funjumper101

The NRA’s profit soars as gun deaths mount

funjumper101

******Thanks for your post. It reminded me to send another $100 to the NRA.

Me too.

I hear the sounds of credulous sheep bleating, as expected.

Sending more money to a "non-profit" organization that has millions of excess revenue in the bank would be something that only easily led dullards would do. Idiots are free to waste their money on whatever shiny thing they are sold.

Jump tickets would have been a better expenditure of resources.

Hell

I think congress should give the NRA 50 million a year or maybe more

Why not
They do it for PP
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

StreetScooby

Isn't the NRA non-profit?

The NRA has several different organizations.
One is a "foundation" which is non-profit and is devoted to charity.
Another is the membership organization, which is for profit.
Yet another is the political organization, which operates under different rules.

These things move in cycles:
Public shooting occurs.
Politicians call for more gun control.
Citizens fear gun restrictions and go buy guns now fearing they won't be able to later.
Gun makers profit.
Citizens join the NRA to fight against the gun restrictions so they can keep their guns.
The NRA profits.

If the politicians would focus on the real problem, instead of threatening to take guns from law-abiding citizens, the gun-buying and NRA-joining cycles would stop.

Socrates

***Isn't the NRA non-profit?

Yet another is the political organization, which operates under different rules.

Public shooting occurs.
Citizens fear gun restrictions and go buy guns now fearing they won't be able to later.
Gun makers profit.
Citizens join the NRA to fight against the gun restrictions so they can keep their guns.
The NRA profits.

If the politicians would focus on the real problem, instead of threatening to take guns from law-abiding citizens, the gun-buying and NRA-joining cycles would stop.

This is one of the most simplistically intelligent ways I have seen someone describe the situation.

Not to mention that by "focusing on the real problem" the public shootings will decrease as well, which is ultimately the goal, right? It's hard to tell anymore, as some people prove to care nothing about violence or public safety and only care that an object they don't like goes away.

>If the politicians would focus on the real problem, instead of threatening to
>take guns from law-abiding citizens, the gun-buying and NRA-joining cycles
>would stop.

And if the NRA would stop framing every single attempt to even research gun violence as "threatening to take guns from law-abiding citizens" then the cycles of fear and panic would stop - and we might actually be able to prevent a few mass shootings, instead of just launching into knee-jerk "GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY GUN!" reactions every time there is a shooting.

Is it not a knee-jerk reaction of the President to address the nation with his list of reactionary gun control measures the very day of the shooting?

Or, more plausibly, dose he have his little wish list of gun bans all ironed out and has just been sitting on it, waiting for the opportunity to take advantage of a tragety so he can capitalize off of the emotions of victims' families?

After all, timing is key!

jbscout2002

Is it not a knee-jerk reaction of the President to address the nation with his list of reactionary gun control measures the very day of the shooting?

The President addresses the nation after a tragedy and according to the gun lobby the sky is falling.

Better buy some more guns.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Socrates

***Isn't the NRA non-profit?

Public shooting occurs.
Gun makers profit.
The NRA profits.

And the real problem is.....?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Is it not a knee-jerk reaction of the President to address the nation with his list of reactionary gun control measures the very day of the shooting?

The President addresses the nation after a tragedy and according to the gun lobby the sky is falling.

Better buy some more guns.

The blood was not dry
He addressed guns and ignored for the most part the victims

He was a dick
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

******Isn't the NRA non-profit?

Public shooting occurs.
Gun makers profit.
The NRA profits.

And the real problem is.....?

People like you who attack a symptom and turn a blind eye to the real problem
Abraham Lincoln

He's meeting with the victims on Friday. That probably trumps talking about them without consulting them. Otherwise, of course it was a knee jerk reaction. We expect that of our president these days. Train derailment, weather disaster; if he addresses them, he's wrong, if he doesn't, he's wrong.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

He's meeting with the victims on Friday. That probably trumps talking about them without consulting them. Otherwise, of course it was a knee jerk reaction. We expect that of our president these days. Train derailment, weather disaster; if he addresses them, he's wrong, if he doesn't, he's wrong.

Wendy P.

Sorry Wendy
I do not agree with you

I have no problem him coming on air to express sympathy to the families and offer any help he can

But this President has a full and documented history of going knee jerk and political.
First one I can remember? "That officer acted stupidly"
Remember that one?

He cant help himself
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***He's meeting with the victims on Friday. That probably trumps talking about them without consulting them. Otherwise, of course it was a knee jerk reaction. We expect that of our president these days. Train derailment, weather disaster; if he addresses them, he's wrong, if he doesn't, he's wrong.

Wendy P.

Sorry Wendy
I do not agree with you

I have no problem him coming on air to express sympathy to the families and offer any help he can

But this President has a full and documented history of going knee jerk and political.
Remember that one?

He cant help himself

Meh.

He didn't fail to act on intelligence to stop the biggest terrorist attack on US soil, killing thousands.

Then he also didn't use faulty intelligence to invade the wrong country, creating one of the worst organizations we have seen in a while.

All in all I'll take Obama's mistakes over Bush's. I am sure you will disagree.

SkyDekker

******He's meeting with the victims on Friday. That probably trumps talking about them without consulting them. Otherwise, of course it was a knee jerk reaction. We expect that of our president these days. Train derailment, weather disaster; if he addresses them, he's wrong, if he doesn't, he's wrong.

Wendy P.

Sorry Wendy
I do not agree with you

Remember that one?

He cant help himself

Meh.

He didn't fail to act on intelligence to stop the biggest terrorist attack on US soil, killing thousands.

Then he also didn't use faulty intelligence to invade the wrong country, creating one of the worst organizations we have seen in a while.

All in all I'll take Obama's mistakes over Bush's. I am sure you will disagree.

since what you post is misleading at best?

Ya, I will disagree with you
Abraham Lincoln

misleading at best

Kind of like that faulty intelligence, eh?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Is it not a knee-jerk reaction of the President to address the nation with his list
>of reactionary gun control measures the very day of the shooting?

No - in fact, that is his job.

>Or, more plausibly, dose he have his little wish list of gun bans all ironed out
>and has just been sitting on it, waiting for the opportunity to take advantage of
>a tragety so he can capitalize off of the emotions of victims' families?

The above is a perfect example of how the NRA has managed the debate, so that any suggestion at all, no matter how rational, is immediately labeled as "part of a little wish list of gun bans to take advantage of a tragedy."

If you want to keep seeing shootings like this, then do nothing. Sit on your butt and attack Obama. It's exactly what the NRA wants you to do. Just whatever you do, don't research the facts about gun violence; actual facts have proven toxic to the NRA.

Some people will never be able to see through their hatred for the current president.
Dislike, disagree, sure.
The hatred and vile comments with a total lack of respect for the office.
Sad really.
Some of those even call themselves "patriots".
ha.

normiss

Some people will never be able to see through their hatred for the current president.
Dislike, disagree, sure.
Sad really.
ha.

Nothing like those posts aimed at Bush, regularly, has been seen here directed at Obama
Not even close
Abraham Lincoln

wmw999

Wendy P.

As long as he doesn't act stupidly.

Maybe they can have a beer summit.:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

Dislike, disagree, sure.
Sad really.
ha.

true dat just as some people have to keep bringing up past presidents every time the current one is disparaged.

same ol same ol :S

can we not have a discussion about 1 without bringing up the other?
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!