skycop

These stories seldom make it past the local media level

normiss

"where BBQ and beer are a daily diet"

Damn skippy.
B|

After driving 3000+ miles after I picked up my rental in ATL.. I drove all over Carbohydrate hell for 3 weeks last month.... ie GA, FL, AL, SC, NC and TN.. going to small towns and county courthouses where my kinfolk lived and died for the last couple hundred years. We found records.. went to battlefields.... ate some really good seafood and saw WAY too many seriously morbidly obese people everywhere we went.

I was beginning to think that most of the people down there are ready for the spaceship in WALL-E.. and the cool floating beds they all lounged around opn out there in zero G.

It was kinda kewl.. being the almost skinny Tall girl again... and its been a long time since that was a thing

normiss

My apologies, I assumed you were southern.
:P

I am southern..and while I grew up Jif-we never had that much animosity toward Skippy. Now there was some real hate for Peter Pan but only the crunchy that tore the bread up so bad.
:D
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

futuredivot

***My apologies, I assumed you were southern.
:P

I am southern..and while I grew up Jif-we never had that much animosity toward Skippy. Now there was some real hate for Peter Pan but only the crunchy that tore the bread up so bad.
:D

Mm mm extra crunchy peanut butter.
(Sigh)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

skycop

Land Rovers and Toyota Landcrusiers have been doing just that for generations.

If the DoD were giving those away, you'd see PD's getting them. And sometimes they do come up on the site, if I'd see one, I'd snag it.

***I still don't see the need for an ARMORED vehicle.

You don't, and that is where the "opened mindedness" isn't very open.

The vehicle has been adapted for use for which it was never really designed, but is very useful for.

In your circles that would be "thinking outside the box", by first obtaining a useful vehicle for pennies on the dollar. Then using that vehicle in a manner which benefits the community they serve.

And I suppose painting "SWAT" on the side in huge letters goes along with that humanitarian way of thinking.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And I suppose painting "SWAT" on the side in huge letters

I agree,

Most agencies should decal this;

"THIS ARMORED VEHICLE IS BEING USED FOR RESCUE. WE KNOW IT IS BIG AND SCARY AND WE KNOW THAT IT BEING ARMORED FREAKS SOME PEOPLE OUT. BUT SOMETIMES WE NEED TO USE IT FOR WHEN PEOPLE ARE SHOOTING AT US, SO WE CAN RESCUE YOU OR USE IT TO PROTECT OURSELVES"

It's definitely big enough to fit that on the side. It would cost more to letter it, than it did to acquire it. But we want to make sure we don't offend anyone.

Or, as some agencies do, put "Tactical Rescue" or simply "RESCUE" on the side. Even that doesn't placate the detractor crowd.....................

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

When I do the job I'm paid to do, and which I've done for the past 38 years, I don't get written up in the national news. Even though the job is preparing young people for good and socially productive careers as engineers and scientists.

I got a lot more media exposure for being on an FAI world record skydive.

I expect that I'd get a lot of media attention if I molested my students, too.

Just doing the job you're paid to do is NOT news. I don't ever expect to see a headline "Engineering Professor Teaches Class How To Design a Bridge", yet as a society we are highly dependent on well designed bridges.

skycop

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/30264283/armored-vehicles-credited-to-saving-flood-victims

The same situations occurred in Texas this Spring, as well as other areas of he country when needed.

The national media is surprisingly absent in running these stories of the ACTUAL use of this equipment. It doesn't fit their narrative.

I often hear it said that if a few people die from accidentally discharged firearms every year, it's just the price we have to pay for the 2nd.

I'd be willing to let a few drown every year to be free from militarized police departments.

cvfd1399

Grading papers is not exciting news. A severe weather issue with rescues is exciting and therefore catches viewers attention and ratings so you get to see it on tv.

Teaching engineering does involve a little more than grading papers.

cvfd1399

Ooh yea there's also forcing students to buy a bunch of books the teachers never use because of some deal the school has with the private company. Come to think of it that makes the news more than grading papers does.

I don't require any textbooks in any class I teach.

Thanks to the (greedy capitalist) US publishers, textbooks are way overpriced in this country. Same books available in Europe are way cheaper.

Just like pharmaceuticals are way overpriced in this country.

When I do the job I'm paid to do, and which I've done for the past 38 years, I don't get written up in the national news. Even though the job is preparing young people for good and socially productive careers as engineers and scientists.

I got a lot more media exposure for being on an FAI world record skydive.

I expect that I'd get a lot of media attention if I molested my students, too.

Just doing the job you're paid to do is NOT news. I don't ever expect to see a headline "Engineering Professor Teaches Class How To Design a Bridge", yet as a society we are highly dependent on well designed bridges.

I love it! The classic answer from the usual players.....

Highlight good things, extraordinary things the cops are doing. With equipment they obtained and made operational, at an extremely low cost.

When it's positive, innovative, resourceful and informative, it's attention whoring for just doing their jobs. When it's potentially negative it's this horrible trend with no actual proof.

You just chose to ignore to positive when it's pointed out, you even ignored the physics of the actual use of an armored vehicle.

Should I be concerned about driving across a bridge one of your students designed?

skycop

Should I be concerned about driving across a bridge one of your students designed?

I expect you already have - many times. Didn't make the news, though.

IF it fell down it would make the news.

I don't know why you expect to be patted on the back by the media for just doing your job but expect it to be swept under the carpet when a cop screws up.

>Ooh yea there's also forcing students to buy a bunch of books the teachers
>never use because of some deal the school has with the private company.
>Come to think of it that makes the news more than grading papers does.

"Ooh yeah and when you're a cop you also have to write speeding tickets, and eat a lot of donuts, and shoot black kids in the back . . ."

(both show about the same level of intelligence)

skycop

I expect you already have - many times. Didn't make the news, though.

So it's you to blame for America's failing infrastructure..................

Bridge designers aren't responsible for politicians' failures to allocate funds to maintain the infrastructure.

WASHINGTON — The House on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a multiyear highway bill that includes more than $300 billion in transportation and infrastructure programs to address the nation’s deteriorating roads and bridges.

The bill, however, still fails to address a chronic shortfall in financing for the Federal Highway Trust Fund, which pays for such projects, and has been the subject of a fierce long-running disagreement over federal tax policy.

The House measure must now be reconciled with a Senate version adopted earlier this year. Like the House bill, the Senate measure included six years of policy prescriptions but only provided about three years’ worth of financing.

The vote in the House was 363 to 64. Most of the “no” votes came from hard-line conservative Republicans who were angered that the bill was not fully paid for and that it included a provision to reopen the federal Export-Import Bank.

Hmm - seems you should be blaming hard-line conservative Republicans for infrastructure problems.

Sure is a lot of postering from the usual suspects.

I swear even the good news gets twisted on this site. There certainly is a lot of people that have a high opinion of themselves on this site. Always there to point out the flaw in others and I am sure they have no flaws. I wonder how it feels to see all that perfection in the mirror in the morning.

Ymmv.

Good job by those officers btw.
Propblast

http://kxan.com/2015/11/03/military-equipment-rescued-over-600-people-in-san-marcos-during-flooding/

600+ people, some more shameless self-promotion.

Let me explain it to you, this armored vehicle sits higher and has more mass (a physics term). Because of this floodwaters have less of a chance of washing it away. Plus it stops bullets, how cool is that?
But it is scary looking...........................