normiss

This belongs here.

What is real news? All the agencies have a slant.

Everyone goes with the one that complements their thinking.

The Holy Bible is the only information source that has remained constant in my lifetime.

Compare all the news to the Bible and you can make sense of it.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

No, everyone doesn't go with the one that supports their slant. Some people seem out multiple sources for exactly that reason, and plenty of people will, in fact, quit believing something once it's shown to be fake. It takes a very hard-core sort of drank-the-koolaid hardcore supporter to not only use only one news source, but actively reject sources that discredit them.

Most of them think only they and their co-koolaid-drinkers know the real truth, and that everyone else is wrong. If they mostly hang out and communicate with people who agree with them, then it's even harder to see that the dissenting opinions might be worth investigating. Not with the purpose just of disproving them, but to understand their relationship to the real world.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

No, everyone doesn't go with the one that supports their slant. Some people seem out multiple sources for exactly that reason, and plenty of people will, in fact, quit believing something once it's shown to be fake. It takes a very hard-core sort of drank-the-koolaid hardcore supporter to not only use only one news source, but actively reject sources that discredit them.

Most of them think only they and their co-koolaid-drinkers know the real truth, and that everyone else is wrong. If they mostly hang out and communicate with people who agree with them, then it's even harder to see that the dissenting opinions might be worth investigating. Not with the purpose just of disproving them, but to understand their relationship to the real world.

Wendy P.

And who has those, you deem objective, identified? You?
Who has the real truth identified? You?

I know I can say I don't to both questions.

Most of the time I am just pointing out differing view points.
Of course those differ toward the view points I tend to agree with as Ron said.
It is the same for you.
And for this I get called all kinds of names:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You've made it quite clear that you are not the least bit interested in reality. You have chosen what to believe and will stick to it no matter what. That is what your version of faith is. Other people also make choices what to believe, you are not alone in this. But most people make their choices from a broader perspective.

The article is not about organizations that slant the news. It's about web pages that make up things, and how debunking falsehoods is complicated by the fact that merely speaking of them lends them more credence.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the world today, and no one can truly keep up with "reality". So we all take short cuts and focus on what holds our attention for whatever reason. Charlatans are out there taking advantage of this. Sometimes to advance an agenda, and sometimes merely to profit by selling advertising. Our world will benefit if more people are aware of this and take more time to double check stories before believing them.

Your question to Wendy about knowing the real world? Who could answer that? Maybe you could say yes, but that only shows your weakness. Just because you think you understand something unknowable does not mean that you do. It only means you have managed to convince yourself. That is the inherent weakness of faith.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

You are probably not old enough to remember this but, in the early '70s there was a book Remember Be Here Now.

We used the concept in graduate school. The only place that is real is here, and the only time that is real is now.

Everything else is stored in your memory or in your fantasy. We search others to find agreement and thus complement our mental construct.

Sociology teaches mores, folkways, customs and traditions. They are only real if you inhabit that sociological environment.

Everybody makes a choice and takes a chance. I believe in the evidence of my choice. You and the others probably believe in the evidence of your choice.

In the end we will all know truth. I'm staking my life on my choice. Jesus Christ is the answer.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

wmw999

Wendy P.

You're being rational, reasonable and objective.

Stop it. That is not appropriate behavior here. :P

Some people simply refuse to believe anything that goes against what they believe. The so-called debate between Bill Nye & Ken Ham was a good example of this. When asked what would change their minds, Nye said "evidence." Ham said "nothing."

I was taught healthy skepticism and critical thinking. That means I look at a story with an open mind, and compare and contrast different versions of that story (including ones that say "that simply isn't true"), and consider the source and their biases and motives.

But unfortunately, there's a lot of stupid people out there. People who seem to think that something is true simply because they want it to be.

The fundamentalist Christian denial of evolution is a good example of this.

The scariest part is that some of those people are leaders and policy makers. The link above quotes a US Congress critter.

Almost as scary is that those people vote.

This sums it up well:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

― Isaac Asimov

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"The Holy Bible is the only information source that has remained constant in my lifetime. "

If you've been reading the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, that would be true. If you only read the King James translation, that would be true. Actually though, there have been some revisions and re-interpretations in your lifetime. The following link discusses one of several examples, if you're interested.
https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-International-Version-NIV-Bible/
You don't have to outrun the bear.

RonD1120

Satan's greatest lie is making you believe he doesn't exist.

Does even the Bible say anything about Satan doing that? Or is that just another trite saying?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***Satan's greatest lie is making you believe he doesn't exist.

Does even the Bible say anything about Satan doing that? Or is that just another trite saying?

I think he's being funny - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSL3hY5iPE :)
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Ron,

You are probably not old enough

It seems to me that you should have actually learned something after you last tried that insult.

Hmmmmm,

Jerry Baumchen
Friend of J. Scott Hamilton

Insult? Why would you think that is an insult?

Since it was aimed at me I'll just say I was not insulted, and I don't think it was an attempt at an insult. Perhaps you used an age reference in an earlier thread that Jerry remembers? BTW I am almost old enough to be aware of that book. I was born in '57.

gowlerk

Since it was aimed at me I'll just say I was not insulted, and I don't think it was an attempt at an insult. Perhaps you used an age reference in an earlier thread that Jerry remembers? BTW I am almost old enough to be aware of that book. I was born in '57.

Thanks for clarifying that for Jerry. It was our conversation after all.

The phrase was common in my family. I've heard it all my life, well not so much anymore, from older uncles and such.

Bertt

"The Holy Bible is the only information source that has remained constant in my lifetime. "

If you've been reading the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, that would be true. If you only read the King James translation, that would be true. Actually though, there have been some revisions and re-interpretations in your lifetime. The following link discusses one of several examples, if you're interested.

I agree, however, in all the English versions I have studied the message of Christ, His crucifixion and His resurrection remain the same.

Jesus Christ is the Son of God and man. He died as a propitiation for the sin of all mankind. He was/is the perfect atonement. He was resurrected and provides the path for eternal life.

I am not saved by believing— I simply realize I am saved by believing. And it is not repentance that saves me— repentance is only the sign that I realize what God has done through Christ Jesus. The danger here is putting the emphasis on the effect, instead of on the cause. Is it my obedience, consecration, and dedication that make me right with God? It is never that! I am made right with God because, prior to all of that, Christ died. When I turn to God and by belief accept what God reveals, the miraculous atonement by the Cross of Christ instantly places me into a right relationship with God. And as a result of the supernatural miracle of God’s grace I stand justified, not because I am sorry for my sin, or because I have repented, but because of what Jesus has done. The Spirit of God brings justification with a shattering, radiant light, and I know that I am saved, even though I don’t know how it was accomplished.
The salvation that comes from God is not based on human logic, but on the sacrificial death of Jesus. We can be born again solely because of the atonement of our Lord. Sinful men and women can be changed into new creations, not through their repentance or their belief, but through the wonderful work of God in Christ Jesus which preceded all of our experience (see 2 Corinthians 5:17-19). The unconquerable safety of justification and sanctification is God Himself. We do not have to accomplish these things ourselves— they have been accomplished through the atonement of the Cross of Christ. The supernatural becomes natural to us through the miracle of God, and there is the realization of what Jesus Christ has already done— “It is finished!” (John 19:30). ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

RonD1120

***"The Holy Bible is the only information source that has remained constant in my lifetime. "

I agree, however, in all the English versions I have studied the message of Christ, His crucifixion and His resurrection remain the same.

Jesus Christ is the Son of God and man. He died as a propitiation for the sin of all mankind. He was/is the perfect atonement. He was resurrected and provides the path for eternal life.

I am not saved by believing— I simply realize I am saved by believing. And it is not repentance that saves me— repentance is only the sign that I realize what God has done through Christ Jesus. The danger here is putting the emphasis on the effect, instead of on the cause. Is it my obedience, consecration, and dedication that make me right with God? It is never that! I am made right with God because, prior to all of that, Christ died. When I turn to God and by belief accept what God reveals, the miraculous atonement by the Cross of Christ instantly places me into a right relationship with God. And as a result of the supernatural miracle of God’s grace I stand justified, not because I am sorry for my sin, or because I have repented, but because of what Jesus has done. The Spirit of God brings justification with a shattering, radiant light, and I know that I am saved, even though I don’t know how it was accomplished.
The salvation that comes from God is not based on human logic, but on the sacrificial death of Jesus. We can be born again solely because of the atonement of our Lord. Sinful men and women can be changed into new creations, not through their repentance or their belief, but through the wonderful work of God in Christ Jesus which preceded all of our experience (see 2 Corinthians 5:17-19). The unconquerable safety of justification and sanctification is God Himself. We do not have to accomplish these things ourselves— they have been accomplished through the atonement of the Cross of Christ. The supernatural becomes natural to us through the miracle of God, and there is the realization of what Jesus Christ has already done— “It is finished!” (John 19:30). ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

How many books are there and how many were allowed to be in the bible?
How many were disallowed?

Where is the testament of Mary Magdalene?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

There are 66 books in the Bible, 44 authors and written over a period of 1500 years. Scripture is proven by scripture.

The Books of the Apocrypha are recognized by the Roman Catholic church, I think. I do not know for certain how many there are.

RonD1120

There are 66 books in the Bible, 44 authors and written over a period of 1500 years. Scripture is proven by scripture.

The Books of the Apocrypha are recognized by the Roman Catholic church, I think. I do not know for certain how many there are.

And who compiled these in the order they are in now?

What about the other scrolls found?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

RonD1120

... Scripture is proven by scripture...

Right. Sure it is.

And there is a lot more to the NT than we know. Generally accepted is that there was a "book" for each disciple.

But the early church decided that it was too complicated, so chopped it to 4 (there were 4 compass headings and "4 elements").

You are certainly entitled to your beliefs, but to claim the Bible as historical fact is ridiculous.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo