ryoder

Justice Scalia Thinks Black Students Belong In 'Slower-Track' Schools

wmw999

I don't think slower-track schools are the answer; they're clearly for people with lesser goals. However, having schools with different goals is entirely appropriate; vo-tech schools, art schools, even things like Jr. Achievement used to do, with students doing internships/apprenticeships in community jobs.

Have each track have a positive goal -- i.e. not "you couldn't get into the top school, but try anyway," instead something like "if you want to graduate from high school and end up working shortly thereafter, this might be a better choice of school/classes. We have that now, but it sure seems like there's a gap between the jobs that people are advertising, even in the trades, and being a high school graduate.

Some unions used to do apprenticeships. Just sayin'

Wendy P.

Nope. College is the only option now. The FLOTUS has spoken, err rapped.
http://youtu.be/_1yAOK0nSb0
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

normiss

Major difference.
On-line degrees are almost a joke.

so....it's all a joke, one big joke

here is a documentary of a real modern classroom, I don't know if Michael Moore did it, or perhaps some new age group, or if any ducks were abused or disrespected during the filming. (I know, I already posted it elsewhere). Perhaps you'd see the pilot program in Kallend's class, I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

here's another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-HJT8_esM

and there's another where they mock both typical Left and Right wing opinion shows that's just a bit to close to reality for comfort

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***Major difference.

here is a documentary of a real modern classroom, I don't know if Michael Moore did it, or perhaps some new age group, or if any ducks were abused or disrespected during the filming. (I know, I already posted it elsewhere). Perhaps you'd see the pilot program in Kallend's class, I don't know.

Since you have such a high regard for my class, maybe you'd like to try your hand at my final exam, see how you get on.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's been a long time I'd totally fail if I tried right now without preparation. Nice one though. No worries that your students will get a copy of it?

anyway - here goes

1 - Ekwality
2 - gender equality
3 - tolerance
4 - 7.32 picoJoules per Newton meter
5 - social justice
6 - white privilege

(Actually, I think it would have been a real privilege to have taken your class back when - but it's less fun to say that and ruin a good Speaker's Corner thread)

Edit: I actually read the quiz - I have team members that live this stuff. Guys and girls - school really does have real world applications......

I absolutely love that you provided Avogadro’s constant to students in a 400/500 level class....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We sometimes had finals that were listed as open book/open notes, with the notation "and it won't help!":D

I could always hear a bwahaha in the background...

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

kallend

******Major difference.

Since you have such a high regard for my class, maybe you'd like to try your hand at my final exam, see how you get on.

1:10 :P
http://youtu.be/gvXcuGrd1RM
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

*********Major difference.

1:10 :P
http://youtu.be/gvXcuGrd1RM

I did really well.

I contacted his students and sold them the exam.

Took in quite a it. This is going to be a good Christmas.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Bolas

***Funding formulas that are based on local school taxes ensure that schools in wealthy neighborhoods have lots of resources, and schools in poorer neighborhoods have to make do with much less, including out of date textbooks, lack of computer resources, and inability to afford classes such as art and music that enhance the educational experience and encourage kids to stay in school.

Don

Funding can't make up for lack of positive parental involvement, which is the larger issue.

Correct! I'm a perfect example of this. I went to the smallest public school in the state of NJ. High percentage of poor students on free lunch program and everything. I want to say our school was probably at least 50% african american. I was poor, went to a small poor school, had the same bum programs that everybody else had, but I had great parental involvement. I had to work twice as hard when I got to college, taking a few levels down of pre reqs for all of my math/physics classes because what I had in middle/high school just did not prepare me for what I was taking for a meteorology degree. Having the parental involvement and good influence there kept my head on straight and put me on the right path to be able to put the work in and get through what I had to at a difficult university in a difficult program. This element is definitely key!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

normiss

Major difference.

I can't speak to all industries, but in the modern software engineering industry, all degrees are equal. Meaning, they're all equally unimportant compared to what actual skills you have (which are easy to test for in an interview).

An applicant with an online degree from a shitty school (or even no degree at all) but excellent skills can land even the most competitive and sought after SWE jobs (of this I am living proof), whereas an applicant with a "not online" degree from Stanford and no skills will not be able to get a job at any of the top tier tech companies, because he won't make it through an interview.

As a sidenote, Stanford (and many other big name schools) offer online degrees, and those degrees are 100% equal to their "non-online" ones. No distinction. But again, in the SWE world you don't even need to worry about having a big name on your resume... you just have to worry about knowing your actual shit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

ryoder

Too bad we don't have a black justice...oh wait...:$
OK, too bad we don't have a black justice who actually speaks.:|

We have a black justice who's wife makes over a million a year working for conservative organizations, peddling her influence on that justice. He shows up at those organizations fund raising events, helping raise money to further their agenda.

He never should have been confirmed. Anita Hill was not lying about the content of his character.

If any of the more respectable members like Kagan or Sotomayor had a partner that was making bank from progressive organizations and using them for fundraising, the reich wing owned media would go off the charts crazy and be calling for impeachment.

Scalia is the lowest of the low. It appears that dementia has set in.

rehmwa

That's been a long time I'd totally fail if I tried right now without preparation. Nice one though. No worries that your students will get a copy of it?

anyway - here goes

1 - Ekwality
2 - gender equality
3 - tolerance
4 - 7.32 picoJoules per Newton meter
5 - social justice
6 - white privilege

We can't know if you passed until you give us all your qualifying factors for your "Privilege Points." Are you straight, gay, white, black, asian, bisexual, transgender, or mentally handicapped?:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything