jgoose71

Obama's call to repeal "Due Process"

Well.... it's like this. Either you store your weapon properly, leaving you vulnerable to the criminal getting the drop on you. Or you leave it readily accessible and your toddler kills his baby sister with it. In which case you will be busy making the funeral arrangements instead of being on guard.

What's a good family protector to do?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I don't think it's the lack of guns that makes Canada the place it is.

Canada ranks something like 12th in the world in terms of per capita firearms ownership. There are actually a lot of legally acquired firearms here. Don't believe the BS telling you otherwise.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Well.... it's like this. Either you store your weapon properly, leaving you vulnerable to the criminal getting the drop on you. Or you leave it readily accessible and your toddler kills his baby sister with it. In which case you will be busy making the funeral arrangements instead of being on guard.

Nonsense. I have never seen either scenario acted out in the sort of action movies that many gun enthusiasts base their decisions on.

SkyDekker

***My North Dakota relatives would say the cold keeps the riff raff out... Think that could be a factor?

Maybe, but Toronto is well south of North Dakota......

I'm straight north of ND. Most of our street guns come courtesy of smuggling from the good ol' USA. Thanks guys. Every so often an American traveler thinks those signs at the border about declaring firearms doesn't apply to him. They usually get out of jail in less than a week with a big fine and confiscated weapons.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

CanuckInUSA

I don't think it's the lack of guns that makes Canada the place it is.

Canada ranks something like 12th in the world in terms of per capita firearms ownership. There are actually a lot of legally acquired firearms here. Don't believe the BS telling you otherwise.

Who is saying there aren't?

There are two key differences:

Hand guns are significantly harder to acquire than in the US.
There are severe restrictions on how firearms are to be stowed and transported. There is no right to carry.

normiss

Gotta feel it for all the liberal pussies getting murdered in the mass shootings.
Where are you great defenders when those events go down anyway?

Generally taking cover or running away. Wishing that they hadn't been forced to leave their gun locked in their car. How many of the recent shootings took place in a location that was "posted prohibited"?

Or, when an armed individual does stop an attacker before the body count gets very high, it doesn't make the news.

After Sandy Hook, Mother Jones claimed that "Armed Civilians Never Stopped a Mass Shooting." The Weekly Standard looked into it and found a number of cases where shootings were stopped before they reached the criteria to be considered a "mass shooting."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/is-it-true-armed-civilians-have-never-stopped-a-mass-shooting/article/690808
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hand guns are significantly harder to acquire than in the US.
There are severe restrictions on how firearms are to be stowed and transported. There is no right to carry.

I am well aware of Bill C-68, the actual firearms law in the country as I have been through the training process. Oh and I believe firearms training is a good thing, something that perhaps more Americans should consider. So yes there is no right to carry here. But that does not stop the street thugs from carrying and yet it is the legal firearms owners the Progs go after while they ignore the criminals. :P

gowlerk

What's a good family protector to do?

Dude, if you think those are the only choices available, it's probably best you never own a firearm and just wait for the police.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I'm straight north of ND. Most of our street guns come courtesy of smuggling from the good ol' USA. Thanks guys. Every so often an American traveler thinks those signs at the border about declaring firearms doesn't apply to him. They usually get out of jail in less than a week with a big fine and confiscated weapons.

Never heard of them going to jail. Did you make this up? Care to cite some cases where people are being jailed. If the armed Yank insists on entering the country, then yeah confiscation can occur. But in most cases they are just turned away or in a few rare cases they were given a slap on the wrist and still permitted entry with their firearms. You do know that Canada does allow Americans entry into the country to hunt don't you? Of course prior arraignments should be made. It's a bad idea to just show up at the border assuming you can bring your firearms in unasked. Different country, different laws. But just to show not everyone is playing with a full deck on both sides of the border. There has been cases where Canuckleheads show up at the American border with their drugs and/or drug paraphernalia thinking "hey I can bring them into the USA". Stupid is as stupid does regardless on what side of the border they originate on.

If they fail to declare, they are smuggling weapons and are locked up. They key sentence in my post was "thinks those signs at the border about declaring firearms doesn't apply to him"

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=822719

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/screw-canada-arrest-of-gun-toting-american-at-canadian-border-enrages-u-s-firearms-community

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/371882/Florida_man_tries_to_enter_Canada_with_loaded_handgun

All firearms and weapons must be declared to a border services officer when you enter Canada. Failure to do so could result in them being seized, and you may face criminal charges. In addition, border services officers have the authority to seize the vehicles used to unlawfully import goods, including firearms and weapons. The vehicles may be released on payment of a penalty – a single, prohibited weapon may incur a $1,000 penalty.

It's never a good idea to lie to the border agents when they ask you a question and you lie to them. If you are searched and found to have what you said you did not have, then yeah you deserve to have the book thrown at you. Your original post made it sound like everyone was being thrown in jail. Let's just leave it at that. Contrary to what you may think, I don't approve smuggling.

Hi joe,

Or, when an armed individual does stop an attacker before the body count gets very high, it doesn't make the news.

I admit to being somewhat ignorant of these types of incidents. Are there many?

The one that I know of, he never even drew his weapon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackamas_Town_Center_shooting

The Wiki link does say: "During that time, Nick Meli, a concealed carry permit holder, drew his Glock 22, claimed to have taken aim at Roberts, but did not fire since there was a bystander behind Roberts. Meli claims that Roberts saw him and that this may have contributed to Roberts' decision to commit suicide."

I believe that this is in error. While being interviewed by the local news stations Mr. Meli said that he never did draw his weapon. I did watch a number of his various tv station interviews.

I think he just s*** his pants and went looking for a bathroom once things quieted down.

Jerry Baumchen

jgoose71

When you look at crimes stopped with guns, depending on the study you look at you get numbers between 700,000 to 4.5 million a year. This is hard to verify because the numbers are taken from a sampling and not very many people report an "almost crime."

However, a good number of the amount of women deter rapist with a gun is around 200,000 a year.

Do you have supporting information for these claims? 200,000 more rapes per year if not deterred by armed women in the USA? Holy crap...

JerryBaumchen

I admit to being somewhat ignorant of these types of incidents. Are there many?...

...I believe that this is in error. While being interviewed by the local news stations Mr. Meli said that he never did draw his weapon. I did watch a number of his various tv station interviews.

I think he just s*** his pants and went looking for a bathroom once things quieted down.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

Nobody knows exactly how many there are. It's not something that stats are kept on. At least not "how many were stopped by someone with a gun" vs "how many ended when the cops showed up" or "how many were stopped when the shooter killed himself."

As far as other "defensive gun uses" (DGUs), there are (again) no accurate stats. In part, as was pointed out above, because many of them don't get reported. As in, someone is at a gas station, is approached by someone (or a group) and when threatened, the citizen pulls out a gun and scares the assailant(s) off. Not wanting a hassle, the citizen puts his gun away, finishes fueling and drives off.

There have been a variety of estimates of these sorts of things. Numbers run the gamut from "tens of thousands" per year up into the millions.

The NRA magazine publishes a page of DGUs every month, in a column called "The Armed Citizen." Short, one paragraph or so, articles taken from newspapers across the country. Usually a dozen or so per month.

And I wouldn't blame Meli a bit for needing to change his pants.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

SkyDekker

Numbers run the gamut from "tens of thousands" per year up into the millions.

Which would make your society almost more violent than Somalia. Hard to believe that by just crossing the border into Canada these things barely happen.

To fuggin cold there to do anything but hope that the state welfare is enough.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Numbers run the gamut from "tens of thousands" per year up into the millions.

Which would make your society almost more violent than Somalia. Hard to believe that by just crossing the border into Canada these things barely happen.

To fuggin cold there to do anything but hope that the state welfare is enough.

Yup we are all on welfare up here.....