Eagleeye

Regal Cinemas and mace!

My mother who is 67 years old and lives in California was told that she had to discard her mace or she was not allowed in the theater!
As she gave the attendant her ticket she was asked to open her purse, when she did the attendant tried to put his hands in her purse. She told him no and then he looked in and told her she couldn't go in unless she got rid of it. The attendant was very rude and abrupt. So she went back out to the car and when she returned she asked to speak to the manager. They walked to the front of the line where ladies were being let through carrying purses and shopping bags from nearby stores. There was now a different attendant and no bags were being searched. This procedure is absolutely absurd!
Anybody else with similar experiences at Regal Cinemas?

Don't check your rights at the door!

Thanks for the link Akarunway. I myself do carry concealed and have done so for the past 21 years, since I was legal to do so.
I just got home tonight from the movies, where I asked the manager what the reason for the bag checks were. He stated the obvious that it was for safety. I told him of my mothers experience in Ca. and asked if they had the same policy. I asked about mace specifically and he did not know what that was, I then reiterated with pepper spray, then he knew.
No-where on the ticket counter or entrance doors is there any mention of prohibiting guns, knives, pepper spray etc. I asked if artificial rights trumped natural rights and he replied by stating that the lawyers said that they are right.
I understand that it is private property but I find it rather odd that they will deny you entrance when there is no physical sign that states certain items are not allowed.
I think it's all about money and they are just discouraging people from bringing in their own restaurant!

"Safety" was nothing but a convenient excuse for them to start digging through peoples possession in search of candy and soda. Concessions are the biggest money maker for the theaters. You know as well as i do that theaters have been chomping at the bit to have a good excuse to pat down folks forever, it was all too convenient for them to have an opportunity to veil that action in "safety". Do they seriously expect me to believe that they want a zit faced 16 year old kid to confront someone hell bent on getting a gun or any other weapon in a theater?