billvon

Immediate issues with AGW

There are a lot of long term issues with climate change, but one that's a simple and direct effect is that some places are simply going to become too hot to live in.

================
Nature Climate Change

Future temperature in southwest Asia projected to exceed a threshold for human adaptability

Published online
26 October 2015

A human body may be able to adapt to extremes of dry-bulb temperature (commonly referred to as simply temperature) through perspiration and associated evaporative cooling provided that the wet-bulb temperature (a combined measure of temperature and humidity or degree of ‘mugginess’) remains below a threshold of 35 °C. (ref. 1). This threshold defines a limit of survivability for a fit human under well-ventilated outdoor conditions and is lower for most people. We project using an ensemble of high-resolution regional climate model simulations that extremes of wet-bulb temperature in the region around the Arabian Gulf are likely to approach and exceed this critical threshold under the business-as-usual scenario of future greenhouse gas concentrations. Our results expose a specific regional hotspot where climate change, in the absence of significant mitigation, is likely to severely impact human habitability in the future.
==================

billvon

There are a lot of long term issues with climate change, but one that's a simple and direct effect is that some places are simply going to become too hot to live in.

================
Nature Climate Change

Future temperature in southwest Asia projected to exceed a threshold for human adaptability

Published online
26 October 2015

A human body may be able to adapt to extremes of dry-bulb temperature (commonly referred to as simply temperature) through perspiration and associated evaporative cooling provided that the wet-bulb temperature (a combined measure of temperature and humidity or degree of ‘mugginess’) remains below a threshold of 35 °C. (ref. 1). This threshold defines a limit of survivability for a fit human under well-ventilated outdoor conditions and is lower for most people. We project using an ensemble of high-resolution regional climate model simulations that extremes of wet-bulb temperature in the region around the Arabian Gulf are likely to approach and exceed this critical threshold under the business-as-usual scenario of future greenhouse gas concentrations. Our results expose a specific regional hotspot where climate change, in the absence of significant mitigation, is likely to severely impact human habitability in the future.
==================

I won't say it is wrong. But I will say nice little blurb with no data and no link to the whole story or who said it. I can type that Antartica is going to see 100 degrees before the end of the year, dosent mean it is true.
Where did this tidbit come from?
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

billvon

>And can't I get that in Fahrenheit since I'm a narrow headed American?

It's a wet-bulb temperature of 35C. In other words, 95F at 100% humidity or equivalent. That's a heat index of 161F.

*[Got it. But I'm pretty sure you'll never see 100% humidity in southwest Asia.]* - scratch that, I just read a news article about what you are talking about. Maybe it will wear down ISIS and they can dehydrate and die of heat stroke in the name of allah.

Dry ball temps are high 120s and low 130s in some places (island effect from Baghdad), but it is extremely arid there.

It's worse than Eloy, AZ in that beyatch. It's like Eloy in August, then 20 degrees hotter.

billvon

>Where did this tidbit come from?

The journal Nature.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate2833.html

Well yeah that looks like where you got it from. But I am not going to pay 32 dollars to read the whole article. Or 199 dollars to have full access. So with that being said it strikes me as a site just trying to raise money and facts be Damned.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Go here and learn what your talking about.>:( One of the many pier reviewed journals where real science is published. Not everything is free in this world. Although it is after 1 year. I not only play a chemist I are one. (learned my English from engineers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_%28journal%29

"Nature is a British interdisciplinary scientific journal, first published on 4 November 1869.[1] It was ranked the world's most cited scientific journal by the Science Edition of the 2010 Journal Citation Reports, is ascribed an impact factor of approximately 42.4, and is widely regarded as one of the few remaining academic journals that publishes original research across a wide range of scientific fields.[2] Nature claims an online readership of about 3 million unique readers per month.[3] The journal has a weekly circulation of around 53,000 but studies have concluded that on average a single copy is shared by as many as eight people.[4]"

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

billvon

Immediate issues with AGW

The models show that these temps might occur several times during a 30 year cycle at the end of the century - so ya, if your definition of "immediate" is "sometime, possibly, maybe in the distant future," then you might be right.

You are apparently failing to take into account the fact that renewable energy sources are already being implemented and their use will continue to rise. Furthermore, given the current level of consumption, oil would be practically depleted before this 30 year cycle, so business practices will have to change regardless of your propaganda, but thanks - your continued abuse of facts and statistics have become a regular source of entertainment.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

I read this a while back
It addressed "What is the Optimum Temperature with respect to human mortality?"

Just for some perspective

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/03/02/what-is-the-optimum-temperature-with-respect-to-human-mortality/

And remember everyone, despite kallend and others attempt to bash this site, there are many guest contributors who offer differing perspectives. The debates following many of these are very interesting to read as there are those on both sides of the issue.

Much, if any of these opinions and theories will never be offered anywhere else as most do not want a fair debate of the topic
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

BartsDaddy

***>Where did this tidbit come from?

The journal Nature.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate2833.html

Well yeah that looks like where you got it from. But I am not going to pay 32 dollars to read the whole article. Or 199 dollars to have full access. So with that being said it strikes me as a site just trying to raise money and facts be Damned.

Let me sum up.
If it gets too hot for humans, it will be too hot for humans.
It is a variation of the "If all of the ice in the world melts, and raises the water level over our heads, we will be under water" theme. Cutting edge stuff to be sure.

billvon

>And can't I get that in Fahrenheit since I'm a narrow headed American?

It's a wet-bulb temperature of 35C. In other words, 95F at 100% humidity or equivalent. That's a heat index of 161F.

Hmmm.

It must be 161F in Houston, Texas for at least one month a year. Everyone must be dead there now.

June through August in Houston is very hot and humid, often with scattered afternoon showers and thunderstorms. At George Bush Intercontinental Airport, the normal daily high temperature peaks at 95.0 °F (35.0 °C) on 5–12 August,[1] with a normal of 102.4 days per year at or above 90 °F (32 °C) and 3.5 days per year at or above 100 °F (38 °C).[1] The average relative humidity ranges from over 90 percent in the morning to around 60 percent in the afternoon.[6] The temperatures in the summer in Houston are very similar to average temperatures seen in tropical climates, such as in the Philippines and Central America.[7] The values of relative humidity results in a heat index higher than the actual temperature.[8] The highest temperature ever recorded at George Bush Intercontinental Airport was 109 °F (43 °C) on September 4, 2000[9] and on August 27, 2011.[10] On June 29, 2013, the temperature at George Bush Intercontinental Airport reached 107 °F (42 °C), the highest ever recorded in June.[11] Heat stroke can strike people who stay outdoors for long periods of time during the summer, making hydration essential for outdoor work and recreational activity.[12] The 2014 summer season did not yield 100+ degree weather in response to the monsoon-esque rainfall during late June to August.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I did not think it was mathematically possible for it to be that hot and humid at the same time, that the air could not hold water at that temp or something. That sounds like some off the wall math and not hard facts. Anyone here know the true mess of this?

cvfd1399

I did not think it was mathematically possible for it to be that hot and humid at the same time, that the air could not hold water at that temp or something. That sounds like some off the wall math and not hard facts. Anyone here know the true mess of this?

Here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausius%E2%80%93Clapeyron_relation

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I did not think it was mathematically possible for it to be that hot and humid at
> the same time, that the air could not hold water at that temp or something.

The warmer the air is, the more water it can hold without it condensing out. When saturated air gets colder the water condenses out. This is how most cumulus clouds form.

>That sounds like some off the wall math and not hard facts.
=====================
Heat index in Iran hits staggering 163 degrees
Doyle Rice
USA TODAY 3:48 p.m. EDT July 31, 2015
AP MIDEAST IRAQ HEAT WAVE

Bandar Mahshahr, Iran, soared to a staggering heat index of 163 degrees Friday afternoon as a heat wave continued to bake the Middle East, already one of the hottest places on earth.

"That was one of the most incredible temperature observations I have ever seen, and it is one of the most extreme readings ever in the world," AccuWeather meteorologist Anthony Sagliani said in a statement.

While the temperature was "only" 115 degrees, the dew point was an unfathomable 90 degrees. On Thursday, the Iranian city of about 100,000 reached a heat index of 154 degrees. The combination of heat and humidity, measured by the dew point, is what makes the heat index — or what the temperature actually feels like outside.

"A strong ridge of high pressure has persisted over the Middle East through much of July, resulting in the extreme heat wave in what many would consider one of the hottest places in the world," Sagliani said.
===================

>It must be 161F in Houston, Texas for at least one month a year. Everyone
>must be dead there now.

From your post:

3 days over 100F
60 percent relative humidity in the hottest part of the day
Heat index 129F

Now think about those three hottest days of the year feeling like they were 32F hotter.

billvon

>It must be 161F in Houston, Texas for at least one month a year. Everyone
>must be dead there now.

From your post:

3 days over 100F
60 percent relative humidity in the hottest part of the day
Heat index 129F

Now think about those three hottest days of the year feeling like they were 32F hotter.

I was out working in it.
It didn't bother me that much. You just have to stay hydrated.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

billvon

>I was out working in it.
>It didn't bother me that much. You just have to stay hydrated.

Right. Now imagine a temperature that feels 30F hotter than that.

Uncomfortable . . . Imagine being on the moon without a space suit.

I think 'uncomfortable' is a bit of a understatement.

So, you're been shown to be wrong about the temperature in Houston, but you're going to stick to your guns that 165F wet bulb temperature is no big deal?

- Dan G

DanG

So, you're been shown to be wrong about the temperature in Houston, but you're going to stick to your guns that 165F wet bulb temperature is no big deal?

I thought you all wanted to ban guns.

I'll stick to the fact that I am looking forward to the changes.

I want to move forward toward change.

>Ok so its when it gets too cold not too hot that the air cant hold moisture at
>some point.

Well, it can always hold moisture. It can just hold more moisture when it's warmer. That's why the term "dew point" is important; that's the point at which air (at that temperature) is saturated and can't hold any more water. If you want it to hold more water, warm up the air.

DanG

***Uncomfortable . . . Imagine being on the moon without a space suit.

I know that 165F probably refers to the heat index of the 95F wet bulb temp that Bill was talking about earlier, but be careful - I was already rebuked in another thread for the saying the same thing.

But to answer your question - ya, heat waves are a big deal and lots of people can die. I think 700+ died in Chicago during a heat wave 20 years ago. 600+ died in Pakistan earlier this year, and those temps didn't even break the record high for that area from 1979 when CO2 emissions were lower.

The record heat index of 178F back in 2003 didn't seem to be as deadly - nor did the 165F back in July - here's some pictures:
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2015/08/01/rtx1mfvg.jpg

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2015/08/01/heat.jpg

Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour