winsor

Ban Oldsmobiles!

The woman who just ran down people in Las Vegas brought to mind a case some years back where someone on a Mission from God (tm) ran down pedestrians in a heavily gay area in New York.

A quick search of the interwebs showed rather a few cases where pedestrians were mown down by people in Oldsmobiles.

It seems perfectly reasonable that these vehicles of mass destruction should be kept out of the hands of those who would use them for nefarious purposes.

Think of the children.

No, we should encourage automobiles as substitute weapons. She only managed to kill one of her victims, far less effective than a berserk woman with firearms could do.

But I am surprised that no one called for a ban on airliners in the wake of 9/11.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

But I am surprised that no one called for a ban on airliners in the wake of 9/11.

MEH

That would just as stupid as calling for a gun ban
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

I don't see anyone complaining about now having to register their toys with the government, but anything with deadly uses, nah, just enjoy them as you will.

The real problem you really don't see.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-08-23/drone-rule-uproar-shows-hurdles-to-u-s-commercial-rules

Many more stories out there if you care to look

But then again
Owning a drone or UAV is not a right
Nor is a car.......
Abraham Lincoln

[sarcasm]

Let's face it, Nevada is an "open driving" state, where most anyone can drive a car in public. Many in the US do want to drive cars around.

People think that if you have a car, it will make you safer when a criminal shows up with a car. Maybe so.

Yet nobody else with a car rammed the woman's car before she plowed into pedestrians. So much for what car drivers keep claiming, that "we'll all be safer when people have more cars to defend us against crazies with cars".

I think statistics will show that simply having a car is not enough -- only professional driver training will equip someone to react properly and use a car in a life or death situation.

I support licensing and registration of cars. I acknowledge that some country folks have a dozen of them out back and it would seem like city folks, who may not see much need to own a car, are imposing needless regulation on them.

Someone will likely blame the victims in this tragedy too.
If the victims weren't all pinko liberal tree-hugging pedestrians who live in their own fantasy world, and had armed themselves with a couple tons of car around them, they wouldn't have been nearly as likely to have been killed or injured, would they?!

People have to take responsibility for their own lives!

[/sarcasm]

normiss

Well they stopped manufacturing them over 10 years ago, so we should be safer.
Unless there are undocumented transfers of them between 2 private parties.
But now that would be illegal so .....
;)

I guess Oldsmobile registration didn't work, now it's time for confiscation.....:ph34r:

and

They can have my Olds when the pry the steering wheel out of my cold dead hands!!!!!!:P
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Considering the Oldsmobile owners' general perceived demographics, those cold dead hands might come sooner rather than later. :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Considering the Oldsmobile owners' general perceived demographics, those cold dead hands might come sooner rather than later. :P

Wendy P.

Geez Wendy,

I never figured that you of all people would post something that would be so insensitive to the "youthfully challenged." Least you could do is give a "trigger warning" first.......:P
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Not all cars (or should I say vehicles) are equal. On my commute to work just this last Friday morning, it was snowing, the roads were icy, it was dark and I live on a hill so the road at the bottom of the hill was rather slick. I come to an intersection with a yield sign but no stop sign wanting to make a right handed turn and there is already a vehicle in the intersection, so I yielded. But there was a mini-van following me and I hear this horn honk a split second before I feel the impact of the mini-van rear ending me.

Remember, not all vehicles are equal. :o

I get out of the vehicle look at my rear bumper and then I look at the mini-van. What was the damage? LOL ... I have a few scuff marks on my rear bumper (just looks like dirt, the paint is not even scratched). But other than that I am completely undamaged while the mini-van's front right bumper and headlight are completely destroyed. You see I drive a Jeep Wrangler with after market solid steel AEV bumpers. I kind of felt sorry for the dude (well maybe not, he is the dumb ass who drives a mini-van). I looked at him and said "I am not mad at you, I understand the road is very icy, I am sure you did not want to hit me. But I see no reason to bring my insurance company into this since I am not damaged at all" and that's it I continue on my way to work. I heard stories from other Jeepers with their solid steel bumpers and now I can be added to the list of folks who got into fender benders with little to no damage at all.

But yeah I am sure some progressive will be calling for my Jeep to be banned. Not only do my solid steel bumpers make mince meat out of any thing it tangles with, but when the bodies are piling up on the sidewalk, I can always drop it into 4 low, disengage my front sway bar and turn on my front and rear lockers taking the term "Extreme Offroading" to the max. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I looked at him and said "I am not mad at you, I understand the road is very icy, I am sure you did not want to hit me. But I see no reason to bring my insurance company into this since I am not damaged at all" and that's it I continue on my way to work.

I believe that under Alberta's provincial legislation that is considered a hit and run. There is a requirement to provide information. Sometimes that is tied to a minimum damage amount. With the cost of repairs, that minimum is often quickly reached.

For your sake I hope he didn't get a chance to take down your license plate.

I suggest reading Section 69 of the Traffic Safety Act.

SkyDekker

I looked at him and said "I am not mad at you, I understand the road is very icy, I am sure you did not want to hit me. But I see no reason to bring my insurance company into this since I am not damaged at all" and that's it I continue on my way to work.

I believe that under Alberta's provincial legislation that is considered a hit and run. There is a requirement to provide information. Sometimes that is tied to a minimum damage amount. With the cost of repairs, that minimum is often quickly reached.

He hit no one
The mini van hit him
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

He hit no one
The mini van hit him

Thank you for demonstrating you can read, but that doesn't change anything. He was involved in an accident, he has an obligation to provide information under Alberta's provincial legislation.

SkyDekker

He hit no one
The mini van hit him

Thank you for demonstrating you can read, but that doesn't change anything. He was involved in an accident, he has an obligation to provide information under Alberta's provincial legislation.

Different here in the US

And I don't have to be an ass to have a converstation
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

He hit no one
The mini van hit him

Dekker is correct - if someone is "INVOLVED" in an accident, most states have a minimum damage amount that requires you report it, or even wait and get an accident report written up.

The numbers for my state are like $1500 or $2500 or so, I don't recall the exact amount. But that's pretty much repair cost for almost any visible damage nowadays.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***He hit no one
The mini van hit him

Dekker is correct - if someone is "INVOLVED" in an accident, most states have a minimum damage amount that requires you report it, or even wait and get an accident report written up.

The numbers for my state are like $1500 or $2500 or so, I don't recall the exact amount. But that's pretty much repair cost for almost any visible damage nowadays.

But it does not need to be reported on site
and if both drivers talk (but do not exchange info) it is not classified as a hit and run
Abraham Lincoln

rehmwa

***He hit no one
The mini van hit him

^This. It would be considered "leaving the scene of an accident."

UNLESS...

The driver of the mini van said something like:

"Wow, that's really nice of you. I'm sorry I hit you, but I'm really happy I didn't damage your car and that you are so understanding. Have a nice day."

In which case, both drivers agreed to not pursue any action.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

******He hit no one
The mini van hit him

^This. It would be considered "leaving the scene of an accident."

UNLESS...

The driver of the mini van said something like:

"Wow, that's really nice of you. I'm sorry I hit you, but I'm really happy I didn't damage your car and that you are so understanding. Have a nice day."

Word for word it didn't go down quite like this. But what you wrote wasn't that far off. The dude in the mini-van understood that he was in the wrong, and at one point he did ask me if I was okay. Once I assured him that I was not hurt and that I was not going to be making a claim, we parted ways. I have nothing to hide. I am licensed and insured and despite what some may claim. This was not a hit and run. Both drivers stopped to access the incident.

BTW: it's hard to say for sure how fast he was going when he collided with me, but I'd estimate he was only going about 10 maybe 15 km/h. That is 6-10 mph for all you imperial folk.

CanuckInUSA

Word for word it didn't go down quite like this. But what you wrote wasn't that far off. The dude in the mini-van understood that he was in the wrong, and at one point he did ask me if I was okay. Once I assured him that I was not hurt and that I was not going to be making a claim, we parted ways. I have nothing to hide. I am licensed and insured and despite what some may claim. This was not a hit and run. Both drivers stopped to access the incident.

BTW: it's hard to say for sure how fast he was going when he collided with me, but I'd estimate he was only going about 10 maybe 15 km/h. That is 6-10 mph for all you imperial folk.

I believe it, and understand why you both chose as you did. Just saying

1 - whether someone takes blame or not, it still has to be reported if damages greater than $X dollars. So trading info is a good idea regardless. Because under at least my state's law, it still had to be reported. Maybe later, but still.

2 - because of number 1 above there the incident would be on record eventually if either party decides to report it as a good little citizen. So it's a good idea for you both to take that info and a couple pictures anyway. Because as nice as he is at the scene, he could do a complete 180 on you and turn it into a he said/she said.

3 - Ditto for him, because after the fact, you could also have turned around and claimed whiplash or the like.

With that, I admire the trust you showed in the other guy. And this time you both acted honorably about it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

With that, I admire the trust you showed in the other guy. And this time you both acted honorably about it.

Hopefully that remains the case. He could find out there is really $6,000 of damage and goes to a reporting centre anyways, claiming that some idiot in a wrangler decided to back up right into him and drove off.

You folks are missing the whole point of my original post. Just to remind you:

when the bodies are piling up on the sidewalk, I can always drop it into 4 low, disengage my front sway bar and turn on my front and rear lockers

Could I high center it on all those stacked bodies on the side walk? It's possible I guess. But that would be driver error. It's all about tire placement. :P

Hi joe,

Based upon a personal incident 12-13 yrs ago, I would caution against even this.

I was driving very, very slowly through a mall parking lot when a fellow backed out of a parking spot & t-boned my pickeup.

I stopped and we talked. He said that he did not want to report it to the state DMV but would have his insurance company take care of the damages. We exchanged info, his insurance company paid and all was good.

Until about three months later, when I received a letter from the state DMV that my license had been suspended for failure to report an accident. I contacted them, they really only wanted to make sure that I was insured at the time. It seems as though the other guy ( for some strange reason to me ) did report it to the state DMV; and since I did not, they came calling.

Jerry Baumchen