jgoose71

The Invasion of Europe

I don't think we should base our determination of what is humanitarian on what others do. Actions should stand on their own.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

billvon

The Bible especially discusses how to deal with the disadvantaged.

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall turn against your brother, the needy and to the poor, in your land.' "

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that the captives and the blind are unworthy, and to blame the oppressed for their plight."

"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: 'Cursed are you who are poor, for you are lazy. Cursed are you who are hungry now, for you are probably just having kids for dollars. Cursed are you who weep now, for your problems are all in your head and have nothing to do with me. Cursed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, because you probably deserve it. But blessed are you who are rich, for you have worked hard and received your rightful compensation."

Ah yes, the bible of fiscal conservatism....So that's where you get your view on minimum wage.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

billvon

But since he won't answer the question I asked I will answer it for him - 1293. Obama has increased that to 10,000 a year.

Yep, in addition the 70,000 refugees and 1 million+ immigrants we take in consistently every year...

billvon

So the evil muslims in Saudi Arabia are taking many, many more refugees than the US.

As they should - they practically share a border - we're 6,000 miles away across the pond. How many Mexicans has Saudi Arabia taken in?

I know you didn't bring it up but this whole comparison thing is dumb...

>why not show compassion and solve the homeless problem here within our
>own borders first? Or how about we take care of our returning veterans
>instead of giving away billions to other countries?

I will never understand this mindset. "We can only do one thing! Why the hell are we trying to solve the problem of gun violence when people are dying of heart disease? Why are you trying to help veterans when far more people with mental illnesses are living in the streets?"

How about we do all of the above? We are the richest country on the planet. Our biggest health problem is obesity because we eat too much and are too lazy to exercise. I don't buy the "we are just too poor to help" or "we are working SO hard that we can't do one more thing!" Lebanon is far poorer and smaller than we are, and has done far more than we are willing to do.

>I don't think we should base our determination of what is humanitarian on
>what others do. Actions should stand on their own.

Definitely. For people who do want to take action, here are a few links. The first is Doctors without Borders, an organization I support wholeheartedly; they do a lot of good throughout the world.

https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/onetime.cfm

The second is a link to Charity Navigator, a service that finds and ranks charities working on specific problems throughout the world:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1523#.Vh8Mcyunywc

billvon

I will never understand this mindset. "We can only do one thing! Why the hell are we trying to solve the problem of gun violence when people are dying of heart disease? Why are you trying to help veterans when far more people with mental illnesses are living in the streets?"

How about we do all of the above? We are the richest country on the planet. Our biggest health problem is obesity because we eat too much and are too lazy to exercise. I don't buy the "we are just too poor to help" or "we are working SO hard that we can't do one more thing!" Lebanon is far poorer and smaller than we are, and has done far more than we are willing to do.

Well then, by all means, let's steal money create new taxes that forces people to redistribute the wealth.

You are one of those people that don't like sports to have any score to then, because no one should be shown to be better in any way from anyone else, huh?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

billvon

Lebanon is far poorer and smaller than we are, and has done far more than we are willing to do.

Lebanon doesn't have a choice, anymore than Jordan had a choice with regard to millions of Palestinians. Geography is destiny.

brenthutch

***>why not show compassion and solve the homeless problem here within our

Lebanon is far poorer and smaller than we are, and has done far more than we are willing to do.

Lebanon doesn't have a choice, anymore than Jordan had a choice with regard to millions of Palestinians. Geography is destiny.

I really do not have any issue with refugees coming here.

There are plenty of empty buildings in Detroit and Chicago that could easily be remodeled to house them. There is plenty of room in California as well.

As long as they go through the proper channels and abide by the immigration laws.

One caveat, if they break the law with violence, be it domestic, or otherwise, immediate deportation back where they came from.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

SkyDekker

Yep, in addition the 70,000 refugees and 1 million+ immigrants we take in consistently every year...

You need those immigrants to grow the country, same in Canada. Current residents aren't having enough babies.

Yes, because we have well funded and well-maintained infrastructure plus a sustainable and nature/earth healthy lifestyle, more people couldn't possibly hurt. :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Why are you Americans so worried about Arab refugees raping your women?
That "rape culture" originated as a form of birth control in arid, dirt-poor countries. Unfortunately, the "don't fool around with girls" message got perverted to "girls are evil."

The underlying problem is that men cannot control their sexual urges. Even worse than that is the perversion of the Koranic message that "love between men is for forbidden" got perverted to read "sex between men is okay. However, Afghan man-love has been perverted to be far more about domination and reinforcing the power structure than releasing sexual tension.

If you allow Afghan refugees into your country, you should worry about your sons when Pashtuns import haram practices like "man love Thursday" and "tea boys."
Many of these traditional cultures (e. g. Pashtunwalli) pre-date Islam by thousands or years and are forbidden by the Koran.
For an insight into Pashtunwali, watch the film "Hyena Road" currently in cinemas.
Maybe the first step is reminding refugees that American laws are based the same Ten Commandments thatGod handed down to Moses. The Prophet Moses passed those 10 Commandments onto the the children of Israel. The Jewish-born prophet Jesus reminded the faithful about the 10 Commandments. The Prophet Mohammed reminded the faithful about the 10 Commandments, etc. down the 600 year cycle of the prophets: Sadly, we are at a low point (the bottom of a wave) in the 600 year cycle of the prophets.
Wow! Did I just write something all theological??

Why are you Americans so worried about Arab refugees raping your women?
If you allow Afghan refugees into your country,

What do arabs have to do with afghans?

Maybe the first step is reminding refugees that American laws are based the same Ten Commandments

So... lie to them?

Wow! Did I just write something all theological??

Not really.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes, because we have well funded and well-maintained infrastructure plus a sustainable and nature/earth healthy lifestyle, more people couldn't possibly hurt.

What is currently in place really isn't that important. But if you want to maintain that into the future, you need a certain amount of people to work and pay taxes etc.

Without immigration you have a declining population. A declining population wouldn't allow you to maintain what you currently have in the future, since you'll have a bunch of retired old people and very few young people to pay their share.

SkyDekker

You need those immigrants to grow the country, same in Canada. Current residents aren't having enough babies.

...or too many abortions.

SkyDekker

Yes, because we have well funded and well-maintained infrastructure plus a sustainable and nature/earth healthy lifestyle, more people couldn't possibly hurt.

What is currently in place really isn't that important. But if you want to maintain that into the future, you need a certain amount of people to work and pay taxes etc.

Without immigration you have a declining population. A declining population wouldn't allow you to maintain what you currently have in the future, since you'll have a bunch of retired old people and very few young people to pay their share.

The welfare state Ponzi scheme. [:/]

billvon

>What do arabs have to do with afghans?

It's like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor! Are you and your ilk going to stand for that?

There are no 4 legged elks in Pearl Harbor.