jclalor

More on HRC and Benghazi

jclalor

Clinton looks and sounds solid right now in front of Congress. The Republican inquisitors... not so much, they look and sound desperate.

There is a reason she is the front runner. She is far and away the most qualified candidate of either party. On many fronts. Making Republicans look foolish is like walking in the park for her.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

You have to feel a little bit bad for the republicans at this point. This election cycle should have been an easy one for them to dominate with Hilary sidetracked with the Benghazi investigation, strong candidates of their own and a majority in the legislature.

But then their frontrunner became Trump - and suddenly they couldn't support their own candidate for fear of being laughed out of the room. They've been reduced to pretending he's not there, and saying things like "but Carson is clearly leading! If you ignore Trump which we are. Trump's poll numbers will tank Real Soon Now."

And then it turned out that the whole Benghazi thing was a political ploy to get Hillary. Now they are in the unenviable position of defending the use of dead Americans to gain political favor. I've already seen claims of "it's OK because the Democrats did it first!" which is an admission of defeat.

And they keep losing at everything else they try. Not because of any opposition, but because they can't get out of their own way. They wanted a new speaker, but then McCarthy committed the unforgivable sin of telling the truth, so he's out. Maybe Paul Ryan! But he doesn't want to do it because he thinks the GOP doesn't support him; they don't think he's a 'true conservative.'

Meanwhile Boehner is still trying to quit - and he couldn't even pull that off.

It's too bad, because we could use a real alternative to democrats.

billvon

You have to feel a little bit bad for the republicans at this point.

Uh, no. Not in the least. Why feel bad for a bunch of mean-spirited hypocrites who spend millions of tax dollars on what is obviously a political charade.

If they're down, fuck 'em. I hope they lose big this time next year.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

From an outsiders perspective it seems like from the late '90s through the Bush years the Dems were divided and infighting too much while the Republicans (for better or worse... mostly worse:P) were fairly unified behind the NeoCons and Bush with Iraq and the Anti-terror mission being their solid, unifying anchor point.

Now that's disintegrated and all the ambitious Republicans are scrambling over the top of each other trying to be the one that appeals most to the 'base' by being the most religious, the most anti-taxation, the most homophobic or whatever - which pushes anyone moderate or even vaguely sensible to the fringes of the party, while the Dems are just quietly getting on with things.

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

cvfd1399

We could have had creepy uncle joe.

...and as pathetic as it may be, I think many independents/republicans would've been wiping the sweat off their brow - happily voting him in with a sigh of relief given the current selection - That's how fucked up this country is right now.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

billvon

it turned out that the whole Benghazi thing was a political ploy to get Hillary..

Well, I know many on the left here don't want another Clinton in the House. She really needs to be indicted on her mishandling of classified information - To hell with Benghazi - Her poll numbers wouldn't budge even if the ambassador came back from the grave waving his finger in her face.

Personally tho, this hearing gave me a great idea - screw the debates - why not have the top two candidates from each party sit in the hot seat for eight hours under oath, getting grilled by congress and every major TV news network in the U.S?

jakee

all the ambitious Republicans are scrambling over the top of each other trying to be the one that appeals most to the 'base' by being the most religious, the most anti-taxation, the most homophobic.

Ya, and then there's Trump who doesn't seem to be particularly religious, nor homophobic...so what does that tell ya?

Coreeece

*** all the ambitious Republicans are scrambling over the top of each other trying to be the one that appeals most to the 'base' by being the most religious, the most anti-taxation, the most homophobic.

Ya, and then there's Trump who doesn't seem to be particularly religious, nor homophobic...so what does that tell ya?

He's the most anti-immigration:P

But seriously, it tells me what I already thought - the blinkered pursuit of 'the base' has gone way too far. The Republican leadership has forgotten that just because they're the noisiest segment of the party they're not the most numerous or the most important.

jakee

****** all the ambitious Republicans are scrambling over the top of each other trying to be the one that appeals most to the 'base' by being the most religious, the most anti-taxation, the most homophobic.

He's the most anti-immigration:P

But seriously, it tells me what I already thought - the blinkered pursuit of 'the base' has gone way too far. The Republican leadership has forgotten that just because they're the noisiest segment of the party they're not the most numerous or the most important.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but this could be good news in that it demonstrates how republicans can serve as an example of how people with diverse social values can set their differences aside to unite for a (insert common cause cliche here.) Perhaps they're not the intolerant/unreasonable ones, eh?

The problem as you've noted, is that the leadership (right/left) insists on focusing on the more divisive issues, because this is what keeps them in power - the continually perceived state of dire straights.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but this could be good news in that it demonstrates how republicans can serve as an example of how people with diverse social values can set their differences aside to unite for a (insert common cause cliche here.) Perhaps they're not the intolerant/unreasonable ones, eh?

Except for the whole bit about how the republicans are currently tearing themselves apart through complete lack of unity, yeah:P

(But I'm sure they'll be back singing off the same hymn sheet as soon as they find the next good war to get stuck into)

jclalor

Clinton looks and sounds solid right now in front of Congress. The Republican inquisitors... not so much, they look and sound desperate.

Clinton came across as the only grown-up in the room.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Clinton looks and sounds solid right now in front of Congress. The Republican inquisitors... not so much, they look and sound desperate.

Your bias is showing.

I thought it more like the petulant child.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

***Clinton looks and sounds solid right now in front of Congress. The Republican inquisitors... not so much, they look and sound desperate.

a very powerful filter you live under

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

You were watching some other than the testifying then.
It was ridiculous.
She laughed in their faces.
Rightfully so.

Just like a petulant child would.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

normiss

Or an adult that knows how to respond to silly questioning.

After all, what difference does it make anyway?

>Personally tho, this hearing gave me a great idea - screw the debates - why
>not have the top two candidates from each party sit in the hot seat for eight
>hours under oath, getting grilled by congress and every major TV news
>network in the U.S?

That would be even more of a circus than the debates.