rushmc

Obama is not having a good week

It could get better if he would just close his yap.

Even the world press was embarrassed by his gun comments in Paris.

It only happens in his America

:S

The Obama legacy

A joke
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

In just 2015, France suffered more casualties – killings and injuries – from mass public shootings than the U.S. has suffered during Obama’s entire presidency (508 to 424). This number includes the San Bernandino massacre on Wednesday.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with rushmc.

A summary: http://www.ijreview.com/2015/06/348197-obama-said-mass-shootings-dont-happen-in-advanced-countries-like-in-us-one-chart-proves-him-wrong/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A very strange website you linked to. It claims that America is number five in terms of frequency of shootings then shows a list where the next highest number of mass shootings, behind America's 38, is 3. It is using weird statistics to get it's point across. Take the same numbers and apply a different statistic and you could take from this information that America has 1266% more mass shootings than the next country, an equally baffling number.

Also, there has been a lot in the news about the frequency of mass shootings in the US, claiming 355 this year (which may already be out of date...) (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/) so where their figure of 38 over 4 years comes from is baffling.

Additionally RushMC's unattributed quote above states:

In just 2015, France suffered more casualties – killings and injuries – from mass public shootings than the U.S. has suffered during Obama’s entire presidency (508 to 424). This number includes the San Bernandino massacre on Wednesday.

The 355 figure is of shootings of more than 4 people. Let's do some very simple maths: 4X355 = 1420. So how does this quote bear any weight?

BTW, I googled it: Fox News.

Oh well.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Kadde

...congratulations?
http://i.imgur.com/eAGNGlj.jpg

If you want to use statistics, it helps to learn how to look at them and how the presenter has used them.

For the fun of it, we could just come to the conclusion that US citizens are bad shooters. ;)

Someone is using bogus numbers. How does 355 in one year (www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/) square with 133 over 14 years?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ryoder

Do we need to take your temperature?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

***...congratulations?
http://i.imgur.com/eAGNGlj.jpg

If you want to use statistics, it helps to learn how to look at them and how the presenter has used them.

For the fun of it, we could just come to the conclusion that US citizens are bad shooters. ;)

Someone is using bogus numbers. How does 355 in one year (www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/) square with 133 over 14 years?

Obama is changing the way he counts again. 355 in one year is calculated by 4 people shot in one event. 133 over 14 years is calculated by events where 4 or more people are killed (the old way of counting).

Kind of like when he changed the way he counted deportations to make it look like he was tough on immigration, now he trying to make it look like there is a gun problem.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

No gun problem? Obama twisting terms and definitions?

You can make your own spread sheet using any/all available sources to include shootings with either death or injury, civilian and/or police, include (or subtract; your choice) suicides/accidents, create individual columns for 1,2,3,4 or 5 deaths or injuries (again your choice) and the result will still be: America has many multiples of the incidences of gun violence for any other advanced nation.

Obama is the president, not overseeing nomenclature for weights and measures.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

America has many multiples of the incidences of gun violence for any other advanced nation.

Gun Violence? Guns are inanimate objects. I have yet to see a gang of guns rolling down the street causing mayhem.

I've seem a pack of Assholes on the other hand causing problems and using guns to do it though. Usually because their is no one their to stop them.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

cvfd1399

Another reason the numbers are different is how the U.S. FBI counts them and the UK's home office counts them.

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/03/comparing-england-or-uk-murder-rates.html

You've cited some guys personal blog.

Regardless of how you calculate these numbers; there are huge differences US vs UK (or rest of world). Despite what you may infer from your Google efforts; when there is a police shooting in the UK, it is a rare occurrance, noteworthy news and highly publicised.

RMK

***Another reason the numbers are different is how the U.S. FBI counts them and the UK's home office counts them.

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/03/comparing-england-or-uk-murder-rates.html

Regardless of how you calculate these numbers; there are huge differences US vs UK (or rest of world). Despite what you may infer from your Google efforts; when there is a police shooting in the UK, it is a rare occurrance, noteworthy news and highly publicised.

What is amusing, you say the rest of the world, as if we are the worst, the bottom of the barrel, why?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

******Another reason the numbers are different is how the U.S. FBI counts them and the UK's home office counts them.

What is amusing, you say the rest of the world, as if we are the worst, the bottom of the barrel, why?

Per my other posts in this thread and others, this is in comparison to "all other advanced nations (ie G10, Western Europe; your pick). In that regards, yes you do rank bottom.

Now that this has been officially classified as terrorism I bet he is having a fucking terrible week.

I am still perplexed as to how this is terrorism and ft hood was different but in both cases we have radicalized Muslims who were in contact with terrorist organizations and went on a shooting spree.

Damn, you didn't actually read the article you linked to make a point. In brief, the numbers are bad no matter what/how/who you compare to.

I've been "schooled"; you too are entertaining.

cvfd1399

Now that this has been officially classified as terrorism I bet he is having a fucking terrible week.

I am still perplexed as to how this is terrorism and ft hood was different but in both cases we have radicalized Muslims who were in contact with terrorist organizations and went on a shooting spree.

Not really mysterious . . . The last times he avoided the word terrorism was when there were elections on the line.