooressi was not violating any US law when he made that inadvertent wrong turn, unintentionally entering Mexico. Also, only Couch's case would really be an "extradition".

As far as Mexico is concerned there is no difference. There's probably an under-the-table, "diplomatic" palm-greasing equally associated with either case. I suspect that if it were known that no "bonus money" could be made, they would ship him back to the US on top of the next chicken train passing through from Guatemala.

IMO - we should cut his resources off and just leave him down there to face Mexican gun charges/consequences. Maybe send him a bill for our search/recovery efforts and close the books. Send his momma back too. Couch was probably lying about whose gun it was anyway. (I wonder how long the Mexican government will want to house and feed him before they start making him do stuff for his existence?)

Finally... really? Puerto Vallarta? You're rich. You want to escape to Mexico to "get lost". ...and you choose Puerto Vallarta?

jakee

If he was in a Mexican Jail, I wouldn't be griping as much.....

jakee

He's in Mexico and he's behind bars. What's not to like?

Dude, catch up. He is being considered for asylum, not prison...

I've only really read the bare outlines of this case. I took the time to look more deeply today. This is truly a case of double standards in the Texas justice system. If he were black or brown or even white but poor he would be serving 10 years right now.

Although it's my feeling that juvenile offenders are often treated too harshly in the US system, they should at least be treated equally. Both his parents probably deserve punishment as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jgoose71

***He's in Mexico and he's behind bars. What's not to like?

Dude, catch up. He is being considered for asylum, not prison...

First of all, is he? Show me a story that says he has applied for asylum. Not hypothesis that he might, but that he actually has.

Second, where do you think he is right now if not locked behind bars in Mexican custody?

CBC story today:

"A Mexican court has granted fugitive Ethan Couch, 18, an injunction against his deportation, delaying his return by weeks or months, a Mexican migration official said on Thursday."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ethan-couch-return-injunction-1.3385666

It is not clear in the story if he is in detention still.

More info in a BBC story:

"Meanwhile, the Mexican authorities are reported to have moved Couch to a detention facility in the capital Mexico City."
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

A) That's not the same as asylum. The only mention of asylum I've seen is in the 'talking head lawyer contacted for comment gives hypothetical scenario' context.

B) Yeah, every story I've found that says where he is says he's in detention.

gowlerk

CBC story today:

"A Mexican court has granted fugitive Ethan Couch, 18, an injunction against his deportation, delaying his return by weeks or months, a Mexican migration official said on Thursday."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ethan-couch-return-injunction-1.3385666

It is not clear in the story if he is in detention still.

Correct, but his injunction against deportation is based on his request for asylum. Do you think he would rather spend up to 120 day in an American prison? Or however long in a Mexican prison? If he would rather stay in Mexico, I'm sure his conditions in Mexico are looking to be a little better.

Remember, had his lawyer put in a request for him to stay, otherwise he would be in the U.S. by now.