kallend

If it's inevitable that the OTHER party will win

Assume that your party's candidate is certain to lose.

Who from the OTHER party would you like to see in the White House?

This is not "Who from the other party do I want to be its candidate because they are sure to lose?"

My choice from the GOP field would be Rand Paul (or possibly Rubio).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

This is not "Who from the other party do I want to be its candidate because they are sure to lose?"

Paul/Webb

brenthutch

Sanders, I can't see him renting out the Lincoln bedroom. Besides the house and/or the senate are likely to remain in Republican hands, assuring more gridlock.

Can't really see him using his power for sexual harassment either.

I can see him greasing some palms later on though, but not as much as trump.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I will probably end up with an R vote, but Jim Webb would likely be my first choice at the moment. Kasich is my 2nd choice. Any of the current front runners will cause me to toss my vote to a 3rd party. But thanks to the electoral college, my presidential votes doesn't really count from a solid red state.

kallend

Who cares? Both sides are basically the same except for their views on sexually transmitted parasite removal and whose genitals should touch whose.

The individual president shouldn't (EDITED: was "doesn't") matter, anyway, except as the answer to a Jeopardy! question 50 years from now. Congress will continue to be awful. The judicial branch will continue to be awful. 2/3 is enough to ensure bad policies can be made and will be upheld.

This will be my first presidential election where I'm back in the US since Bush was in office and will have my vote 'matter' (except it won't). I'll write in someone random for president, possibly myself since I'm eligible now, and will pay more attention to the local and congressional battles where a difference can possibly be made. Except that the political makeup of my area means that I'm still unlikely to make a damned bit of difference.
cavete terrae.

The individual president doesn't matter, anyway, except as the answer to a Jeopardy

Seriously?

I would think Iraq would look significantly different right now if Bush had not been president.

If you think that the leader of a country has absolutely no impact on that country, you may want to lay of the mind altering substances and read a history book.

SkyDekker

The individual president doesn't matter, anyway, except as the answer to a Jeopardy

Seriously?

I would think Iraq would look significantly different right now if Bush had not been president.

If you think that the leader of a country has absolutely no impact on that country, you may want to lay of the mind altering substances and read a history book.

I'll correct myself: The individual president SHOULDN'T matter, in theory. In practice, William Henry Harrison remains the only president I admire.

Pretty funny that you just accused someone who has never had alcohol or recreational drugs of being drunk or high, though.
cavete terrae.

grue

Seriously?

I'll correct myself: The individual president SHOULDN'T matter, in theory. In practice, William Henry Harrison remains the only president I admire.

Pretty funny that you just accused someone who has never had alcohol or recreational drugs of being drunk or high, though.

There are non-recreational mind altering substances. Quite a few of them.

It was either that, utterly naïve, or incredibly dumb.

And the individual President should matter. It should matter a lot. Why you would think that the leader of a country shouldn't matter?

Do you think all leaders should have no influence over those they lead?

SkyDekker

Seriously?

There are non-recreational mind altering substances. Quite a few of them.

It was either that, utterly naïve, or incredibly dumb.

And the individual President should matter. It should matter a lot. Why you would think that the leader of a country shouldn't matter?

Do you think all leaders should have no influence over those they lead?

His job, in my mind, should be to either sign laws or veto them, and represent the nation when meeting with other people who represent their nation. Certainly he's going to have involvement with economic matters, military and so forth, but most of the things of consequence should be handled by other branches.

In my opinion, of course.
cavete terrae.

His job, in my mind, should be to either sign laws or veto them, and represent the nation when meeting with other people who represent their nation. Certainly he's going to have involvement with economic matters, military and so forth, but most of the things of consequence should be handled by other branches.

Signing laws, vetoing laws and meeting with leaders of other countries have consequences, sometimes very serious consequences.

Invading other countries is pretty serious, specially when you end up spending a couple of trillion on it.

Guess you label those as not of consequence?

Not really following you here.

SkyDekker

Signing laws, vetoing laws and meeting with leaders of other countries have consequences, sometimes very serious consequences.

Invading other countries is pretty serious, specially when you end up spending a couple of trillion on it.

Guess you label those as not of consequence?

Not really following you here.

In my mind, invading other countries shouldn't be something the president is ordering, that should be for congress.

Consider, though, that my favorite president is william henry harrison, who remains the only president who had the good grace to die before he fucked anything up.
cavete terrae.