Driver1

Trump says Hillary got "schlonged"

billvon

>Trump is one of the most rude assholes I've ever seen.
>I'm continually surprised a man with so much hate even has a shot at getting
>anywhere near an election of any kind.

Well, he does have the rude, hateful asshole vote sewn up.

There is precedent!

"In 1994 Silvio Berlusconi was standing in his first election. Nobody gave him a hope in hell of winning. He was a laughing stock, promising to create a million jobs and defeat the communists and sweep away the old politics. ...

But then Berlusconi won. It was one of the most extraordinary political events of the 20th century. Even the workers of Turin voted for him. It turned into a nightmare. It won't last, everyone said. Italians will see through this plastic billionaire. The scandals will bring him down. The magistrates will sort him out. Berlusconi in government, it was said, would "vaccinate" Italians against him. Numerous other scandals, arrests, investigations and trials followed.

At first the prophets and pundits were proved right. Berlusconi was brought down by scandals and by the trade unions. But he did not go away. Italians were not vaccinated against him. The diseases he had helped to create in the 1980s – populism, individualism, short-termism – continued to dominate the political scene. More elections followed: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2008. In every single campaign, Berlusconi made himself the centre of attention. He was the issue. He was the reason for voting for or against something. He was the election. Even when he lost (only in 1996 and 2006) it was not by much, and his opponents were paralysed by their own lack of unity and principles. Meanwhile, Berlusconi allied himself with a series of regionalists, racists and fascists, many of whom were elected to important positions of power. Women in Italian politics were reduced to the whims of a patriarch who saw them as sex objects or playthings. It was horrific, and the damage it has done is immense. Berlusconi was no longer a laughing stock: it was the whole of Italy that appeared to be a sick joke. The Italian language itself took a horrible beating, as political debate turned into something akin to two drunks shouting at each other in a bar. Oratory became a thing of the distant past. Footballing terms became endemic.

Now we are in 2013. It has been 19 years since that first, hideous, hands-over-the-eyes election campaign. We have had more trials, more scandals, more endemic corruption: bunga bunga, accounting fraud, tax evasion. Yet Berlusconi is still there, and he has done it again. The campaign has been all about him: his gaffes (carefully calculated to capture media attention) and his promises (which have become more and more absurd – we are now up to 4m jobs, and taxation will be handed back to those who paid it out). Other populists took the stage in Berlusconi's shadow, hoping to emulate his successful campaigning tactics: Umberto Bossi from the Northern League, and even one of the magistrates behind the tangentopoli corruption investigations, Antonio Di Pietro. All fell by the wayside. Silvio, in the end, could out-populist everyone. In the meantime, in power, he managed only to look after his own private interests. Not one structural reform of note was passed by any Berlusconi government, although they did make savage cuts to public spending."
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/21/berlusconi-tainted-italian-politics

Driver1

Now Trump said Bill Clinton has a problem with "sexism".

Merriam-Webster (a dictionary) says;

Definition of sexism
1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Definition of sexist
: based on or showing sexism

Simple Definition of dictionary
: a reference book that contains words listed in alphabetical order and that gives information about the words' meanings, forms, pronunciations, etc.

Perhaps Mr. Trump could use one?

aphid

***Now Trump said Bill Clinton has a problem with "sexism".

Definition of sexism
1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Definition of sexist

: a reference book that contains words listed in alphabetical order and that gives information about the words' meanings, forms, pronunciations, etc.

Don't think so

But Clinton should have gotten a prison term it seems
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Well, at least David Duke (former KKK Grand Wizard) supports him, although he considers Trump a bit too extreme sometimes.

“As far as what I see, according to the candidates that are out there now, Republicans and Democrats, I think he’s head and shoulders right now above the rest. I don’t agree with everything he says, he speaks a little more, actually he speaks a little more, a lot more radically than I talk. And I think that’s a positive and negative.”

“Trump, he’s really going all out. He’s saying what no other Republicans have said, few conservatives say. [He] understands the real sentiment of America.”

aphid

*********Now Trump said Bill Clinton has a problem with "sexism".

Definition of sexism

Definition of sexist

Don't think so

As you are entitled to think.

Personally, I prefer my political candidates to enjoy a better understanding and command of the English (or French, up here) language. Equally important to me (again, up here) is that the constituency not so quickly forgive sloppiness of speech.

I'm not sure how that applies to the questionable interpretation/application of a word that I was specifically addressing.

NPR used the term years ago with no one crying about it.
Seems of little or no issue now either

As for words
There are those here (is it a world forum after all) that use the C*** word and think nothing of it
I am not one of them as I think it is one of most disgusting terms there is. Especially when aimed at women. So be it.

That said, different parts of the world and different parts of a city view words differently based on the culture they live in.

This thing with Trump is just another spun up controversy that is being used against him. It will stick to him just like all the other "trumped up" (sorry, I could not help myself) issues that have been raised. And if he drop from the top, the same bs will be used against the new top runner. It is what the left here does!

AND
Those who use sloppy language will be vilified differently based on what party they represent.

But I guess wanting to see all 54 US states is not an issue to some. Again, based on party affiliation.
Abraham Lincoln

>This thing with Trump is just another spun up controversy that is being
>used against him

Several months ago I predicted you would end up defending Trump, even though at the time you said you didn't take him seriously. Looks like that's happened.

(And that's one of the reasons he is doing well in the polls. For many far-right types, all that has to happen for them to support a candidate is that the left attacks them. "The enemy of my enemy" and all that.)

billvon

>This thing with Trump is just another spun up controversy that is being
>used against him

Several months ago I predicted you would end up defending Trump, even though at the time you said you didn't take him seriously. Looks like that's happened.

(And that's one of the reasons he is doing well in the polls. For many far-right types, all that has to happen for them to support a candidate is that the left attacks them. "The enemy of my enemy" and all that.)

I am not so much defending him per se as I am calling out the left on their bs. (This tread is a perfect example)

He still in not my pick and I still predict he will not get the nomination. That said, he could get the nomination.

If he drops from the lead I will be replying to same bs here. There will just be another name in the subject line[:/]

Oh, and good for you on your prediction
I was right too
When I predicted this crap will be thrown at whom ever the republican front runner is.
Abraham Lincoln

Who wrote this line? I do not think I did.
Abraham Lincoln

JerryBaumchen

Hi rush,

Who wrote this line?

It has been around for some time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_enemy_of_my_enemy_is_my_friend

Jerry Baumchen

I know about that specific quote
I was questioning who wrote the post that included that quote.
His post seemed to imply it was me
I do not think it was me
Abraham Lincoln

I do not think it was me

He was not quoting you. He was pointing out the predictability of your behavior. Now you are being obtuse about it. Another one of your predictable behaviors.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I do not think it was me

He was not quoting you. He was pointing out the predictability of your behavior. Now you are being obtuse about it. Another one of your predictable behaviors.

Ah

More left wing mind reading (on his part) and more left wing insults (on your part)

Sorry, I did not get his point.......

But on that note, predictability is the opposite of being hypocritical

Don't you think?
Abraham Lincoln

Don't you think?

I think changing the subject and pretending not to understand is being obtuse.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Don't you think?

I think changing the subject and pretending not to understand is being obtuse.

Well, I didn't understand

But then, I am sure (you think) you get it right all the time

And if changing the subject is being obtuse, I look forward to you calling kallend on that in every thread he posts in

Sheeesh.......
Abraham Lincoln

predictability is the opposite of being hypocritical

No, that is not correct. They are not antonyms. Hypocrites can be very predictable, and predictable people can be hypocrites.

gowlerk

predictability is the opposite of being hypocritical

No, that is not correct. They are not antonyms. Hypocrites can be very predictable, and predictable people can be hypocrites.

I guess you are right

Good examples of that in a few of the last posts in this thread
Abraham Lincoln

And if changing the subject is being obtuse, I look forward to you calling kallend on that in every thread he posts in

Kallend may sometimes change the subject, I don't know. But he never pretends not to understand, and that is the obtuse part. He generally understands you all too well.

rushmc

************Now Trump said Bill Clinton has a problem with "sexism".

Definition of sexism

Definition of sexist

Don't think so

As you are entitled to think.

Personally, I prefer my political candidates to enjoy a better understanding and command of the English (or French, up here) language. Equally important to me (again, up here) is that the constituency not so quickly forgive sloppiness of speech.

I'm not sure how that applies to the questionable interpretation/application of a word that I was specifically addressing.

NPR used the term years ago with no one crying about it.
Seems of little or no issue now either

As for words
There are those here (is it a world forum after all) that use the C*** word and think nothing of it
I am not one of them as I think it is one of most disgusting terms there is. Especially when aimed at women. So be it.

That said, different parts of the world and different parts of a city view words differently based on the culture they live in.

This thing with Trump is just another spun up controversy that is being used against him. It will stick to him just like all the other "trumped up" (sorry, I could not help myself) issues that have been raised. And if he drop from the top, the same bs will be used against the new top runner. It is what the left here does!

AND
Those who use sloppy language will be vilified differently based on what party they represent.

But I guess wanting to see all 54 US states is not an issue to some. Again, based on party affiliation.

For your edification, my entire initial post and subsequent reply were addressing the incorrect application of the word "sexism".

I apologize for apparently not being more easily understood.

As to the balance of your reply, I frankly don't give a nut about Mr. Trump*, the right or the left. How you may have come to a contrary conclusion from my post(s) such that it was even worthy of your expanded commentary escapes me.

(*Full disclosure: I do think Trump's a bombastic egotistical buffoon, but funnier than hell. Great comedy with no price for admission.)

gowlerk

Kallend may sometimes change the subject, I don't know. But he never pretends not to understand, and that is the obtuse part. He generally understands you all too well.

Ah yes

You cosider yourself really dialed in I see.

A mind reader and a bit narsosistic too...
Abraham Lincoln