winsor

Here Comes the Sun!

Climate Change (tm) is all about us. If it happens on our watch, it's our fault!

Al Gore should factor this into his equations (actually, I am unsure if he passed grade-school arithmetic).

In any event, it is a fool who only considers one factor in a complex system - significant though that factor may be. Unless, of course, your funding is dependent on one factor to the exclusion of all others...

futuredivot

But that's weather, not climate...right? Weather is when things cool and climate is when models say that things are getting warmer even if they really arent-just wanting to make sure I understand this.

Be afraid - be very afraid.

futuredivot

But that's weather, not climate...right? Weather is when things cool and climate is when models say that things are getting warmer even if they really arent-just wanting to make sure I understand this.

That wasn't even 3rd rate sarcasm.

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_weather.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***But that's weather, not climate...right? Weather is when things cool and climate is when models say that things are getting warmer even if they really arent-just wanting to make sure I understand this.

Actually, it is just closer to the truth than you want to admit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******But that's weather, not climate...right? Weather is when things cool and climate is when models say that things are getting warmer even if they really arent-just wanting to make sure I understand this.

Actually, it is just closer to the truth than you want to admit.

And that wasn't even up to YOUR usual standard of truthiness.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Al Gore should factor this into his equations

So now the Earth is at risk of a new ice age. But it's warming, and it's all the fault of the Sun - we had nothing to do with it. Unless it's stopping a new ice age, then we get the credit, and isn't Al Gore a great big jerk?

It's hard to keep up with the latest spin sometimes. They should come out with a weekly summary of the latest spin on climate change denial. (Other than wattsupwiththat, of course.)

>In any event, it is a fool who only considers one factor in a complex system

Indeed.

billvon

>Al Gore should factor this into his equations

So now the Earth is at risk of a new ice age. But it's warming, and it's all the fault of the Sun - we had nothing to do with it. Unless it's stopping a new ice age, then we get the credit, and isn't Al Gore a great big jerk?

It's hard to keep up with the latest spin sometimes. They should come out with a weekly summary of the latest spin on climate change denial. (Other than wattsupwiththat, of course.)

>In any event, it is a fool who only considers one factor in a complex system

Indeed.

Al Gore is a jerk any way you cut it.

Humanity is been a factor in climate by virtue of agricultural and urban modification of the surface and such things as carbon dioxide levels.

Such issues as 'climate change' are but symptoms of a more compelling issue, which is the sheer volume of humanity. Even if we resolve the perceived carbon emission 'crisis,' our burgeoning population will necessarily reach critical mass, where we have stripped the planet of the finite resources necessary to survive.

When we require food at a greater rate than it can be produced, the seed corn will not last long. Hungry people do not make wise decisions based on long term goals.

If you are under the illusion that we would not behave in such a short sighted manner, I give you the U. S. economy, where we deal with unsustainable debt by mandatory borrowing.

We focus on symptoms, rather than problems.

We are spending money faster than we can make it, and we are in hock up to our eyeballs? Borrow more!

We have 6 billion people on our planet and counting, and a lot of whom want to drive cars, so carbon dioxide levels are rising? Make more Priuses!

When I consider the limitations of supposedly bright people, and the fact that we encourage stupid people to breed, I lose faith in Nihilism. What the hell, it was fun while it lasted.

Enjoy yourselves, it's later than you think!

BSBD,

Winsor

your oversimplification of it demonstrates your lack of understanding of the issue.

Kind of like me complaining that the neurosurgeon did a lousy job removing a tumor. Unless I am a neurosurgeon or at the very least have extensive training and experience in the medical field, then I will stick to whateveer the experts are telling me.

When the vast majority of experts all jump on the 'climate change is bunk' bandwagon, then I will revisit the issue.

that is NOT happening, not even remotely close to happening, not even a miniscule iota of than happening.

>Al Gore is a jerk any way you cut it.

Sadly, for some people, that's the deepest level they are capable of understanding climate change.

>Such issues as 'climate change' are but symptoms of a more compelling issue,
> which is the sheer volume of humanity. Even if we resolve the perceived
>carbon emission 'crisis,' our burgeoning population will necessarily reach critical
>mass, where we have stripped the planet of the finite resources necessary to
>survive.

Definitely. While technology increases the carrying capacity of our planet there will always be a limit.

>We have 6 billion people on our planet and counting, and a lot of whom want
>to drive cars, so carbon dioxide levels are rising? Make more Priuses!

Well, more like limit population AND have alternatives to driving AND make more Priuses. Even if you got every person in the world on birth control today, drivers will keep increasing for the next 18 years or so - so there's no one solution that will solve the problem.

kallend

www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34763036

I'd like some of that Sun.

Why is it that just about the only place on Earth getting colder is where I live!

So many reasons.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun