ryoder

Shkreli, CEO Reviled for Drug Price Gouging, Arrested on Securities Fraud Charges

ryoder

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-martin-shkreli-securities-fraud/

I love waking up to a heart-warming story on the clock-radio.B|

Clock radio?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ya know, I don't often say stuff like this, but the world would be a better place if he were to die and leave his stuff in a mess. Or leave it to his parents, or his pet dog, or just about anyone.

What a massive waste of talent and ambition.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

What a massive waste of talent and ambition.

Read this article and see if you want to retract that: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-martin-shkreli-was-one-terrible-investor-20151217-column.html

Some gems:

" According to the SEC, he took in $660,000 from investors starting in November 2009; by November 2010, $331 was left. "
"He took in another $2.35 million in investments in December 2010 and January 2011, the SEC says, including $1.25 million from a single investor. By the end of January, half the money was gone, and by the end of February it was all gone and MSMB was in the red. This was during a period in which the S&P 500 index gained nearly 9%."
"Shkreli shorted 32 million shares of Orexigen on Feb. 1, 2011, when it was trading about $2.50 per share."
"But what was curious about this trade was that Orexigen shares had just taken a huge hit, falling from $9.09 the day before, when the Food and Drug Administration had issued a report questioning the obesity drug's cardiovascular safety. Shkreli, in other words, shorted at the low. Orexigen bounced back, gaining more than 50% from its lows over the next few days and ending the month up more than 30% from where Shkreli had shorted. Because short-trades lose money when the stock rises, Shkreli's trade was blown to smithereens."
"Worse, according to the SEC, Shkreli had misrepresented to Merrill Lynch that he had "located" the shares to short. (Technically, short-sellers are supposed to borrow shares that they're selling; in practice, they need not have these share in hand, only to know where they can borrow them if they have to. Shkreli said he'd done the "locate," but Merrill Lynch found that he hadn't, the SEC says.) In the event, Merrill Lynch had to cover Shkreli's short itself, allegedly at a $7-million loss, which it was trying to get back from Shkreli."

In other words, he has no talent;
He is just a two-bit con-artist.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Reading what he has in the past said about himself and his belligerent responses to criticisms, he bears a remarkable similarity to that current newsmaker with the bad toupee...

aphid

Reading what he has in the past said about himself and his belligerent responses to criticisms, he bears a remarkable similarity to that current newsmaker with the bad toupee...

Funny you say that -- I said to my wife the other day that he will likely be a GOP presidential candidate in a decade or so.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Apparently he's massively intelligent and able to grasp things; plenty of people who knew him in school and early jobs say so. Unfortunately it's combined with a complete lack of interest in serving anything but his own momentary perceived self-interest, combined with a near-adolescent maturity level.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here is an article about Shkreli from April 2014. Interestingly, he was just plain lucky in another fraudulent trade back in 2007, in which Lehman Brothers went belly-up before they collect from him (from the 2nd page of the article):

After four years at Cramer Berkowitz, he moved on to jobs at UBS (UBS) and Intrepid Capital Management before starting his own hedge fund in 2006. Elea Capital Management, by his own description, wasn’t terribly successful. In 2007, Lehman Brothers sued Elea in New York state court for failing to cover a “put option transaction” in which Shkreli bet the wrong way on a broad market decline. When stocks rose, Shkreli didn’t have the funds to make the bank whole. In October 2007, Lehman won a $2.3 million default judgment against Shkreli and Elea. The following year, however, Lehman imploded. No one ever demanded the $2.3 million, Shkreli says, adding, “I would make them whole now if they wanted.”

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-04-17/retrophins-martin-shkreli-the-biotech-short-seller-who-went-long
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There are people who consider money to be a dick magnifier. I'd say that having money has magnified Shkreli's ability to be a dick, and to have it be publicized.

Wendy P.

After yesterday's stunts, I expect either:
a) The gov't goes after him with guns blazing.
b) Trump picks him as his running mate.

What were the laws he was breaking?

if none, then it's just him being an asshole and the committee is wasting our money - his competition will crush him in the market without congress's help

if some, then charge him and try him and jail him

either way, what's the point of the circus? just so some congressmen can put on a show of outrage for the public while they do even worse levels of economic rape to the taxpayers?

bread and circuses

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I didn't watch the hearing, but the only legit reason I could see for a Congressional hearing like this is to allow Congress to identify loopholes in the current laws that need to be closed, or problems with current laws that prevent the market from working properly.

I very much doubt that was the purpose of the hearing.

- Dan G

>I very much doubt that was the purpose of the hearing.

The purpose of the hearing was to give congressional types an answer when someone asks "what are you doing to that scumbag Shkreli? He's a bad bad man!" Expect a lot of strongly worded statements about him.

Coming up next - look for campaign managers to start searching for any connection between Shkreli and any presidential candidate, so they can taint by association. Also look for drug companies to make statements about how they are nothing like him.

I absolutely agree with the two posts (DanG and BV) above this one. nicely stated too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants